The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Mr.B »

bannination wrote: "You don't know me."
Nor you me; but with all your put-downs of me, one would think we're next-door neighbors.
Vrede wrote: "Since when does that matter to a believer?"
At least I am a believer....thank you..... :clap: ......and yes, it does matter; I care.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Mr.B wrote:
bannination wrote: "You don't know me."
Nor you me; but with all your put-downs of me, one would think we're next-door neighbors.
Vrede wrote: "Since when does that matter to a believer?"
At least I am a believer....thank you..... :clap: ......and yes, it does matter; I care.
I do know about you though. You're a prejudiced homophobe that supports the treating some human beings as somehow unworthy of the same rights as the rest. That's not a "put down" that's a description of yourself you've admitted to. If you don't like your reflection you should probably reexamine your beliefs.

Wanna tell me how you come up with me running away from people in need? Or is that something the church taught you about atheists?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:"Apparently, you don't "care" that banni is saying that your claim that he runs "in the opposite direction" from the needy is a false accusation."
Don't be such a crybaby..... :crybaby: :crybaby:
You'd...as in 'you would'. I didn't say he did, nor claim he did.
bannination wrote: "I do know about you though. You're a prejudiced homophobe that supports the treating some human beings as somehow unworthy of the same rights as the rest. That's not a "put down" that's a description of yourself you've admitted to. If you don't like your reflection you should probably reexamine your beliefs."
Wrong again, dude. That's your opinion of me. Anyone who oppose homosexuality, in yours and Vrede's small minds, is a homophobe. Because of our beliefs, that doesn't mean we support "treating some human beings as somehow unworthy". All are created equal; being perverted is for God to judge. As I've said before; people can be what they want (or desire what they want)...that doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

"Wanna tell me how you come up with me running away from people in need? Or is that something the church taught you about atheists?"
You'd...as in 'you would'. I didn't say you would, nor claim you did. We don't discuss atheism in church; especially in the same sense that you put down Christians with your cute little cartoons. Why would you think that cartoon represented the way that Christians (or churches) was the only way they asked for money?.....and besides, that cartoon insinuates that Christians don't help the needy either.

You and Vrede done got your step-ins in a wad over you being 'criticized' while not recognizing you were doing the very same thing......

What's good for the goose and all that.....

bannination
Captain

I wonder what percent of Mr. B's church budget is used for charity.

I know the average church spends 82% on personnel and buildings..... charities keep their overhead much less so that they can well.... help people.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Yeah, I don't know of an instance in which the Red Cross has asked some unfortunate person if they're a Christian or a homosexual prior to offering them assistance.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:Well, that didn't last long. The Catholic Church's 2010 ending of the code of silence - the Vatican now instructs bishops to report child abuse to police - but only where required by law - is slowly being reversed.

Italy's bishops have adopted a policy, with backing from the Vatican, that states they are not obliged to inform police officers.

So congratulations to the faithful! There will be less opportunity for the heathen to criticize the Church for raping little boys and then having them castrated - the rapes being entirely their fault - when it gets reported.
Robert Geisinger, Vatican sex-crime investigator, tied to coverup
An American priest named by Pope Francis as the Vatican's sex crimes prosecutor in September was among church officials who failed to report an abusive priest to law enforcement, according to legal documents reviewed by The Boston Globe.
Stay classy, Church.

bannination
Captain

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

neoplacebo wrote:"Yeah, I don't know of an instance in which the Red Cross has asked some unfortunate person if they're a Christian or a homosexual prior to offering them assistance."
Perhaps you can, though, tell us of an instance in which a church "has asked some unfortunate person if they're a Christian or a homosexual prior to offering them assistance".
Vrede wrote:"To be fair, I don't think that most Christian charities insist that the recipient be Christian - though many recipients have to sit through the preaching -
Not necessarily, at least in my church. Attending "the preaching" is not a requirement for receiving assistance.
.....and I doubt that many ask about sexual orientation."
If they have, I don't know about it.

However, thanks for your insight...that was a meaningful exchange.

"I think how the recipients spend the money is different from the point of the cartoon, which is how the money is asked for and how society responds to that asking. As banni says, church spending is suspect, but it's also true that the panhandler might spend the money on crack or booze."
Another excellent observation. Our church does not give money in a majority of instances. We've had numerous what appeared to be families, appear at our church asking for money for food and gas to 'get home on'. They were told they would be taken to fill up their car and then to a restaurant for a meal........we've filled very few gas tanks or bellies with that policy. However, in-home needy families is our largest local ministry.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Mr.B wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:"Yeah, I don't know of an instance in which the Red Cross has asked some unfortunate person if they're a Christian or a homosexual prior to offering them assistance."
Perhaps you can, though, tell us of an instance in which a church "has asked some unfortunate person if they're a Christian or a homosexual prior to offering them assistance".
.[/color]
[/quote]
No, can't do that, either. I can't imagine even considering what someone's religious or sexual inclinations may be if they're in desperate need of help. Can you?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

neoplacebo wrote: "I can't imagine even considering what someone's religious or sexual inclinations may be if they're in desperate need of help. Can you?"
No.
Vrede wrote: "I still think you wronged banni by saying he wouldn't give when you have no idea."
I think Banni's posting of that cartoon was in poor taste; probably in as much poor taste as my comment.
To me it suggested that Christians, as a whole, ignored the poor. I'm certain of the vultures out there operating in the name of Christianity who siphon money off the generous, but to label all Christians as vultures is ludicrous and demeaning.

Remember my favorite line....? "Just because one calls................"

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:the vultures out there operating in the name of Christianity
As opposed to the bigots out there operating in the name of Christianity.

Being a Christian church doesn't mean being a vulture or being homophobic. Many if not most Christians are against such things. But there are certainly many - like yourself - who do one or the other in the name of Christianity.

You of all people have no right to complain when such actions result in other Christians being labelled.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:"Just because you call someone non-Christian doesn't mean they aren't Christian."
So that means I can murder, rape, steal, lie, or be a politician <oops!>, and I can still be a Christian?
What I call someone don't amount to a hill of beans....what's in their heart and their relationship with Christ is the difference.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote: "As opposed to the bigots out there operating in the name of Christianity."
The Bible condemns homosexuality; plain and simple.

"Being a Christian church doesn't mean being a vulture or being homophobic. Many if not most Christians are against such things. But there are certainly many - like yourself - who do one or the other in the name of Christianity."
Just because one calls........well, you know. Being a Christian means hating the sin, not the sinner.

You of all people have no right to complain when such actions result in other Christians being labelled.(sic)
"Homophobe" is a label. Because I believe the teachings of the Bible, I guess, by the standards of the 'tares', I'm a homophobe.
BTW......who cares what I'm called? Sticks and stones and all that.....

bannination
Captain

I admit, it took me a couple minutes before I got it.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: "I pray that you will find redemption someday."
That'll be the day.... :shock:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Let's show a little respect here; what about the Turkey God? goddle, goddle. :shock:

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Don't get fooled by the click-bait style title. This is a serious academic and sourced article worthy of the time spent reading. Not that any of this applies to Mr.B's personal version of religion, of course, but those other people might take notes.

"The crazy-making in Christianity: Religion’s cycle of self-doubt and self-punishment
Christians like to talk about the benefits of faith. But what if the exact opposite is true?"

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/27/the_cra ... unishment/

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:Don't get fooled by the click-bait style title. This is a serious academic and sourced article worthy of the time spent reading. Not that any of this applies to Mr.B's personal version of religion, of course, but those other people might take notes.

"The crazy-making in Christianity: Religion’s cycle of self-doubt and self-punishment
Christians like to talk about the benefits of faith. But what if the exact opposite is true?"

http://www.salon.com/2014/11/27/the_cra ... unishment/
I believe the exact opposite is true. Man created God.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: "There is no God, Satan invented him in order to lead weak souls astray."
© Copyright 2009-2014 "The Gospel According To Vrede"
All Rights Reserved

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote:Unless you mean that you are beyond redemption once again you screwed yourself by not just using the "quote" feature, in this case by dishonestly removing the " ;) "....Once again you screwed yourself by not just using the "quote" feature, in this case by dishonestly removing the " :D ".
OMG! I just felt the earth move! I am so dishonest! I left the emoticons out! The world's gonna end! OMG! Whatever are we going to do?!