Hillary

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Hillary

Unread post by Vrede too »

I don't know about the March haircut but I thought Hillary looked great for her DNC speech, best I'd seen her in awhile. For the most important speech of her life, $6000 would have been worth it. Ask 1960 Nixon if being presentable matters.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Yeah, I bet Nixon would have paid $600 for a good shave and some sweat-absorbing make-up. Nixon, incidentally, was another who was not "filthy rich" but had reminded all that Pat wore a "respectable Republican cloth coat"

Yeah, I know - he really was a crook, and he should never have been elected/re-elected for what he did in Vietnam, but it's just mind-boggling how good he looks compared to the current crop.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Boatrocker wrote:
rstrong wrote:. . . No competent investigative reporter would repeat the claim. You on the other hand....
Good point. And, not to defend Seth, but competent is a sliding scale these days, especially when the topic is the trump kampfpaign. In that context, anyone who can pick their own nose without causing permanent dain bramage is a rocket scientist.
:lol: :lol: Good analogy!

I suppose I can clarify a couple of things now, since I no longer live under a cloud; although, in reality it's none of V and r's business.
I was not a "journalist" or even an "investigative reporter" in the sense of the words. I investigated and reported my findings. Language and/or writing skills or book and online research was not a required skill, but, how to hack became a learned skill. Simple as that.

I never said what venue I reported to/in, nor what my investigations entailed. 'nuff sed.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:I don't know about the March haircut but I thought Hillary looked great for her DNC speech, best I'd seen her in awhile. For the most important speech of her life, $6000 would have been worth it. Ask 1960 Nixon if being presentable matters.
I thought she looked pretty damn good myself; however, $600 whether true or overblown, was a tad much for someone who's presenting themselves as a crusader for the downtrodden.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

So far, understanding that we'll never be unanimous on each item, the list includes:

She's better than Trump (or any other Republican). It really doesn't matter if she's the Devil's concubine or if she's the reincarnation of Tammany Hall. :D
Really no worse than Colin Powell and really, really no worse than Jeb! :P
Tried to get us universal healthcare 23 years ago, and took a truckload of unwarranted personal heat for it.
Has always kept fighting effectively no matter what was thrown at her.
Once having left Arkansas she never went back ("probably" a positive for her and Arkansas).
Hillary has the most directly applicable professional experience of most any other Presidential candidate, ever. And in all those jobs, she has done a competent job.
Building relationships and bridges. Hillary understands that.
Will try to overturn Citizens United and increase transparency in campaign funding.
Corrupt but competent, not slimy and shoddy. :D
Good DNC speaker lineup.
Fluent in Spanish VP pick.
Long time children's advocate.
Most progressive Dem Platform ever.
The Supreme Court!!!
Would be our 1st female Head of State, thus catching us up with several Muslim nations.
Mythological.
Better option for having access to all US nuclear weapons.
Looked great for her DNC speech, better than 1960 Nixon. :D
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:(Apr 17, 2015:) My career was that of an investigative reporter, I didn't choose where to live, I transferred there, and in practically every move, it was a sacrifice, a sacrifice for me and my family, and a decision as to how much I needed my job.
Seth Milner wrote:(Jul 16, 2015:) Now, for sure, none of this is really my business, but I'm an investigative reporter,...
Seth Milner wrote:(Aug 09, 2015:) I was a nosey s.o.b. in investigative journalism. I was not a well-liked person; hence the pseudonym. It's not uncommon for your local TV news reporters to use names that are not real, as generally, they move around a lot.
etc.
Seth Milner wrote:(Aug 12, 2016:) I was not a "journalist" or even an "investigative reporter" in the sense of the words.
:roll:

Schrödinger's investigative reporter.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote: Schrödinger's investigative reporter.
I was just joking. :wave:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:... Schrödinger's investigative reporter.
:lol:

Douchebag.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Seth Milner wrote: I suppose I can clarify a couple of things now, since I no longer live under a cloud; although, in reality it's none of V and r's business.
I was not a "journalist" or even an "investigative reporter" in the sense of the words. I investigated and reported my findings. Language and/or writing skills or book and online research was not a required skill, but, how to hack became a learned skill. Simple as that.

I never said what venue I reported to/in, nor what my investigations entailed. 'nuff sed.
rstrong wrote: Schrödinger's investigative reporter.
You should have been an "investigative reporter" yourself, seeing as how you invested your time to go back and look up my posts in order to make you shine. Good show. Dear Abby must have given you good advice.
Vrede too wrote:Douchebag.
Been called that a few times too; without the Schrödinger handle, though.
Mr. strong, since you're so adept at looking up my past posts, perhaps you'll recall this:

Dec 07, 2015 Seth Milner wrote:
"When your job is to expose and bring to justice the frauds, sleazebags, and senior-adult robbers, you don't go un-noticed.
Have either of you ever had a credible threat on your life?"

Read the first line of the quote of me above. If you put two and two together; you might comprehend the meaning of my saying "I no longer live under a cloud", and secondly, "I was not an "investigative reporter" in the sense of the words".
Many of my investigations were of people in high places, and I paid for it; dearly.

Laugh and call all the names you wish; I wouldn't wish on anyone what my working life was like --- nor the consequences I suffered.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Good photo though.
(maybe it's the lighting, but does her chin need a shave?)

O Really
Admiral

From RedState discussion (which also included the admission that "there aren't as many conservatives in this country as we thought")

"Democrats spent the last eight years undermining much of what makes this country special, Benson said. Now, we're about to elect a woman he called both "corrupt" and a "liar" who could do even worse."

OK, so you can find examples where Hillary - or any politician "lies", and you could twist emails or charitable foundations into "corruption," but still.
Would anybody like to take a crack at exactly what he means by "undermining much of what makes this country special" and exactly what he expects Hillary to do (or not do) that would be "even worse"?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:Would anybody like to take a crack at exactly what he means by "undermining much of what makes this country special" and exactly what he expects Hillary to do (or not do) that would be "even worse"?
That's certainly a tough one given the alternatives. Take away Trump, and the distant second place Republican in 2016 - but still well ahead of any of his other rivals - if Ted Cruz. Even many Republicans will admit that Hillary looks like a paragon of honesty compared to Cruz.

Then there's Jeb!, who many non-Tea Party Republicans expected to nominate. And who provided safe haven to a terrorist responsible not only for bombing a passenger airline out of the sky, but a car bombing in Washington DC.

Hillary doesn't look good on the honesty front except when you stand her next to ANYONE in the 2016 or 2012 Republican clown cars. And probably a few election cycles before that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:Would anybody like to take a crack at exactly what he means by "undermining much of what makes this country special"

Undermining hetero male white supremacy.

and exactly what he expects Hillary to do (or not do) that would be "even worse"?

Shove it in their faces just by being POTUS.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:Hillary doesn't look good on the honesty front except when you stand her next to ANYONE in the 2016 or 2012 Republican clown cars. And probably a few election cycles before that.
In 1987 I was sitting in the Heineken Bar in in the Hotel National in Moscow with some Americans, Russians and an Australian. The Russians were razzing the Americans about the Iran-Contra hearings, saying that Reagan was another Nixon.

My take: "There's a big difference. When Nixon said he didn't know what was going on, the big fear was that he might be lying. When Reagan says he didn't know what was going on, the big fear is that he might be telling the truth."

When Hillary makes a claim, the fear is that she might not be sincere.

Every time Trump makes a claim, the big fear is that he's actually sincere, that he actually believes it. (The same goes for Cruz, Carson, Fiorina, Huckabee and the rest.)

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote: I thought she looked pretty damn good myself; however, $600 whether true or overblown, was a tad much for someone who's presenting themselves as a crusader for the downtrodden.
Wait - so a crusader for the downtrodden has to be downtrodden? Or act downtrodden even if they're not? I did not know that.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

You would think that someone that made a career out of media would have learned, like it or not, that presentation counts as much towards impact as content does.

Besides, as O Really implies it's been decades since anyone mistook Hillary for "downtrodden". Either they like what she will do for the downtrodden or not. That's what people will vote on.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede, you need to back up a bit on this thread and read, re: "someone that made a career out of media".
O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote: I thought she looked pretty damn good myself; however, $600 whether true or overblown, was a tad much for someone who's presenting themselves as a crusader for the downtrodden.
Wait - so a crusader for the downtrodden has to be downtrodden? Or act downtrodden even if they're not? I did not know that.
Not at all. It's called "presenting an image", or "setting an example".

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:Not at all. It's called "presenting an image", or "setting an example".
And....? She's spent a long time advocating for women's rights, access to healthcare and more. Compare that to Trump. Or Cruz. Or Romney. Short of apologizing for being a successful woman - essentially what right-wingnuts like you want - she's set a good example in that regard.

O Really
Admiral

It seems to me that Hillary is presenting an image of a highly successful person who is capable of being President of the United States, which some say is the most powerful political position in the world. It seems that she is setting an example for anyone who cares to about it that hard work and persistence toward a goal can sometimes pay off - even against big odds.

So I'm guessing if you were looking for a lawyer to do something simple like a will or maybe even a real estate transaction, you might pick one who drives a ratty Honda and wears polyester suits because you think he would have lower fees. But I'll bet if you were going to be on trial for your life, you'd pick one who drives the Mercedes, wears Hermes ties, and gets a good haircut. Why? because he's wearing things that say he gets paid a lot of his work and that implies he does it well. (Or at least knows how to fake it well, but still)

One of the things I found really annoying about Jimmy Carter (other than an effin' President of the US calling himself "Jimmy") was him carrying his luggage down the steps of Air Force One. Nobody wants to see the effin' President carrying his own luggage. Nobody wants to see a President (or Presidential candidate) with a box dye job.