The homophobic thread :>

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The homophobic thread :>

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Maybe this is why God said . . . .

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:...yet display enough "expertise" to claim that what the Bible teaches is in essence, bigotry and homophobia.
I do no such thing.

The Bible comes from many sources with - as you say - many agendas. The New Testament was assembled from various writings almost 400 years later. Some writings and common beliefs were included, and others were excluded and suppressed. *One* of those sources is Paul, who converted a couple years after Jesus's death.

Obviously there's some teaching of bigotry, mostly in the Old Testament. But the overall message of the New Testament is the opposite: Peace and respect for one's fellow humans. Mr.B's cherry-picking doesn't just reject inconvenient passages, it rejects the overall message.
Seth Milner wrote:The fact that "Jesus said nothing about homosexuality" does not mean homosexuality and effeminacy is OK simply because liberal minds thinks it is or should be.
Likewise it doesn't mean they're condemned just because the right-wing* thinks it should be.

* I'm not going to say "conservative", because that's not a conservative position. There are plenty of conservatives - including clergy - who support same-sex marriage.
Seth Milner wrote:If there is a God, they will answer to Him, and from what I have read, it ain't gonna be pretty.
If so, the same goes for those who let women speak in their churches, those who shaved their beards, those who worked on Sundays, those who wore a mix of fabrics, those who failed to kill others for a variety of transgressions, etc. etc. etc.

And if you believe in a future rapture, second coming or end times, don't forget:

"And they sung as it were a new song before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song but the hundred and forty and four thousand, which were redeemed from the earth. These are they which were not defiled with women; for they are virgins."
- Revelations 14, 3-4, KJV

Only 144,000 were to be saved. Not only are women not in on the thousand year reign of Jesus but those that were "defiled by women" are disqualified. If you are not male AND a virgin then you are not to be saved from the tribulations.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Whatever the Bible says or doesn't say is of no more consequence as a personal guide than what is written in the Qur'an, the Vedas, or I Ching to one who does not find them divine.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:Granted, you're all Palin/Santorum/Trump on the outside too.
You're still obsessing and lusting after them? You don't give up easily, do you?

For a thousand years - from roughly 500AD to 1500AD - the Christian church performed same-sex unions. Granted they were unions and not marriages, but they were sanctified with ceremonies very similar to heterosexual marriage ceremonies.
So says the author of a book sold on Amazon.com

These days a growing number of Christian denominations support and perform same-sex marriages, including the largest Protestant denomination in the country. Even the Catholic church considers homosexual Christians to be Christians, even if they don't support same-sex marriages.
Big frickin' deal. The Bible that they live by still states homosexuality and effeminacy is an abomination. These days a growing number of church leaders are involved in illicit extramarital affairs; male and female; these days a growing number of church leaders are involved in a number of illegal activities, including pedophilia, drugs, etc. You tout the Catholic church's supporting same-sex marriage; the same church (or denomination) that attempted to cover up their priests raping children. Devout Christians? Because these churches cater to "lusts of the flesh" doesn't mean what they are doing is sanctified in the eyes of the God they're supposed to be following in the sense of Godly living. Your support and embracing is a pitiful flop

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:Granted, you're all Palin/Santorum/Trump on the outside too.
You're still obsessing and lusting after them? You don't give up easily, do you?
You're the one who treats every goddamned stupid thing they say as gospel.

For a thousand years - from roughly 500AD to 1500AD - the Christian church performed same-sex unions. Granted they were unions and not marriages, but they were sanctified with ceremonies very similar to heterosexual marriage ceremonies.
So says the author of a book sold on Amazon.com
....the author being a prominent historian and a professor at Yale University.

These days a growing number of Christian denominations support and perform same-sex marriages, including the largest Protestant denomination in the country. Even the Catholic church considers homosexual Christians to be Christians, even if they don't support same-sex marriages.
Big frickin' deal. The Bible that they live by still states homosexuality and effeminacy is an abomination.
It states the same thing about letting women speak in church, about working on a Sunday, about shaving your beard, eating shellfish, planting two different crops in the same field, wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread, etc. etc. etc. And yet are common and perfectly acceptable for the vast majority of Christians.

And yet somehow you don't any problem with those. For you the Bible consists EXCLUSIVELY of the one verse that validates your personal bigotry.

the same church (or denomination) that attempted to cover up their priests raping children.
And many other crimes over the years. That's supposed to support YOUR argument? They're the main hold-out AGAINST same-sex marriage.
:roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

[color=#800000]Seth Milner[/color] wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Ciara and Russell Wilson Changed Their Wedding Venue Due to North Carolina’s Transgender Bathroom Law

Everybody has personal agendas. Good way to get exposure and your name in the news I suppose....

Ummm, they were married in July and as far as I know they made no announcement re HB2. As is clear from the article, it's just something mentioned offhand by their wedding planner in a broader discussion of the event. Seth Milner fails comprehension, again.

Fwiw, Wilson is a devout Christian, not sure about Ciara.
From your Wikipedia link: ...

That's not from my Wikipedia link. Seth Milner fails citation, again.

It's not stated what group or denomination Wilson is a member of. Probably FSM. :wtf:

If you weren't too lazy to follow the footnote you would have found that he expresses pretty standard evangelical fare. Seth Milner just makes stuff up when his bigoted worldview is challenged, again.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Seth Milner wrote:...yet display enough "expertise" to claim that what the Bible teaches is in essence, bigotry and homophobia.
The Bible teaches lots of things, many of them contradictory. In this debate the Bible's overall message is less important than the fact that a rapidly diminishing number of Christians seize on a few passages to justify their modern bigotry, just as they once did in justifying slavery, misogyny and Jim Crow.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Seth Milner wrote:...So says the author of a book sold on Amazon.com
Amazon.com: Bible

76 pages. :lol:
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:...So says the author of a book sold on Amazon.com
Amazon.com: Bible

76 pages. :lol:
76 pages??? Dang; I thought there were 79 pages!!

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Everybody cherry-picks the bible. Everybody. No exceptions. Even amongst those deluded souls who contend that it is infallible and unerring.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:Whatever the Bible says or doesn't say is of no more consequence as a personal guide than what is written in the Qur'an, the Vedas, or I Ching to one who does not find them divine.
I interpret cave and cliff drawings to suit my preferences and use those interpretations as a guide to all things except as a guide to cable tv. ok

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:Granted, you're all Palin/Santorum/Trump on the outside too.
You're the one who treats every goddamned stupid thing they say as gospel.
Where in the last three frigs do you get that notion? I have never shown or advocated support for those people; hell you can't even keep your shit straight; you left out Huckabee. You must be more in love with him than the others. Grow up or run down to your nearest Dollar General and get a life; they're on sale. You're a fine one to call someone "goddamned stupid"; look in your mirror.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:Everybody has personal agendas.
In this case, human rights. Nothing wrong with that.
Well, let's take a looky-look at this so-called human rights bullshit.

Liberal thinkers, homosexuals, "gender-confused", atheists, etc.,wants the government to have absolutely no part in anything to do with religion, but they insist the government enforce laws that override long-held religious beliefs.

The religious folk doesn't want the government to have any part in forcing them to accept what they have long felt, and was taught, a lifestyle that their religious teachings call depraved and unnatural.

This world's thinking is fucked up; pardon my liberal-French.

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:
rstrong wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:Everybody has personal agendas.
In this case, human rights. Nothing wrong with that.
Well, let's take a looky-look at this so-called human rights bullshit.

Liberal thinkers, homosexuals, "gender-confused", atheists, etc.,wants the government to have absolutely no part in anything to do with religion, but they insist the government enforce laws that override long-held religious beliefs.

The religious folk doesn't want the government to have any part in forcing them to accept what they have long felt, and was taught, a lifestyle that their religious teachings call depraved and unnatural.

This world's thinking is fucked up; pardon my liberal-French.
Well, let's look at your two statements:
There are no laws that override long-held religious beliefs, but let's say there were. So what? Just because you have a long-held belief that the world is flat, should you be allowed to teach that in a public school? Why are religious beliefs any different?

The religious folk don't have to accept anything conflicting with whatever they think is depraved. They just can't affect the lives of others with that belief.

If there is a law that says people of the same gender can get married, that affects not in the least anybody who finds that offensive or believes all gays are devil's spawn. On the other hand, if there is a law that says they can't get married, then citizens of a different or no religious belief are being negatively affected by someone else's religion.

But you know that, of course. It's just more fun for you to be the god's advocate.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:But you know that, of course. It's just more fun for you to be the god's advocate.
I don't know about being an advocate for any god, or God, but it is fun to see you-know-who get their panties all in a wad when I post something derogative about any subject dear to their hearts. :lol:

'Ol rstrong invokes his Palin/Santorum/Huckabee/Trump spiel and Vrede too . . . well, Vrede too.

I do wonder though; if a Westborian (you know, one of those "devout Christians") went into a homosexual-owned bakery and ordered a wedding cake and wanted to have it say something like "No Fags in This Wedding", and the owner refused; do you think that bakery owner would be hauled into court and fined like the Christian bakery owners that refused to make a wedding cake for a homosexual wedding were? To be honest, I seriously doubt it.

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote: I do wonder though; if a Westborian (you know, one of those "devout Christians") went into a homosexual-owned bakery and ordered a wedding cake and wanted to have it say something like "No Fags in This Wedding", and the owner refused; do you think that bakery owner would be hauled into court and fined like the Christian bakery owners that refused to make a wedding cake for a homosexual wedding were? To be honest, I seriously doubt it.
They wouldn't, but maybe not for the reason you think. They could refuse to make a cake with that writing on it on the same basis as refusing to make a cake with other language or imagery generally considered offensive. They could refuse to make a cake in the shape of a penis, or whatever. The difference was that the Christian bakers weren't arguing over language - they refused to make a cake at all for the couple. And, they could have gotten by with that simply by saying "I'm sorry, we're booked up, but Dino's down the street makes really good cakes." But instead, they chose to make an issue over it, saying they wouldn't make the cake because the potential customers were having a homosexual wedding. In your Westboro example, the potential customer is asking for something widely considered offensive and possibly hate language, which the baker would refuse no matter who asked for it. The original gay couple just wanted the same cake the baker sold to everyone else.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:YA"LL MOTHERFUCKERS NEED JESUS!
I do! And his friend Jose, too. The lawn is getting a bit long over here.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

They 're busy picking our food, caring for our kids and grandparents, constructing and maintaining our buildings and roads, and helping to defeat Trump.

Of course, that same exact thing has been explained to Seth Milner many, many times here and by other sources. Since passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act bakers nationally also can't refuse the same cake they sell to everyone else to the chronically slow like Seth Milner.

They can still refuse to sell cakes to gay couples in NC and SC since discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity is not yet precluded under federal, NC or SC law. Soon, though. Ironically, some Christians, a rapidly shrinking minority of them, screech like Seth Milner about gays merely realizing the same protections in commercial transactions that Christians enjoy from all states' bans on discrimination based on religion. What is it the Bible says about hypocrites?
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too wrote:They 're busy picking our food, caring for our kids and grandparents, constructing and maintaining our buildings and roads, and helping to defeat Trump. What is it the Bible says about hypocrites?
Well put question. You wear the label rather well; clue us in.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

[img]http://www.blueridgedebate.com/download/file.php?avatar=114_1351184468.gif[/img] wrote:You know, the same way you dismiss facts that contradict your bigoted, homophobic, racist, misogynistic and otherwise just goddamned stupid claims.