Raid!!!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Captain

Re: Raid!!!

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:13 am

Leo Lyons wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:44 pm
10 now!

I see 9 with zero posts. Who is the 10th and are you leaving out my bud currington?
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

Leo Lyons
Marshal

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:14 pm

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:13 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
10 now!

I see 9 with zero posts. Who is the 10th and are you leaving out my bud currington?
I didn't count Currington; he/she's been around almost a year now. Right now there's 11 new Mr. B's (maybe even a homofobe) to mess with y'all's heads!
(will the real Mr. B please step forward. Inquiring minds want to know.) :lol: :D :mrgreen: :toothy:

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Leo Lyons wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:14 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:13 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
10 now!

I didn't count Currington; he/she's been around almost a year now. Right now there's 11 new Mr. B's (maybe even a homofobe) to mess with y'all's heads!
(will the real Mr. B please step forward. Inquiring minds want to know.) :lol: :D :mrgreen: :toothy:

So why aren't they messin?

Currington made one post about Oliver and was never heard from again.

12 new members to get to currington, two seem liberal. You seem to know more about all 12 than I do.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

Leo Lyons
Marshal

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:41 pm

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:43 pm
so why aren't they messin?
Beats me. Maybe to show they (he) can?

Currington made one post about Oliver and was never heard from again.
Umm, Currington's post was a reply to JTA's recipe.

12 new members to get to currington, two seem liberal. You seem to know more about all 12 than I do.
I know nothing of any of them, other than they all joined within the space of a month or so, and new members are posted on the bottom of the site page. Just thought timing was odd, since Vrede recently made mention of his old nemesis in one of his posts. (Just a bit of good-natured ribbing aimed at Vrede; the old boy ain't much at jokes fired in his direction!)

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:32 pm

I still don't understand how you count 10. Couldn't Mr. B be pretending to be a liberal?

Mr. B was posting as Oliver - then currington showed up and posted about olive oil.
Draw your own conclusion.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm

Mr B. has a Popeye fetish?

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 pm

I don't know what relation Leo has with Mr.B, if any, or for that matter what relation those he refers to as "Mr.B's" have to each other. But one somewhat unusual habit the original Mr.B had was to write in dialect.

The original Mr. B would probably say things like, "the old boy ain't much at jokes fired" or maybe he would try to "mess with y'all's heads!"

Maybe playing corn pone is catching.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 am

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:32 pm
I still don't understand how you count 10. Couldn't Mr. B be pretending to be a liberal?

Mr. B was posting as Oliver - then currington showed up and posted about olive oil.
Draw your own conclusion.
bannination wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm
Mr B. has a Popeye fetish?
O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 pm
I don't know what relation Leo has with Mr.B, if any, or for that matter what relation those he refers to as "Mr.B's" have to each other. But one somewhat unusual habit the original Mr.B had was to write in dialect.

The original Mr. B would probably say things like, "the old boy ain't much at jokes fired" or maybe he would try to "mess with y'all's heads!"

JTA wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:45 am
Here's a good side you guys might be interested in. I will provide the recipe:

- Quinoa
- Water

Boil then simmer. When the water boils off, eat.

You can throw in some spices to dress it up. Olive oil too.
Oliver! last posted on Wed Oct 04, 2017. But, Jerri/Mr.B was Last active: Sat Jan 27, 2018.
If you were going to be remembered by your peers for one thing and one thing only, would that be it? :D
So many liberals, so little time. :P

Leo Lyons
Marshal

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:51 am

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:41 pm
I don't know what relation Leo has with Mr.B, if any,
None. He and I live on different planets.

or for that matter what relation those he refers to as "Mr.B's" have to each other.
My commenting on the arrival of a group of "Mr.B's" was in reference to billy.pilgrim's comment in another post that Currington could possibly be Mr.B, and that a new poster named Oliver was accused of being Mr. B and had his postings restricted to one forum.

But one somewhat unusual habit the original Mr.B had was to write in dialect. The original Mr. B would probably say things like, "the old boy ain't much at jokes fired" or maybe he would try to "mess with y'all's heads!"
Mr.B must be a country boy too. I myself don't put on airs with big words or impressive sounding phrases. Having been raised in the deep south, we weren't much on proper English, and we spoke with a lazy sort of dialect(?), however, in my professional life, I had to brush up my wording in speech and type. Now retired, occasionally I will let my hair down and let 'er rip! BTW, I never heard the phrase "mess with y'all's heads" until the last year or so.

I loved mama's corn pone, she made the best, but calling someone "corn pone" is pretty low.

corn pone: (urban dictionary)
The term "corn pone" is often used as a noun to refer to those who have certain rural, unsophisticated peculiarities, often associated with the trashy and trailer park types. As well as an adjective to describe "hick" characteristics. The term is often directed at those from rural areas where imbreeding is rampant.

Leo Lyons
Marshal

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:54 am

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 am
If you were going to be remembered by your peers for one thing and one thing only, would that be it? :D
:lol: :lol:

GoCubsGo
Marshal

Unread post by GoCubsGo » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:14 pm

Username:wzqghr Rank:Newbie NewbieGroups: Location:Haiti Add friend Add foe
CONTACT WZQGHR
Email address:Send email to wzqghrPM:Send private messageICQ:Send ICQ messageWebsite:Visit websiteYahoo Messenger:Send YIM messageAOL:UzbekistanSkype:View Skype ProfileYouTube:View YouTube Channel
USER STATISTICS
Joined:Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:56 amLast active:Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 amTotal posts:0 | Search user’s posts
(0.00% of all posts / 0.00 posts per day

Hey! Another user from Bot-i-stan😁
Eamus Catuli~AC 000101

If Guns Made Us Safer, America Would Be The Safest Country In The World.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:08 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:14 pm
... Hey! Another user from Bot-i-stan😁
Bot-swana.

Leo Lyons
Marshal

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:40 pm

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:14 pm
Username:wzqghr Rank:Newbie NewbieGroups: Location:Haiti Add friend Add foe
CONTACT WZQGHR
Email address:Send email to wzqghrPM:Send private messageICQ:Send ICQ messageWebsite:Visit websiteYahoo Messenger:Send YIM messageAOL:UzbekistanSkype:View Skype ProfileYouTube:View YouTube Channel
USER STATISTICS
Joined:Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:56 amLast active:Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:10 amTotal posts:0 | Search user’s posts
(0.00% of all posts / 0.00 posts per day

Hey! Another user from Bot-i-stan😁
He/she's posted a website link; maybe he/she's here to help you guys with life's toughest problem. :lol: :toothy:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:58 pm

Ulysses and Whack9 are real people, definitely not Mr.B.
MatthewKollman seems like a real person, but why would Mr.B only post once then disappear?
Currington might be a real person or a bot. Why would Mr.B only post once then disappear?
The rest are almost certainly bots.
From what I've seen of the conversation, Mr.B speculation seems uber-inane to me. Could there be some other motive to it?

Leo Lyons
Marshal

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:58 pm
Ulysses and Whack9 are real people, definitely not Mr.B.
MatthewKollman seems like a real person, but why would Mr.B only post once then disappear?
Currington might be a real person or a bot. Why would Mr.B only post once then disappear?
The rest are almost certainly bots.
From what I've seen of the conversation, Mr.B speculation seems uber-inane to me. Could there be some other motive to it?
Just making light of a silly notion given the sudden proliferation of new forum members. Since I've been put on uber-ignore, uber-inane comments seems to relieve some tensions; don't you think? (what's your connection to Uber anyway?)

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:51 am

I loved mama's corn pone, she made the best, but calling someone "corn pone" is pretty low.

corn pone: (urban dictionary)
The term "corn pone" is often used as a noun to refer to those who have certain rural, unsophisticated peculiarities, often associated with the trashy and trailer park types. As well as an adjective to describe "hick" characteristics. The term is often directed at those from rural areas where imbreeding is rampant.
[/quote]

Sounds to me like perfect usage for a person who intentionally portrays him/herself as a bumpkin.
bumpkin: (urban dictionary)
An unsophisticated person. Not very intelligent or interested in culture.

Leo Lyons
Marshal

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 pm

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:18 pm
Sounds to me like perfect usage for a person who intentionally portrays him/herself as a bumpkin.
bumpkin: (urban dictionary)
An unsophisticated person. Not very intelligent or interested in culture.
Hmmm. Since when has intelligence or culture been a requirement for posting and commenting in a forum? :shock:

If you would take an honest view of most forums, you would find that it's a venue for anonymously releasing frustrations or trolling others; either over a given subject or on a person or persons who someone chooses to belittle. That attitude's been here since I've been a member, and despite the loss of the majority of thin-skinned members, it remains. Thick skin is the requirement of membership in any forum.
I like what someone else posted; 'if you're going to dish it out, be man enough to take it.'

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 pm

If you would take an honest view of most forums, you would find that it's a venue for anonymously releasing frustrations or trolling others; either over a given subject or on a person or persons who someone chooses to belittle.
That is true, and that's not a sport I care much about, thus I don't post to a lot of forums, and don't go trolling in places like CPF where most all posters are posing posteurs, pretending to be some person they aren't... or... they're all too stupid to breathe.

But I don't care how you or anyone else writes except as a matter of human curiosity. Any poster can write any way s/he wants and portray themselves as anybody they want to be. But I've found it's almost always southern people who choose to write in dialect. A lot of Canadians have a pronunciation that makes "about" sound a little like "aboot," but when they write it, they write "about." Some Philadelphia will tell you they're going cross the "wallwomen" but if they write it, it will look more like "Walt Whitman." New Yorkers pronounce the street "How-ston" instead of the Texans pronounce "Hew-ston" but when they write it, it's the same. People in Pittsburgh love their "Stillers" yet they manage to write it "Steelers."

So why is it a lot of southern people, who really do know proper spelling and usage, frequently write like they think they are Joel Chandler Harris?

Leo Lyons
Marshal

Unread post by Leo Lyons » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:35 am

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 pm
So why is it a lot of southern people, who really do know proper spelling and usage, frequently write like they think they are Joel Chandler Harris?
So why is it a lot of people think that all people should walk and talk in the manner they feel is the only proper way to convey their thoughts or feelings? What difference does it make how people talk, orally or in print? Why get overly concerned over the how or why, when they clearly understand the meaning of what someone speaks or writes? Lastly, because someone uses similar dialect or syntax as another person, why assume that particular person is emulating "the party of the first part?" (Why do lawyers speak in legalese?)

Sorry if my mannerisms offended you.

(FWIW, Joel Chandler Harris was a mostly self-educated folklorist writer whose writings bore the dialect of the slaves he grew up with.)

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:30 am

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:35 am
O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:47 pm
So why is it a lot of people think that all people should walk and talk in the manner they feel is the only proper way to convey their thoughts or feelings? What difference does it make how people talk, orally or in print? Why get overly concerned over the how or why, when they clearly understand the meaning of what someone speaks or writes? Lastly, because someone uses similar dialect or syntax as another person, why assume that particular person is emulating "the party of the first part?" (Why do lawyers speak in legalese?)

Sorry if my mannerisms offended you.

(FWIW, Joel Chandler Harris was a mostly self-educated folklorist writer whose writings bore the dialect of the slaves he grew up with.)
Good questions, Leo - and first, I'm not offended, nor do I really care how a person chooses to portray themselves except somewhat academic interest. You asked, "what difference does it make how people talk, orally or in print?" It matters only if they care about how they affect their intended "audience" or care about the response they might receive. How one speaks and writes determine to a large degree how their message is received. If a person began their post with "I'm a poorly educated, barely literate guy in a wife-beater shirt who has never read anything but comic books, and I get my news from watching my family on Jerry Springer, but this is a public forum and I'm entitled to my opinion and here's what I think about astrophysics..." Ummm, you might not put much credence in what he had to say. And a person who uses poor grammar, poor spelling, and inappropriate colloquialisms, is going to have to work really hard to get his point across through the perception fog he created. So yeah, somebody is hanging out in their 'hood with their buds, where everybody knows everybody else and first impressions have long gone past into a long history - sure - use whatever version of English, Spanglish, Blacklish, Rednecklish you want. But if your "audience" doesn't know you, and you can paint any picture you want, why choose form and language that will overshadow your message?

Look, I'm not saying the occasional "y'all" or "ain't" is bad or makes any difference. I'm not saying a misspelled word in a forum - or for that matter practically anything in a forum - matters in the overall scheme of things. And my questions aren't really about you - you're usually a pretty decent writer. Your "messing with y'alls head" just reminded me of the people I've seen before you wrote like that all the time, and thought you might have some insight as to why a person would choose to do that.

And BTW, not all lawyers speak in legalease, but the ones who do, do it so people will know (think) they're lawyers. Kinda makes my point, though in a negative way.