The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:"..... the HCSD is still intentionally sending the message that nonbelievers are less than full citizens and less than full cops."
Do you really need someone to send you a message on a decal to convey how you feel about yourself?
bannination wrote: "Just put this in a caption below "In God We Trust"
"nathiq fi alllah ...See how quick it then becomes a religious motto."
Make up something else; Nothing comes up in translation ... try again

"People like Mr. B are so transparent it's pathetic, and they actually believe they're making cogent arguments that other people should accept for a religious motto."
Right. I actually told the courts to make that decision, since it was I that coined the motto; actually.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

To no-one's surprise, the Bible Belt backed Trump.

As Alec Baldwin tweeted in reaction to the Trump win, "One thing that is changed forever in this country is the meaning of the word "Christian" as it applies to politics."

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

More good election news for the religious:

America's First Ever Hindu Congresswoman Will Take the Oath of Office Over the Bhagavad Gita
Last night, Hawaii not only elected Japan-born Mazie Hirono to be the first ever Asian-American woman elected to the Senate, they also elected Democrat Tulsi Gabbard as the first ever practicing Hindu to the US House of Representatives. Hawaii has been declared a Fox News Disaster Zone.
[...]
Other non-Christian adherent Congresspeople include Minnesota's Keith Ellison, who took his oath of office over the Qu'ran.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

rstrong wrote:To no-one's surprise, the Bible Belt backed Trump.

As Alec Baldwin tweeted in reaction to the Trump win, "One thing that is changed forever in this country is the meaning of the word "Christian" as it applies to politics."
Well, that change happened years ago, at least, for people who pay attention.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A Little Good News: We Won All Three Ballot Initiatives

People went to the polls yesterday to vote on more than just who would be the next president of the United States. Voters in two states and one city voted on ballot initiatives that would have impacted religious freedom.

Freedom of religion and belief guarantees that we can freely choose our beliefs because the government cannot compel us to follow or fund a specific faith or any faith. Each of the ballot initiatives proposed to undermine this fundamental American principle and would allow the government to aid religion. The good news is: in all three referendums, religious freedom won.

Oklahoma: Win! ...

Missouri: Win! ...

Atlantic City, N.J.: Win! ...
Atlantic City may or may not be liberal, but Oklahoma and Missouri are flaming red & Christian. :clap:
Here Are Some Interesting State Races You Might Have Missed

... North Carolina: Anti-LGBTQ Pat McCrory may be out as governor.... :thumbup:

Montana: Religious Right Republican loses to Democratic incumbent.... :thumbup:

Missouri: Attorney general race may affect pending Supreme Court case.... :think:

Texas: Outcome of Texas State Board of Education races could lead to more fights over evolution.... :thumbdown:
Did God Engineer Trump’s Win?

Political analysts have postulated a number of theories to explain the victory of Donald J. Trump in the presidential election: Hillary Clinton failed to energize the Democratic base, Trump tapped into a vein of hidden supporters, angry Rust Belt voters rose up, etc.

But some activists in the Religious Right have their own explanation: It was divine intervention....
:lol: Given that Trump got fewer votes than either Romney or McCain, their God must be a terrible campaign manager.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
To:
NC ACLU: GENERAL COMPLAINT FORM
Americans United for Separation of Church and State, americansunited@au.org

The Henderson County, NC Sheriff's Department patrol cars have "In God We Trust" printed in bold letters on the trunks. I want our LEOs to serve all citizens, believers and non-believers, equally. Is there anything that you can do?

Thanks,
Subject: Correspondence with ACLU-NC
Date: Wed, November 16, 2016 9:17 am

We acknowledge receipt of your email dated November 2, 2016 concerning an issue you wanted to bring to the attention of the ACLU of NC. Our legal director, Chris Brook, reviewed your submission and asked that I respond on his behalf.

Regarding the placement of "In God We Trust" on the Sheriff's Department's vehicles, we offer the following response. The phrase "In God We Trust" was declared the official motto of the US by Congress. In the past, people have challenged the use of the national motto on our currency and its display on government buildings, etc. However, because of the fact that this is the national motto, courts have found those uses to be constitutional. Courts view the motto as a patriotic phrase, and, in light of its historical use and significance, displays of this kind have been found to be constitutional.

You may wish to reach out to the Freedom From Religion Foundation for more input and information.

Thank you for contacting the ACLU of NC.

Sincerely,
Beth Svendsgaard
NC Certified Paralegal
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

"I want our LEOs to serve all citizens, believers and non-believers, equally."
I want, I want, I want.
You still haven't explained how that motto/decal is a dis-service to everyone.
You can't, because you just want to whine about something that draws attention to yourself.
Sorry...you lost.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol: It's like I have a mute, invisible, insecure puppy following me around and piddling on the carpet, poor masochistic (nttawwt) and obsessed thing. Once a pathetic stalker, always a pathetic stalker.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:"I want our LEOs to serve all citizens, believers and non-believers, equally."
I want, I want, I want.
They're REQUIRED to serve all citizens equally. With good reason. Only hatemongers and bigots like yourself disagree.
Mr.B wrote:You still haven't explained how that motto/decal is a dis-service to everyone.
It's now been explained to you several times. You're just too pig-ignorant to understand.
Mr.B wrote:Sorry...you lost.
The Constitution and Bill of Rights lost, that is.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:... It's now been explained to you several times. You're just too pig-ignorant to understand....
Including:
Vrede too wrote:... No biggie for me, contrary to Mr.B's delusions. We all know that this is a rightwing county with lots of folks that want to impose their Christianity on others whatever the cop cars say. I just thought there might be an opportunity to stick it to the folks that blithely corrupt the 1st Amendment's intent. Doesn't change a thing if there isn't.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Some Christians' principles aren't as malleable and defined by the GOP Platform of the moment as Mr.B's:

After Trump, I can't relate to my evangelical faith
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote::lol: "It's like I have a mute, invisible, insecure puppy following me around and piddling on the carpet, poor masochistic (nttawwt) and obsessed thing. Once a pathetic stalker, always a pathetic stalker."
Don't flatter yourself. You and I (right now) are two of the most frequent posters. Now, go from there if you're capable.
"Stalker"...? Pot calls the kettle black.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

By all measures Hillary's life and faith have been more Christian than Trump's. However:

Trump’s Share Of The White Evangelical Vote Was Huge (81 percent)

I guess they put Trump before Jesus.
In Congress, The Fight Against Discrimination Is Now

... One of the first things on the agenda: the must-pass National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). It contains a provision called the Russell Amendment, which would require that all federal agencies allow religiously affiliated contractors and grantees to discriminate in hiring with taxpayer funds

That is why, today, we joined with a dozen national organizations to deliver over 340,000 petition signatures to Congress in opposition to the Russell Amendment.

The petition urges U.S. Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Jack Reed (D-R.I.) and Reps. Mac Thornberry (R-Texas) and Adam Smith (D-Wash.) – the four lawmakers working to hash out a final version of the defense bill – to strip out the language.

The Russell Amendment violates the longstanding principle that the government should not fund discrimination. It would allow taxpayer-funded discrimination towards women, LGBT people, and religious minorities (and even men and the Christian and other majorities) in religiously affiliated organizations including hospitals and universities. But, no one should be disqualified from a taxpayer-funded job because he or she is the “wrong” religion or because he or she does not follow the same religious tenets as the employer.

The provision is also sweeping. It doesn’t just apply to defense programs, but to every federal contract and grant, across all federal agencies. And, it would jeopardize vital, existing workplace nondiscrimination protections, including those that cover 28 million people – a fifth of the country’s workforce.

The Russell Amendment is one of the most significant threats to the LGBT community, women, and religious liberty that we have seen in Congress in years....
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

(moved here from the 'Trump' thread)
rstrong wrote:
rstrong wrote: "YOU are the one who - when the Old Testament disagrees with you - declares the entire book to have nothing to do with Christianity. And then the next day you'll be back to quoting the Old Testament to justify your bigotry. YOU are the one who will quote the ONE (1) anti-homosexuality reference in the New Testament - in Paul's letter to the Corinthians - and then declare the rest of the letter to be nonsense when it orders something you DON'T like."
Twist much, lie much. I said, and you know this, that OT Law differs from Grace;
"Liar. Your posts speak for themselves."

"You quote a biblical rule as sacrosanct. When someone responds by asking if you follow certain OTHER biblical rules - from the Old Testament - you respond with":
"You still hung up on Jewish Law? Don't forget that cotton and polyester thingy..... I thought surely you'd be smart enough to know that Christianity wasn't around back then."
"Not that it ever stopped you from quoting the Old Testament when it suits your needs."
As you well know, some laws were moral laws, some were cultural laws, and some were ceremonial laws.
I think you're smart enough to figure out which applied to what.

(ranting and whining ignored)

"And ignoring the fact that you can find plenty of modern day news articles with Christians advocating Old Testament practices and beliefs.
Including yourself, when it aligns with your bigotry."
So tell me...what exactly is "my bigotry"?

Yes, you can find some Islamists (sp) who advocate violence against other religions. Just like you find the same in Christianity.
Heck, Christian Europe had pogroms AFTER the Holocaust.
I've never denied they didn't. History is full of man's atrocities towards others.

"Your saving grace is that as a liar and hypocrite, you're damned incompetent at it."
That coming from a devout atheist doesn't bother me a bit. You're true to your calling.
rstrong wrote:"Perversion, debauchery, and hatred for God" - your definition of any disagreement with your racism, homophobia, misogyny and hate.
I hate no one, race, gender, or sexual preference.
"You just happen to constantly spew hatred based on all three."
You got examples?
rstrong wrote:"In defence of real Christians, most would disagree with you. Some major denominations support and perform same-sex marriages, and even the Catholic Church performed same-sex unions for a thousand years and has been softening its stance lately. And of course the majority would disagree with your racism."
"Most would disagree" ..... "Some major denominations" .... In defense of "real" Christianity, church leaders who celebrate same-sex relationships and support gender confusion aren't leading the church; they're following the culture.
"That's nonsense in so many ways....."
How so? If they're not following Biblical teachings, they're certainly not grounded in God. I saw on the news yesterday where one of the mega-churches showed the Dallas football game on their big-screens during the church service so their members wouldn't stay home and watch it. That's pitiful. That's following the culture. That's bending to the world.

"The Catholic Church performed same-sex unions for a thousand years, from roughly 500AD to 1500AD. If STOPPING that practice isn't "following the culture" then why would returning to it be?"
I'm not Catholic, I don't believe in their doctrine; besides you're speaking about a church that teaches you can go out and rob and steal on Saturday night and come in and hide behind a curtain and tell a man in a dress that you've sinned and for a small nominal fee, he will "resolve" you of your sins. Not only that, he is the "father", a name that the Bible I believe in tells me that I am to call "no man (on this earth) Father."
You're speaking of a church that demands it's "fathers" to be celibate, which in turn leads them to homosexuality and pedophilia. You're speaking of a church who's supreme leader aligns himself with God Almighty, capable of FORGIVING man of his sins, capable of SAVING man from Hell... etc.
You're speaking of a church that places their "leaders" in positions of higher esteem than it's members. (In my church, the ground is level at the foot of the Cross)There are a few other denominations that support homosexuality and SSM, their church is a blasphemy.

(blah, blah political figure ignored)

"You consider your cherry-picked passage in the New Testament - the ONLY passage against homosexuality - to be sacrosanct."
Oh no...there are more...you know that. YOU'RE "cherry-picking"

"And yet you dismiss the next passage - against women speaking in church - as nonsense."
Nope again. Against women preaching. I don't understand you get your step-ins in a fluff over this; you don't like preachers anyway. Wait, oh yes I do... so you can accuse of misogyny.

"At the very least, You - YOUR twisted interpretation of Christianity - is "following the culture."
At the very most, least, whatever, you're hatred of God and His believers is "the culture" that we are instructed to shun.

"The other branches of Christianity have at most cherry picked differently than you have.
And unlike you, they didn't cherry-pick based on their phobias, hatreds and fears."
Tell me again; what are my phobias, hatreds, and namely, fears. This ought'a be good.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Bottom line rstrong, your ranting, raving and bigoted hate spiel is nothing new to me or any other Christian who's been, or is being,
vilified for taking a stand against immorality; it's as old and moldy just as it was from the giving of The Law.

Vrede is correct..."tick-tock" -- Immoral living and it's increase has been prophesied and man will continue to fall further into depravity.
Fortunately, my days are numbered and I won't have to live in such a totally confused, depraved world.

Nothing you say, accuse me of, curse me, my God, or the Bible over, is going to change my opinion, beliefs, or religious convictions.
You're only blowing smoke out of your you-know-what.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Mr.B wrote:Bottom line rstrong, your ranting, raving and bigoted hate spiel is nothing new to me or any other Christian who's been, or is being,
vilified for taking a stand against immorality; it's as old and moldy just as it was from the giving of The Law.

Vrede is correct..."tick-tock" -- Immoral living and it's increase has been prophesied and man will continue to fall further into depravity.
Fortunately, my days are numbered and I won't have to live in such a totally confused, depraved world.

Nothing you say, accuse me of, curse me, my God, or the Bible over, is going to change my opinion, beliefs, or religious convictions.
Yeah. You're pretty much the fucking idiot we already knew you to be. Like all your ideological brethren.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote: "We can't hate what we know doesn't exist, and it's sinful to falsely exploit God..."
Deny His existence in one breath and acknowledge His existence in the next breath.
Boatrocker wrote:
Mr.B wrote: "Therefore, a church that tags along after current culture is not a follower of Christ."
"Ah, the True Scotsman Fallacy. They never fail to trot that one out- even though they don't know what it is . . . ."
"Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Glasgow Morning Herald and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again". Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing". The next day he sits down to read his Glasgow Morning Herald again; and, this time, finds an article about an Aberdeen man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion, but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says: "No true Scotsman would do such a thing".
There's a bit of difference in your opinion and the meaning behind the phrase.

What's the point in calling an establishment a church, i.e., whose purpose is to teach and preach the Word of God using what is widely accepted as the church's Guidebook; yet accepting or participating in practices that are completely contrary to Christian living?
Boatrocker wrote:
Mr.B wrote:Bottom line rstrong, your ranting, raving and bigoted hate spiel is nothing new to me or any other Christian who's been, or is being,

"Yeah. You're pretty much the f**king idiot we already knew you to be. Like all your ideological brethren."
I expected such an intelligent reply from you; given your limited vocabulary; You never fail to disappoint.

You and Homerfobe most certainly are Siamese twins, with your heads on the opposite ends of that of normal humans. You owned it.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Mr.B wrote:
Vrede too wrote: "We can't hate what we know doesn't exist, and it's sinful to falsely exploit God..."
Deny His existence in one breath and acknowledge His existence in the next breath.
Boatrocker wrote:
Mr.B wrote: "Therefore, a church that tags along after current culture is not a follower of Christ."
"Ah, the True Scotsman Fallacy. They never fail to trot that one out- even though they don't know what it is . . . ."
"Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Glasgow Morning Herald and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again". Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing". The next day he sits down to read his Glasgow Morning Herald again; and, this time, finds an article about an Aberdeen man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion, but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says: "No true Scotsman would do such a thing".
There's a bit of difference in your opinion and the meaning behind the phrase.

What's the point in calling an establishment a church, i.e., whose purpose is to teach and preach the Word of God using what is widely accepted as the church's Guidebook; yet accepting or participating in practices that are completely contrary to Christian living?
Boatrocker wrote:

"Yeah. You're pretty much the f**king idiot we already knew you to be. Like all your ideological brethren."
I expected such an intelligent reply from you; given your limited vocabulary; You never fail to disappoint.

You and Homerfobe most certainly are Siamese twins, with your heads on the opposite ends of that of normal humans. You owned it.

I found Boat's reply spot on.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

billy.pilgrim wrote: "I found Boat's reply spot on."
You would. It matters not.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

One problem with that, by all measures that I'm aware of, it's going the opposite direction as prophesied. I mean I'm not surprised, look at all the other things that have been prophesied and been wrong, or prophesied as if it hadn't happened yet, but already had. Easy to be correct when it already happened.