Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Education thread

Unread post by Boatrocker »

rstrong wrote:Republican State Senator's "business degree" turns out to be from Sizzler Steakhouse

Iowa State Sen. Mark Chelgren wants to limit the number of Democrats the state university may hire.

This drew attention to the Republican's own academic background. Turns out the "business degree" listed in Chelgren's biography on the Iowa State Republicans web site, is from the "Forbco Management school" - actually a Sizzler steak house franchise.
"This was a management course he took when he worked for Sizzler, kind of like Hamburger University at McDonald's,"
[...]
Chelgren told NBC News on Wednesday he was not trying to inflate his education credentials.
"Yeah, but . . . but . . . it's not lying, it's just an alternative fact! That's okay, now!"
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rstrong wrote:... Iowa State Sen. Mark Chelgren wants to limit the number of Democrats the state university may hire. ...
It's a stupid and likely illegal proposal, anyhow. Dems are more likely to choose academia, Repubs are more likely to choose private enterprise. This would be affirmative action for sub-par Repubs.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote::roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rstrong wrote:... Iowa State Sen. Mark Chelgren wants to limit the number of Democrats the state university may hire. ...
It's a stupid and likely illegal proposal, anyhow. Dems are more likely to choose academia, Repubs are more likely to choose private enterprise. This would be affirmative action for sub-par Repubs.

was there anything in the bill to freeze repug business ownership?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Wish I could sign, but they require my phone number.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

My phone number on all petitions where it's required is 5555555555. Same for direct emails to pols. Sen. Burr's folks were sometimes calling back, which is nice in general but I've got a weird work/sleep schedule.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:My phone number on all petitions where it's required is 5555555555. Same for direct emails to pols. Sen. Burr's folks were sometimes calling back, which is nice in general but I've got a weird work/sleep schedule.
Signed

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I always enjoy the Benoit Mindset List that describes how the world of freshmen entering in a given year changes from year to year. Here's the latest...
http://themindsetlist.com/2016/08/minds ... lass-2020/

As to the cartoon, though, it's pretty dated. When was the last time you saw mobiles with antennas or a cassette player in a belt holster?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

61. Whoever they chose in their first time voting, they got Trump. It can only get better.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:
”As to the cartoon, though, it's pretty dated. When was the last time you saw mobiles with antennas or a cassette player in a belt holster?"
I saw that; started not to post the meme. I take it to mean that since the advent of electronics, old school teaching methods will be a thing of the past; the point here being this is where it started.

This reminds me of a humorous post I made some time ago where the executive that was lost in the back country whipped out his Motorola RAZR and triangulated his position, etc. You pointed out the absurdity of that joke too because a RAZR was a relic ... :lol:
Good job!

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote: I take it to mean that since the advent of electronics, old school teaching methods will be a thing of the past; the point here being this is where it started.
"Old school teaching methods" have been changing and replacing each other for much longer than electronics have been around. I can imagine the uproar when the abacus was taken out of service. Learning doesn't get any less whether you read from a paper book or a screen. What bothers me, though, is the tendency in so many place to replace text content with video. There's a difference in replacing text content and enhancing content, but I get really tired of clicking on an "article" only to find some click-through slides or video that tells me in 3 minutes what I could have read in 30 seconds. That's not necessarily totally true in schools and real educational materials, but "education" is a whole-life experience, not just what you learn in the classroom.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:"Old school teaching methods" have been changing and replacing each other for much longer than electronics have been around.
I can imagine the uproar when the abacus was taken out of service. Learning doesn't get any less whether you read from a paper book or a screen.
What bothers me, though, is the tendency in so many place to replace text content with video."
:lol: Agreed. Nowadays it's all computers (mostly) in classrooms. Even computers don't come with instruction manuals anymore. My smart TV has the manual built into it's menu. That's why I said the items you pointed out were the forerunner of today's electronics.

"There's a difference in replacing text content and enhancing content, but I get really tired of clicking on an "article" only to find some click-through slides or video that tells me in 3 minutes what I could have read in 30 seconds."
Same here. When I'm surfing the news page of Yahoo, msn, or whoever, I may see what might be an interesting article to read.
I look at the posting source; if it says "Sponsored", I don't bother to click on it because I know it's nothing more than click-bait, with page after page of one to two-line info and the rest is %$#@!& ads. Using an ad-blocker only slows down the loading,

"That's not necessarily totally true in schools and real educational materials, but "education" is a whole-life experience, not just what you learn in the classroom."
Unfortunately, much of "whole-life experience" cannot be gleaned from a computer; such as everyday interaction with others, such as common manners and respect. Example ...

I was in Ingle's earlier this week; three different employees almost bumped into me in different areas of the store. Not one spoke a word such as "excuse me" or anything; just walked or squeezed on by. In a fast food restaurant, I went to the counter for a pack of mayo. Young man at the counter says "what you need?". I replied "Sir, the proper question would be 'May I help you?' "

Yep, you're right, "whole-life experiences" can't be learned on a computer; apparently not at home or the job either.
(BTW ... did you get Vrede's permission to use a hyphen?)

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:. I replied "Sir, the proper question would be 'May I help you?' "
Actually the proper question would be "Prithee kind Sire, what beist thine pleasure?" :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Borrowed from The Big Bang Theory, probably was also true in the Middle Ages: Don't piss off the people that handle your food.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
To: UNC Board of Governors
public@bog.northcarolina.edu

Re:
Barring UNC centers from taking legal actions is an effort to muzzle liberals

In North Carolina, the conservative war on academia merges with its war on the poor and vulnerable

Silencing Advocacy That Irritates State Leaders
UNC board members want law school’s civil rights center to be barred from lawsuits and suing the state -- which the center has done with success in the past.

I agree with the News and Observer, NC Policy Watch and Inside Higher Ed Op-Eds.

The motion is coming on the heels of successful ventures by the Center for Civil Rights to defend community members in eastern North Carolina from toxic hog waste and to protect housing rights, clean air, and water.

Although not specifically named in the policy, this is aimed directly at the Center, and is a betrayal of the mission of the law school and the university, and the legacy of Julius Chambers, the center's founder.

This is an attempt to limit activism on the part of faculty, staff, and students and needs to be stopped.

Please OPPOSE this UNC Board of Governors member Joe Knott proposal.

I await your reply.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
Vrede too wrote:
Mr.B wrote:"I await your reply."

Don't hold your breath ...
I won't. Many officials do reply, as I occasionally share here. No biggie if they don't. Requesting a response is just a good idea on all such notes if one wants even the possibility.
1 week later:
Thank you for sharing your concerns about the future of the Center for Civil Rights
at the UNC-Chapel Hill School of Law. Pursuant to the discussions that occurred at
last week’s meeting of the UNC Board of Governors, Committee on Educational
Planning, Policies and Programs, we write to provide details from that meeting and
next steps.

The committee discussed a policy change recommended by a member of the board that,
if adopted, would prohibit UNC centers and institutes from participating or
representing parties in litigation. The committee discussed, but did not act on, the
draft policy.

During the committee’s discussion, committee members raised questions about how the
policy might affect the Center for Civil Rights and other centers and institutes.
Members noted the importance of the center’s work. They asked for more information
about the center’s activities and unique characteristics, the clients represented by
the center, how the needs of clients would be met if the center no longer engaged in
litigation, and whether and how other universities engage in similar activities.

With these considerations in mind, the committee asked Chancellor Folt and her staff
to prepare a report to address the committee’s questions and offer options for
organizational changes and alternatives for the Center for Civil Rights to perform
its work. The committee also asked for a report on the possible impact of the policy
on the law schools at UNC-Chapel Hill and North Carolina Central University,
including law school clinics. We expect that the reports requested by the committee
will be completed prior to the board’s July meeting.

Finally, the committee chair designated two committee members—Joe Knott and Pearl
Burris-Floyd—to work with General Administration staff to receive community input
and comment on the draft policy and its potential impact on centers and institutes.
We will provide ways for the public to provide feedback, both in person and online.
Once determined, details will be available on our website: http://www.northcarolina.edu.

Thank you again for writing. We appreciate your perspective on this important issue
for our University.

Lou Bissette
Chair of the Board of Governors

Anna Nelson
Chair of the Committee on Educational Planning, Policies, and Programs
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:
Mr.B wrote:. I replied "Sir, the proper question would be 'May I help you?' "
"Actually the proper question would be "Prithee kind Sire, what beist thine pleasure?" :roll:
:lol: In as much as he didn't know 50¢ words, it's doubtful he knew any $2 words ...
Vrede too wrote:"Borrowed from The Big Bang Theory, probably was also true in the Middle Ages: Don't piss off the people that handle your food."
True today as well. Fortunately I only wanted a pack of mayo;
I NEVER send anything back to the kitchen because of my dissatisfaction ...

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote: "I get really tired of clicking on an "article" only to find some click-through slides or video that tells me in 3 minutes what I could have read in 30 seconds."
Mr.B wrote:Same here. When I'm surfing the news page of Yahoo, msn, or whoever, I may see what might be an interesting article to read.
I look at the posting source; if it says "Sponsored", I don't bother to click on it because I know it's nothing more than click-bait, with page after page of one to two-line info and the rest is %$#@!& ads. Using an ad-blocker only slows down the loading,
I saw an article this morning I wanted to check out about the disappearance of Natalee Holloway in Aruba. The article was headlined "The Disappearance of Natalee Holloway solved!" I noted it was "Sponsored", but out of curiosity, I clicked on it. Wrong move. It wasn't a video or story, it was a "slide show" stuffed with ads that teased you to click on each page of single photos starting with her early life, etc. I stopped on the 3rd. photo and Googled her name and found there is/was no real news story involving the solving of Miss Holloway's disappearance.

I've ordered a Webpage Separator from Amazon.com .... :yawn:

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Boatrocker wrote:
"Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves. Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child."
ROBERT A. HEINLEIN, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long
My man, Lazarus!
Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

k9nanny wrote: "Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help."
Well put, but anybody can have a religion; it comes in all forms.

God is my crutch; I am weak, but He is strong; He helps me to stand.