Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Education thread

Unread post by O Really »

Almost makes me wish I had a kid graduating. I'd get together a bunch of other parents and see if we could start a wave in the stadium or if not at least make sure every kid gets a big ovation.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 11:29 am
To: jwarren@greenville.k12.sc.us
Subject: Civics

Dear Principal Jason Warren,

Re:
Greenville News: Could cheering at your kid's high school graduation cost you $1,030? Depends whom you ask
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/ ... 587661002/

NyDailyNews: High school warns parents against cheering at graduation or pay $1G fine
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3979991

You have just told the community, nation and world that you and your Greenville (SC) High School staff are so Civics-ignorant that you're clueless about the 1st Amendment. It's a hoot that even the school district and the cops are throwing you under the bus on this one.

Good job.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
Aside: During Xmas break Principal Warren has been spotted on a Florida beach with his shorts up under his arm pits, wearing black socks and sandals, sitting around bitching about everything.
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... start=1820
O Really wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:46 pm
Almost makes me wish I had a kid graduating. I'd get together a bunch of other parents and see if we could start a wave in the stadium or if not at least make sure every kid gets a big ovation.
:thumbup:

JTA, keep your phone turned on June 4 in case the O Reallys and I need you to come bail us out.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:16 pm
JTA, keep your phone turned on June 4 in case the O Reallys and I need you to come bail us out.
Is this your way of claiming refugee status in Canada?

(You we put with the furries.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 3:35 pm
Is this your way of claiming refugee status in Canada?

If need be, but most states including NC will accept a refugee from SC claim.

(You we put with the furries.)

:thumbsup: You tease, you.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

To: studentaffairs@duke.edu
Subject: Brown and Simmons

Dear VP Larry Moneta,

Re: Snowflake Duke University VP has students fired because he didn't like the song they played...
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/5 ... hey-played

Duke University baristas fired after VP hears 'offensive' Young Dolph song playing in coffee shop
http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2018/ ... -shop.html

You must be so proud of your success in bullying low wage workers. Now you can get back to defending slaver/traitor participation trophies.

(Vrede too)
Subject: Re: Brown and Simmons
From: "Duke University Student Affairs" <studentaffairs@duke.edu>
Date: Wed, May 9, 2018 4:42 pm

Statement from Duke University

Last week, a Duke official raised concerns about the fact that a song with lyrics containing offensive and explicit language was being played in the Joe Van Gogh coffee shop on campus. Those concerns were brought to the attention of Joe Van Gogh’s management, which took actions with regard to the employees for which Robbie Roberts, the owner, has now apologized in the following statement:
Joe Van Gogh apologizes to our employees, customers and community for how we handled a situation involving our Duke University store. As you have read, it is true that Joe Van Gogh is a contractor to Duke. We attempted to understand Duke’s position in this case, but we should have taken a different approach in making personnel decisions. As the owner of the business, I take full responsibility for Joe Van Gogh’s actions. I apologize to all of the people directly involved and those who have been touched or offended, of which there are many. We are taking steps to remedy this matter, but all company personnel issues are private and will remain private. Again, my truly sincere apologies.

Robbie Roberts
Joe Van Gogh
We appreciate Mr. Roberts’ statement and his commitment to remedy the matter with the individuals involved, and regret the pain this incident caused to those who look to Duke to uphold the highest values of fairness and equity to all members of our community.

------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Schoenfeld
Vice President for Public Affairs and Government Relations
Duke University
Thanks for that, but there's a glaring omission in that Duke has not apparently not asked that the workers be rehired. Absent that, it feels like a Pontius Pilate dance.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo Lyons wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:53 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 2:00 pm
. . . as republicans claim victory in their war on education and against words having actual meanings.
And the Democrats want to abolish cursive writing and analog clocks in schools....
Never mind the serious funding needs for classrooms, the concerning lack of school nurses and mental health professionals, school safety and inadequate teacher pay, the NC GOP joins Leo Lyons in fighting against those awful Dems to defend cursive writing.

GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA
SENATE BILL 732

AN ACT TO CLARIFY AND MAKE PERMANENT THE REPORTING REQUIREMENT ON CURSIVE WRITING AND MULTIPLICATION TABLES.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It would be interesting to show the decrease in teacher union membership over that period of time, possibly with a footnote showing how many states have weakened teacher union rights.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:32 pm
It would be interesting to show the decrease in teacher union membership over that period of time, possibly with a footnote showing how many states have weakened teacher union rights.
It's the confluence between GOP anti-union and anti-public education efforts. It's not true for all states, but the Figure C graph from the article shows that on average the teacher pay penalty is greater in red states. NC is 2nd worst only to AZ. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

I've yet to read in this petition how "resources" are going to protect students from a nutjob with a gun.

"Using federal funds intended for academic and enrichment opportunities to pay for arming teachers only helps gun manufacturers, not the people you were appointed to protect as education secretary. Arming teachers is not a solution to school shootings. Educators want to teach, not be armed at school. Students and parents want schools to be safe and welcoming places. "

The article doesn't seem to offer a differing solution as to how the education secretary is going to protect "the people you were appointed to protect ", nor how not arming teachers is going to make schools safer. How is a school going to be "a safe and welcoming place" if it's left wide open to any idiot with a gun and a huge chip on his/her shoulder? I'm certain that educators would love to teach and not be afraid of the possibility of not seeing tomorrow, but we live in a different world than the Shangri-La that MoveOn seems to think we live in, and somebody's going to have to boldly step forward and fight fire with fire.

The petition reads: "I demand that you immediately halt these plans and use the Title IV funds for what they were intended: providing a well-rounded education, improving school conditions for learning, and improving the use of technology for digital literacy."
"I demand..." :lol: :lol: Or what? And what is MoveOn's plan for "improving school conditions?"

The petition stresses "resources and protection" in lieu of real-life means of actually protecting students ---translation? It's a piece of crap designed to get your name and your agreeing to receive their emails and their knee-jerk, paranoia-induced notifications.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Back-To-School Season Marred By Chronic Underfunding, Endless Charter School Scandals

:(
We can draw school zones to make classrooms less segregated. This is how well your district does.
Is your district drawing borders to reduce or perpetuate racial segregation?

Think about your elementary school.

If you attended an American public school, chances are you went to that school because your family lived in that school’s attendance zone. You probably didn’t think twice about it.

We tend to assume these are neutrally drawn, immutable borders. But if you take a step back and look at the demographics of who lives in each attendance zone, you’re faced with maps like this:

Once you look at the school attendance zones this way, it becomes clearer why these lines are drawn the way they are. Groups with political clout — mainly wealthier, whiter communities — have pushed policies that help white families live in heavily white areas and attend heavily white schools.

We see this in city after city, state after state.

And often the attendance zones are gerrymandered to put white students in classrooms that are even whiter than the communities they live in.

The result is that schools today are re-segregating. In fact, schools in the South are as segregated now as they were about 50 years ago, not long after the landmark Brown v. Board of Education Supreme Court decision.

But this exact strategy — gerrymandering school districts to include certain kinds of students and exclude others — can also be used to integrate a school, rather than segregate them....
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't have a meme image for it, but I ran across something that made me think of Leo's approach to school dress :lol: rules:
"There is no 'I' in 'Sheep'" :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:16 am
I don't have a meme image for it, but I ran across something that made me think of Leo's approach to school dress :lol: rules:
"There is no 'I' in 'Sheep'" :lol:
I found this:

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Cute shirt, but of course a sheep dog is pretty much the opposite of a sheep. He is not particularly docile, willing to follow the flock without much thought except "where's the food." The sheep dog pushes, nags, nips, and shoves the sheep along to where he wants them to go.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:59 am
Cute shirt, but of course a sheep dog is pretty much the opposite of a sheep. He is not particularly docile, willing to follow the flock without much thought except "where's the food." The sheep dog pushes, nags, nips, and shoves the sheep along to where he wants them to go.
I just think it's funny that it validates your "There is no 'I' in 'Sheep'" being a thing even though it's tough to find an image for it.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

".... willing to follow the flock without much thought except "where's the (fill in the blank)."

Sounds like a Liberal to me. That leaves me out.

O Really
Admiral

I like this one...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:31 pm
I like this one...
We kneel on Sunday morning, it's respectful to god.
We kneel on Sunday afternoon, it's disrespectful to America.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:31 pm
I like this one...
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:34 pm
We kneel on Sunday morning, it's respectful to god.
We kneel on Sunday afternoon, it's disrespectful to America.

Since this is the Education Thread, I wasn't sure it was prudent to mix religion and education, but, here goes!!