Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Education thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

bannination wrote:You just reminded me of the moment in "Life of Brian" where the stars lead them to the wrong house of the messiah... (Brian's house)

Good times

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life - Monty Python's Life of Brian
Probably scandalous to some, but not that outrageous given that Christianity's single most inspiring, redemptive and uplifting event is torture, mutilation and death.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

rstrong wrote:
Mr.B wrote:
k9nanny wrote: "Religion is a crutch for people not strong enough to stand up to the unknown without help."
Well put, but anybody can have a religion; it comes in all forms.
True, that. Horoscopes for example. When you don’t want to blame yourself for your failures, try the solar system. The belief may not involve a deity, but there's little difference from deity-based mythology.
True. Replace "religion " with "belief system".
Too many people enjoy the comfort of not having to think for themselves. My Evil Sister is a good example. For many years, she didn't breathe without checking first with First Baptist Church. When she got herself free from them, it was a gaggle of shrinks. With the church, we (her family) were all going to hell. The shrinks were even worse, telling her she couldn't solve her problems until we solved our problems, defined by the shrinks, based on her reports.

That's the problem with doctrines of men. They mostly don't encourage us to think for ourselves. "I can't accept homosexuality, because my religion tells me so."

I've always wondered about astrology beyond horoscopes. If the moon affects the tides, might the positions of stars and planets have some kind of effect on us? But that would be science, not superstition.

I'm still wanting and waiting to hear the Music of the Spheres.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

k9nanny wrote: I've always wondered about astrology beyond horoscopes. If the moon affects the tides, might the positions of stars and planets have some kind of effect on us? But that would be science, not superstition.
Yeah, that's the theory - and there is a lot past horoscopes. Most real astrologers look at the daily horoscopes pretty much like like a pro golfer looks at putting into a cup in your living room. Personally, I find there's way too much conjecture, unproven theory and wives' tales (no offense - they could be husbands' tales) to give much weight in running my life, but I certainly don't reject it all out of hand.

Like biorhythm. I don't really rely on that, either, but as a matter of interest I have a biorhythm calculator app. I never look at it at the start of a day, so as not to risk being influenced, but sometimes at the end of a day when it seems I was low-energy, I look. Remarkable how often that look shows a low red (physical energy) line.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

k9nanny wrote:I've always wondered about astrology beyond horoscopes. If the moon affects the tides, might the positions of stars and planets have some kind of effect on us?
The problem there is that the pull of another planet's gravity is so insignificant compared to the gravity of smaller but much closer objects. If the pull of Jupiter on the day of your birth affects your future, the where the nurse was standing will have a far greater effect. The moon's gravity is overwhelmed by whether or not the house next door has a basement, and Venus's gravity is insignificant compared to where you placed your couch. Mercury's gravity is insignificant compared to whether you vacuumed your couch lately.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

k9nanny wrote: "Too many people enjoy the comfort of not having to think for themselves. My Evil Sister is a good example. For many years, she didn't breathe without checking first with First Baptist Church. When she got herself free from them, it was a gaggle of shrinks. With the church, we (her family) were all going to hell. The shrinks were even worse, telling her she couldn't solve her problems until we solved our problems, defined by the shrinks, based on her reports."
Fanatics are in all walks of life. One only has to read the bulk of comments made in this forum! 8-)

Seriously, and not being snide, but people with weaker minds can easily be manipulated or duped. (I know what's coming next)
I have a sister who is entangled with the JW's, and my wife has a first cousin who has practically alienated herself from the rest of her family because they cannot be a part of any conversation without their respective beliefs surfacing and ruining the conversation.

"That's the problem with doctrines of men. They mostly don't encourage us to think for ourselves. "I can't accept homosexuality, because my religion tells me so."
I did not embrace Christianity until well into my married life, although I wasn't totally ignorant of Biblical teachings. I knew nothing of the Bible's condemnation of homosexuals; the Ten Commandments, John 3:16, and Psalms 100 were the pinnacle of my knowledge.

It was in grade school that I first heard of what a homosexual was, and it was a subject to be reviled and hush-hushed. 'Sissies' and tom-boys were shunned. Even in my young mind, I couldn't fathom the thought of holding another boy's penis in my hand, let alone what all else is involved. Therefore, my opinion is, because I was (and still am) capable of thinking on my own without coercion from any outside influence, religion does not always play the role in the rejection of homosexuality. The Bible has taught me though, that salvation is of one's own choosing; we are not to hate those who choose to be different, only the sin of their difference.

"I've always wondered about astrology beyond horoscopes. If the moon affects the tides, might the positions of stars and planets have some kind of effect on us? But that would be science, not superstition."
The Farmer's Almanac has always intrigued me, because it is a bit of science and foretelling; but the horoscope (horror-scope) that foretells fame, fortune, and one's love life is viewed as a bunch of bull for people who had nothing to do but worry what tomorrow will bring.

"I'm still wanting and waiting to hear the Music of the Spheres."
They make a pretty sound until you group a bunch of 'em together that make different sounds ... then you've got The Music of A Gom ... kinda like sorting through this forum, ain't it? :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Horoscopes like, "Today there's a nurse on the unvacuumed couch in your neighbor's basement. Staying true to yourself inspires others to do the same," is why rstrong never succeeded as an astrologer.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Statistics About Nonpublic Education in the United States

Private Schools
4,576,410 students
68.6% religious

Homeschooling
In 2012, there were an estimated 1.8 million homeschooled students in the United States, which is an increase from 850,000 in 1999, when estimates were first reported. In addition, the estimated percentage of the school-age population that was homeschooled increased from 1.7 percent in 1999 to 3.4 percent in 2012.

My Kids Don't "Do" School and I'm Okay With It
Unschooling is an extreme form of homeschooling you never heard about. And yes, it's totally legal.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:Horoscopes like, "Today there's a nurse on the unvacuumed couch in your neighbor's basement. Staying true to yourself inspires others to do the same," is why rstrong never succeeded as an astrologer.
True, that.

Cancer (June 22 - July 22)
The position of the stars, phase of the moon, and orbital paths of the planets will have absolutely no bearing on your life this week. Enjoy the freedom of being in complete control of your actions while it lasts.

Aries (March 21 - April 19)
The stars do not usually warn mortals of specific outcomes or specific futures, but if you throw away a pair of face cards to try and fill a straight one more time, they're going to come down there and kill you.

Pisces (Feb 19 - Mar 20)
The Earth rising in your sign this week means romance, travel and that you're somehow standing on the surface of another planet.

After days of grave and anxious discussion, the stars have decided that it's better you don't know.

Scorpio: (Oct. 24 - Nov. 21)
Though you may never actually find your soulmate in this lifetime, any decent supermarket will provide you with a lifetime supply of Coffee-Mate.

Sagittarius: (Nov. 22-Dec. 21)
Artistic ventures highlighted. Rob a museum.

Cancer (Jun 22 - Jul 22)
We're sorry. Last week's prediction of "a night journey over water" should indeed have read "waterfall." Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

The winds of change will blow through town this week, leaving you a hatless victim of the increasingly turbulent times.

Cancer: (June 22 - July 22)
Maybe in your next life, you'll believe the Zodiac when it tells you to cut the red wire.

Lady Luck will be on your side this week. Unfortunately for you, Lady Skill, Lady Experience, and Lady Applied Probability Theory won't.

Scorpio: (Oct. 24 - Nov. 21)
As a poet once said, "All who ever lived have died/But not one died of love, nay, nor of a broken heart." Consequently, you're going to need a gun.

Sagittarius (Nov 22 - Dec 21)
Venus in your sign means you're traveling through some rough romantic waters. Bullet holes in the road signs, however, mean you're traveling through Alberta.

Pisces: (Feb. 19 - March 20)
You'll be granted a momentary glimpse through the omniscient eye of the Creator, causing you to remark that now you've seen everything.

Capricorn (December 22 - January 19)
You may not be a wealthy man, or a rich man, or even a prosperous man, but then, you do have a mastery of English-language synonyms.

Aries: (March 21 - April 19)
You will score a major victory at work when you're able to produce documentation proving that the appropriate person has died and made you God.

Sagittarius: (Nov. 22 - Dec. 21)
You'll learn an important lesson about violence this week - specifically, what can happen when you're not very good at it.

This week, envy rears its ugly head, realizes there's nothing enviable about you, blinks a couple times, and goes back to sleep.

Thursday will usher in a new era of love and prosperity for Aries, which is only fair considering what happens Friday.

Capricorn (December 22 - January 19)
Avoid making any important decisions this week. And, come to think of it, next week as well. In fact, assume this to always be the case unless the stars tell you otherwise

Sagittarius: (Nov. 22 - Dec. 21)
You will be faced with the unenviable task of telling somebody that they have lost that loving feeling without breaking into song.

Taurus (Apr 20 - May 20)
The presence of Mercury in your sign indicates that this will be a good week for you, but the presence of mercury in your tap water says otherwise.

Taurus (Apr 20 - May 20)
You finally think of that perfect comeback several days too late, but it wouldn't have affected the judge's decision in the least.

Virgo (Aug 23 - Sep 22)
Both the moon and Jupiter are high in Virgo this week, which means they'll giggle a lot and eat a lot of junk food.

Taurus: (April. 20 - May 20)
Your eyes will soon meet the tender gaze of a handsome stranger, thanks to your decision to check the "organ donor" box on your driver's license.

Sagittarius (November 22 - December 21)
Don't let other people influence your future. That's what a vague and arbitrary set of cosmic indicators is for.

Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
The stars warn of physical danger for Taurus in the coming days, which considering the shape you’re in, probably means bending over to pick up a sock.

Taurus (April 20 - May 20)
The stars foresee a time of great vagueness and something or other in your future. Also, there will be a chair.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

"What's two plus two? I mean really, c'mon!"
They'll fit right into society; I mean hey ... the average high-school graduate can't count back change from a cash transaction. If the jewelry trinkets market bottoms out at the flea market, maybe, just maybe, because they're home unschooled graduates, that means they'll get paid a dollar more an hour flippin' burgers at McDonald's. Maybe, one day, one of 'em will run for public office; say senator, congresswoman, or even POTUS !!!

Smart move, Mom and Dad.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Leo (July 22 - August 23)
You're dead to me, get out of my reading room.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:Leo (July 22 - August 23)
"You're dead to me, get out of my reading room."
No wonder you and I clash ...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whoosh. It's one of the signs missing from rstrong's horoscopes.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:"Whoosh. It's one of the signs missing from rstrong's horoscopes."
Image whew !

That's OK, we still clash!

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:Whoosh. It's one of the signs missing from rstrong's horoscopes.
LEO has its own thread.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D

Gemini?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

LIbra?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Apparently, even Canadian astrologers can be bigots. ;)
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Dedicated to my long-time pals Vrede & rstrong; we been buds a long time...!

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

rstrong wrote:
k9nanny wrote:I've always wondered about astrology beyond horoscopes. If the moon affects the tides, might the positions of stars and planets have some kind of effect on us?
The problem there is that the pull of another planet's gravity is so insignificant compared to the gravity of smaller but much closer objects. If the pull of Jupiter on the day of your birth affects your future, the where the nurse was standing will have a far greater effect. The moon's gravity is overwhelmed by whether or not the house next door has a basement, and Venus's gravity is insignificant compared to where you placed your couch. Mercury's gravity is insignificant compared to whether you vacuumed your couch lately.
my couch doesn't have a big ball of hot iron at its core.
Think beyond gravity- energy, vibration, some kind of cosmic ripple effect.

As our ancestors tried to explain natural disasters as acts of angry deities, we (some of us) still cling to supernatural explanations for stuff we don't understand. In other words, we haven't yet discovered/identified a whole lot of science.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

k9nanny wrote:my couch doesn't have a big ball of hot iron at its core.
Think beyond gravity- energy, vibration, some kind of cosmic ripple effect.
Even still. You're near a big chunk of hot iron, an engine, every time a car drives past. It may be smaller, but it's a whole lot closer and vibrating too. It'll have more effect on whether "It's a good day to make decisions about romance" for one arbitrary group of people while making it "A good day for travel" for others.
k9nanny wrote:As our ancestors tried to explain natural disasters as acts of angry deities, we (some of us) still cling to supernatural explanations for stuff we don't understand. In other words, we haven't yet discovered/identified a whole lot of science.
We didn't understand volcanoes and earthquakes and tides, but we had ample evidence of their existence.

Today simply don't know what dark matter is, but we have ample evidence of its existence. We've learned some of its properties. We're able to rule out several things (ordinary gas, dust, etc.) that it is not.

Because even without knowing what dark matter is, we can see it's effects. Those effects are evidence for its existence, and the more we learn about the nature of the effects - how it interacts with ordinary visible matter, with light, etc. - the more it tells us about dark matter.

Even without understanding, we don't need supernatural explanations for the effects.

With horoscopes we don't even see effects.

If someone could show that the location of Mars at the time of someone's birth had any effect whatsoever on their personality - even statistically on a million people born in the same sign - that would mean something. Even with no understanding whatsoever of the effect and how it works. We could at least start taking measurements and collecting details and using them to test theories.

But one could just as easily make a claim that personality is pre-determined by the number of dandelions within a 7.22 mile radius of one's birth. Or the amount of copper in the soil. Or the cloud patterns overhead at the time. Anything you want to invent. And the evidence would be the same as for horoscopes; none, not even evidence not understood. THAT separates it from "stuff we don't understand."