Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Education thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Father 'found 13-year-old son and 44-year-old teacher having sex in car'

Comment:
Cherry Elementary School, you just can't make this stuff up.

O Really wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:42 am
Another teacher who wasn't around when I was 13 :cry:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... in-prison/

Yes, I know the arguments about "child abuse" and I guess it's not easy to look at each one as an individual case, but I do remember being 13-14 or so and I'm really sure I wouldn't have been ruined if my teacher had responded to my "advances." (Not that I made any IRL, but still...)

Hell, probably couldn't even be a "Hot for Teacher" anymore... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Hey, the kid's 13 and getting laid. He probably didn't even see her face.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:56 am
Hey, the kid's 13 and getting laid. He probably didn't even see her face.
Maybe if your standards weren't so high from listening to the 1950s version of Van Halen you could have had your own Rachel Gonzales. ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

We don't really know who "Diana" was, do we? Maybe a teacher?
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/paulanka/diana.html

O Really
Admiral

And then there's ...

Don't Stand So Close to Me
The Police

Young teacher, the subject
Of schoolgirl fantasy
She wants him so badly
Knows what she wants to be
Inside her there's longing
This girl's an open page
Book marking, she's so close now
This girl is half his age
Don't stand, don't stand so
Don't stand so close to me
Her friends are so jealous
You know how bad girls get
Sometimes it's not so easy
To be the teacher's pet
Temptation, frustration
So bad it makes him cry
Wet bus stop, she's waiting
His car is warm and dry
Loose talk in the classroom
To hurt they try and try
Strong words in the staffroom
The accusations fly
It's no use, he sees her
He starts…

O Really
Admiral

Not to mention lovely Agnetha's fantasy ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXpzPWwEFOI

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Pretty interesting, you can look up any school district and see how segregated your neighborhoods and schools are.

We can draw school zones to make classrooms less segregated. This is how well your district does.
Is your district drawing borders to reduce or perpetuate racial segregation?

As is the case in most districts, Henderson County schools are slightly less segregated than our neighborhoods. We could do much better.

Charter schools are taking money away from NC school districts, study says
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:16 pm
Not to mention lovely Agnetha's fantasy ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXpzPWwEFOI
:lol: Like the song or not, that is an awful video.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, yeah, At least after you get past the part where Frida bounces down the stairs.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Here's an educational vid to make up for it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZGjA_wDhmE

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 pm
Here's an educational vid to make up for it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZGjA_wDhmE
The volume isn't very good for me. Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR5ApYxkU-U
Another Brick in the Wall

... While the song is not the first example of the antieducation theme in popular music, it comes at a time when increasing numbers of students are questioning the value of their education. Thus, young people are responding to the song with uncommon — and unsettling — enthusiasm.

In May [1980], the South African government banned the song — and the album — "because "Another Brick" had become the anthem of a national strike of more than 10,000 "coloured" (mixed) students and their white supporters. The students had been protesting the inequality of spending on education for the various races, as well as "intimidation" by teachers, whose authority the Pink Floyd song challenges. The government ban forbids radio stations to play the record, stores to sell it, and individuals to own it.

In the United States, educators in several states have tried — with some success — to have the song removed from the play lists of radio stations. Says Hope Antman of Columbia Records in New York,

The radio resistance has been surprisingly strong. Stations started getting angry calls and letters from teachers and principals and school boards claiming that "Another Brick in the Wall" was creating a crisis in their classrooms.

... "We Don't Need No Education" graffiti has appeared on tunnel walls in the Sunset District of San Francisco, and its refrain has echoed through the lunch hours at private, Jesuit-run schools in the city.

Elsewhere, at least a dozen rock stations in major cities either stopped playing the record or refused to add it to their play lists. The resistance was even stronger in smaller towns, Antman says. One teacher in Chicago went so far as to cut his own record as a rebuttal to Pink Floyd, changing the lyrics to "We all need an education."

The rebuttal was an instant flop, while Pink Floyd's attack on schools has dominated the sales charts for months....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oo8QzDHimQ
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Can you imagine somebody releasing a song in 2018 with the line "school's been blown to pieces..."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:44 pm
Can you imagine somebody releasing a song in 2018 with the line "school's been blown to pieces..."
Only during a homeskooling bill hearing in a GOP Leg. :D
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

No school is cool with the nascar crowd. There is a commercial with Danica where she claims dropping out of school helped her find herself and become a success.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:15 am
No school is cool with the nascar crowd. There is a commercial with Danica where she claims dropping out of school helped her find herself and become a success.
I can't find the commercial, but I did find this:
Danica Patrick Explains Why She 'Loved' Dropping Out Of High School

... "Society values the diploma, the degree, all that stuff, so I was like, 'OK, I'm going to have to make this racing thing really work now.' It was kind of one those dig deep, you’ve go to make it work.

"I don't condone dropping out of school. I don't condone that because for the most part, most people don't know what they want to do it. For the most part, when you go to college, you still don't know what you want to do. That's why people go for general degrees and that's fine, you just don't know yet. Everyone has a different path, everybody will figure it out, eventually if you dig deep within yourself. You can't just be on autopilot in life and expect it to just happen for you." ...
She dropped out to learn and race in England, got her GED and did attend several driving schools.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danica_Patrick#Early_life

I'm okay with dropouts that are already excelling at something and know that it's what they want to pursue. Very few kids are that 'driven' ( :D ).
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't have a problem with people saying school didn't meet their own needs and dropping out was helpful. That would include, for example, Bill Gates and Michael Dell, among many other entrepreneurs, artists, etc. My problem is with people saying "schools are failing..." "our kids aren't being educated..." "going to school is a waste of time..." yada.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

They Were Trained for This Moment
How the student activists of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High demonstrate the power of a comprehensive education.

The Teacher Who Taught His Students to Challenge the NRA on the Day They Lost 17 of Their Own

... On the day of the shooting, Foster taught the AP Gov students about special interest groups, like the NAACP, American Medical Association, and the National Rifle Association. His lesson plan that day included a discussion about the Columbine and Sandy Hook school shootings, with emphasis on how every politician comes out afterward a tragedy to say the right thing about changing gun regulation. The students learned how the NRA goes to work as soon news reporters and the public move on to the next story.

“That’s not the NRA’s fault, that’s our fault,” Foster says. “We lose attention and that’s why interest groups run the country. If it’s not the NRA then it’s another group.”

Foster teaches AP Government all day: It’s the only subject he teaches. He had taught this particular special interest lesson four times by the time the gunman started shooting.

The following day the students were scheduled to have a test on the special interest chapter. The exam was supposed to include a free response question asking students what techniques the NRA used to be successful. The students were supposed to discuss how the NRA used mass mobilization, campaign contributions, and litigation to push their agenda forward.

“I love [teaching government] because it’s alive, stuff is happening,” Foster says.

Emma González had already taken Foster’s lesson by the time the shooting happened. So did fellow student David Hogg, who has made multiple appearance on cable news networks, inspiring crisis actor conspiracies on YouTube in the days after the shooting....
Btw,
Marjory Stoneman Douglas

Marjory Stoneman Douglas (April 7, 1890 – May 14, 1998) was an American journalist, author, women's suffrage advocate, and conservationist known for her staunch defense of the Everglades against efforts to drain it and reclaim land for development. Moving to Miami as a young woman to work for The Miami Herald, she became a freelance writer, producing over a hundred short stories that were published in popular magazines. Her most influential work was the book The Everglades: River of Grass (1947), which redefined the popular conception of the Everglades as a treasured river instead of a worthless swamp. Its impact has been compared to that of Rachel Carson's influential book Silent Spring (1962). Her books, stories, and journalism career brought her influence in Miami, enabling her to advance her causes.

As a young woman, Douglas was outspoken and politically conscious of the women's suffrage and civil rights movements. She was called upon to take a central role in the protection of the Everglades when she was 79 years old. For the remaining 29 years of her life she was "a relentless reporter and fearless crusader" for the natural preservation and restoration of South Florida. Her tireless efforts earned her several variations of the nickname "Grande Dame of the Everglades" as well as the hostility of agricultural and business interests looking to benefit from land development in Florida. She received numerous awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and was inducted into several halls of fame.

Douglas lived to 108, working until nearly the end of her life for Everglades restoration. Upon her death, an obituary in The Independent in London stated, "In the history of the American environmental movement, there have been few more remarkable figures than Marjory Stoneman Douglas."
1312. ETTD.