Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Education thread

Unread post by O Really »

I'm guessing they know that. In fact, I'm pretty sure they did it intentionally. I doubt they care what a highly popular and effective Democratic Governor thinks. I doubt they care what at least 6 million of their 9 million residents think.

O Really
Admiral

I didn't say I wouldn't sign it. But my faith in the efficacy of petitions isn't nearly the level of yours.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, but Disney is in the hospitality and entertainment business and is concerned with public perception. I've seen nothing whatsoever to indicate that the current collection of loons in the legislature gives a rats ass what citizens think. Hell, look at their reaction to the Moral Monday group. I just traded my somewhat aging Land Cruiser for something (not exclusively, of course) to haul voters in by the truckload, take them to get ID's, take them to the polls. Or, if they are planning to vote Republican, drop them off at the landfill.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:Yeah, but Disney is in the hospitality and entertainment business and is concerned with public perception. I've seen nothing whatsoever to indicate that the current collection of loons in the legislature gives a rats ass what citizens think. Hell, look at their reaction to the Moral Monday group. I just traded my somewhat aging Land Cruiser for something (not exclusively, of course) to haul voters in by the truckload, take them to get ID's, take them to the polls. Or, if they are planning to vote Republican, drop them off at the landfill.
Salute!

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

"One lucky class walked out of Washington High School Friday afternoon with new computers...."

Is it me, or do these students appear to be all fired up and excited about the new computers....?

David Dixon, Washington High School’s drafting instructor, describes what the new computers will mean as his drafting class students look on...

Washington Daily News

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Yahoo News Headliner: Here's A Stunning View Of Earth From Mars, 99 Million Miles Away

Wow! how educational! Is everyone else as stunned as I am?
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede wrote:Judge puts N.C. school voucher program on hold

:clap: Of the 685 private schools registered with the State Division of Non-Public Education, 70% are religious.
70% bother to put it on the shingle. I bet the number is more like 85-90%, if you factor in the ones who don't advertise.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

What If America Was A Pure Meritocracy?

We would all work for Asians.

:mrgreen:

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede wrote:
Wneglia wrote:What If America Was A Pure Meritocracy?

We would all work for Asians.
Only if one believes that the Specialized High School Admissions Test is the sole determinant of merit.
Pretty Disappointing for Asians who have migrated to the US (legally) thinking they could provide a better life for their kids, only to get kicked in the teeth by affirmative action.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

Maybe they need to bone up on their American History. :)

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I saw a story on WLOS this morning that the Houston Independent School District is having a job fair in Raleigh in an effort to recruit teachers; it's about a 25% entry level pay raise for a new teacher. The Houston folks have also run ads in NC newspapers for this as well. I thought it was pretty weird, as well as being another example of how NC is a national laughingstock.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede wrote:It's kind of like military recruiting in slums, barrios and trailer parks, isn't it?
Yeah, that's a pretty good analogy. I don't think I'd move to Texas for anything less than 10 times my current pay.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I would take more than money to entice me to go to Texass. The place is a 3rd world asylum.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Boatrocker wrote:I would take more than money to entice me to go to Texass. The place is a 3rd world asylum.
And now they have Raphael "Ted" Cruz from Canada. They're outsourcing their crazy and putting American wingnuts out of work!

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Hilariously sad. :-0?>

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

from Hong Kong 1st grade elementary admissions test.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Second from the right.

O Really
Admiral

87 - if it's really a first grade test (which I doubt), it's not going to be all that hard.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know if this belongs in "Education" or wingnuttery, or just Texas stupidity, but here goes ...San Antonio - effin' San Antonio!" school district bans sunscreen for kids and considers it a "medicine" that the kids "might eat."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/06/08/te ... picks=true