The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by O Really »

We're going out today on the Hillsborough River. Will report any otter attacks.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Godspeed.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

That sucks.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:04 am
That sucks.
Yeppers.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:42 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:04 am
That sucks.
Yeppers.
Opps, I thought I posted right after billy.pilgrim's 'gator ate dog' post, didn't notice that a new page had started.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Beeyootiful day, no angry otters. Numerous gators, lots of birds including cranes, hawks, great blue herons, and roseate spoonbills. I'd solidly recommend anybody coming around Tampa to take this river trip. Hillsborough River is old, winds around, but goes through a lot of nothing but swamp. No traffic noise for most of it, low river traffic. Go up 301 out of Tampa (Fowler Ave) to just past Thononasassa. Outfitters (Canoe Escape) will be on the left at Sergeant Park. http://www.canoeescape.com/

Good service, decent equipment, on-time pickup, knowledgeable people.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede,

You think 4.5 hours is enough time to explore Cumberland Island? Gonna spend some time up there next week.

Gracias,

- JTA

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am
Vrede,

You think 4.5 hours is enough time to explore Cumberland Island? Gonna spend some time up there next week.

Gracias,

- JTA
It's a loooong island and you're limited by the ferry schedule. You can spend as much or as little time as you want. We began by walking all through the formerly developed, historical southern tip, which I thought was interesting. Then, we went miles up the eastern beach until tired (or it was time for the last ferry) and walked back through the central island scrub. The question is whether you think 4.5 hours is worth the effort in getting there. The beaches are covered with horseshoe crab shells. If you think they're as cool as I do take along a tote bag for carrying one home.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:25 pm
Beeyootiful day, no angry otters. Numerous gators, lots of birds including cranes, hawks, great blue herons, and roseate spoonbills. I'd solidly recommend anybody coming around Tampa to take this river trip. Hillsborough River is old, winds around, but goes through a lot of nothing but swamp. No traffic noise for most of it, low river traffic. Go up 301 out of Tampa (Fowler Ave) to just past Thononasassa. Outfitters (Canoe Escape) will be on the left at Sergeant Park. http://www.canoeescape.com/

Good service, decent equipment, on-time pickup, knowledgeable people.

have you ever been on the Withlacoochee? We canoed between hwy 476 and hwy 44. The 476 to hwy 48 is a good day trip.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:02 pm

have you ever been on the Withlacoochee? We canoed between hwy 476 and hwy 44. The 476 to hwy 48 is a good day trip.
Only the part south of Dunellon.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:25 am
JTA wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 am
Vrede,

Gracias,

- JTA
It's a loooong island and you're limited by the ferry schedule. You can spend as much or as little time as you want. We began by walking all through the formerly developed, historical southern tip, which I thought was interesting. Then, we went miles up the eastern beach until tired (or it was time for the last ferry) and walked back through the central island scrub. The question is whether you think 4.5 hours is worth the effort in getting there. The beaches are covered with horseshoe crab shells. If you think they're as cool as I do take along a tote bag for carrying one home.
Good deal. Might as well spend the day there if I'm paying 30 bucks for a ferry. Maybe I'll pack my hammock and chill out somewhere if I get lazy and wanna kill some time.

Gracias.

O Really
Admiral

This sounds like a JTA story - kayaking/fishing the St. Johns, with overnights.
https://www.canoekayak.com/kayakfish/ka ... ry-part-1/

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I upgraded my backpack to a Osprey Atmos 65L, got to test it out over the weekend on a camping trip to my super secret camping spot in Pisgah Forest. Man what a difference! It barely feels like you have anything on your back. Well worth the money, plus they come with a lifetime warranty.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:25 am
I upgraded my backpack to a Osprey Atmos 65L, got to test it out over the weekend on a camping trip to my super secret camping spot in Pisgah Forest. Man what a difference! It barely feels like you have anything on your back. Well worth the money, plus they come with a lifetime warranty.
I've still got an external frame Kelty with a lifetime warranty that I bought in 1976. I've sent it back for repairs several times - hitchhiking beats up packs more than backpacking does. I'm not quite sure how much of the original pack is still there.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:04 am
JTA wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:25 am
I've still got an external frame Kelty with a lifetime warranty that I bought in 1976. I've sent it back for repairs several times - hitchhiking beats up packs more than backpacking does. I'm not quite sure how much of the original pack is still there.
I had an internal frame kelty before buying this osprey. It's a real good pack, and I could fit everything I needed in it (50 L capacity), but wanted something with a tad bit more space. The Osprey pack has a pretty good design IMO. The feature I like most about it is the front stretchy-mesh compartment which gives you an easy spot to shove random stuff into.

Kelty is a pretty good brand. I've got a Kelty two man tent that's still going strong. It's not "ultra-light" but only comes to about 4 pounds or so. It's free-standing and doesn't require any lines to make it stand which is a plus IMO.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am
I had an internal frame kelty before buying this osprey. It's a real good pack, and I could fit everything I needed in it (50 L capacity), but wanted something with a tad bit more space. The Osprey pack has a pretty good design IMO. The feature I like most about it is the front stretchy-mesh compartment which gives you an easy spot to shove random stuff into.

Kelty is a pretty good brand. I've got a Kelty two man tent that's still going strong. It's not "ultra-light" but only comes to about 4 pounds or so. It's free-standing and doesn't require any lines to make it stand which is a plus IMO.
I've tried buying Kelty since just to show my appreciation. It's never worked out that they had what I wanted where and when I wanted it.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:41 am
JTA wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am

I've tried buying Kelty since just to show my appreciation. It's never worked out that they had what I wanted where and when I wanted it.
What kind of tent do you use?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 am
I have 3:
A winter-capable 2-3 person Sierra Designs.
A cheapo 2-3 person one I bought in Europe that I use for car camping. It's been surprisingly durable. It says "Sierra Trail 3", but I can't find that online. It's not Sierra Designs.
A Texsport tent that was in a free box at the post office. I haven't set it up yet to see if it's all there and in decent shape. It may be for 4 or more people.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Top NC camping places (real camping) https://www.theoutbound.com/chaco-footw ... -campsites

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:22 pm
JTA wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:50 am
I have 3:
A Texsport tent that was in a free box at the post office. I haven't set it up yet to see if it's all there and in decent shape. It may be for 4 or more people.
Yep, 4 people, maybe 5. Excellent shape, except was missing a pole that I just happened to have a perfect replacement for from an old tent - not close, perfect. Some SeamSeal and it'll be good to go. :thumbup:

Why does it have an offset, curved, 2 foot or so zipper in the floor? Emergency bear escape? Indoor shitter?
1312. ETTD.