The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by O Really »

We've been to Okeefenokee several times, and one of the best 'yak trips we ever made was in Okeefenokee. We entered in the middle, by way of Fargo. There's a campground there and a launch. One weekend turned a bit foul for weather - fog, misty rain, chilly, etc. Being primarily a Seattleite at heart, Lady O says if she had never gone out in the rain, she would never have gotten to do anything. Being primarily a Floridian at heart, my tendency is to stay in until the rain passes over in a little while. C'mon, she says. We're here, we've got rain gear, skirts for the kayaks, and it's not raining all that hard. What did we get all this foul weather gear for anyway...yada. So off we went. Foggy, misty, and just enough rain to see drops in the water, but not pouring. Nobody else was foolish enough to go out, so we had pretty much the whole park to ourselves. Which brought out lots of wildlife of all sorts. Including gators as long as our 12-ft boats. Spectacular day!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:10 pm
We've been to Okeefenokee several times, and one of the best 'yak trips we ever made was in Okeefenokee. We entered in the middle, by way of Fargo....
JTA will be on the east side if he's also doing Cumberland Island.
JTA wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:08 pm
Haha yeah I'll probably be going it alone, plus I'm wanting to hit up Cumberland Island the next day, so not trying to be there too late!

I was thinking about renting. There are boats you can rent overnight, correct?
Yep, canoes and kayaks.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Yep, canoes and kayaks.
Context: Lady O and I are legit competent kayakers. We've done a lot of rivers, some lakes, bays/ocean, class III whitewater (though not recently fershure), swamps..

Fact: we can't canoe, and have had our asses kicked all three times we tried.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:02 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Yep, canoes and kayaks.
Context: Lady O and I are legit competent kayakers. We've done a lot of rivers, some lakes, bays/ocean, class III whitewater (though not recently fershure), swamps..

Was it freaky kayaking amongst all those gators? Did you wrastle any while you were out there paddlin' round?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm
O Really wrote:

Was it freaky kayaking amongst all those gators? Did you wrastle any while you were out there paddlin' round?
I love it, canoe or kayak. Got scared one time in the Everglades when we must have woken a big one up straight underneath us in 3 feet of water. The sudden boiling water freaked us out, but I probably wouldn't get surprised if it happened again. It's easy flat paddling for either. Kayak is a bit more efficient, but the foot or more added height in a canoe, then the ability to stand, really increases the gators and other stuff you get to see. When I was last at O. we rotated using both among the 3 of us and I liked both. May not matter, if you're alone and they don't have one-person canoes, definitely rent a kayak.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, the gators on the banks aren't a problem. It's the ones in the water you don't see that can be dangerous. A startled gator can be a foul beast.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:17 pm
JTA wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:30 pm
O Really wrote:

I love it, canoe or kayak. Got scared one time in the Everglades when we must have woken a big one up straight underneath us in 3 feet of water. The sudden boiling water freaked us out, but I probably wouldn't get surprised if it happened again. It's easy flat paddling for either. Kayak is a bit more efficient, but the foot or more added height in a canoe, then the ability to stand, really increases the gators and other stuff you get to see. When I was last at O. we rotated using both among the 3 of us and I liked both. May not matter, if you're alone and they don't have one-person canoes, definitely rent a kayak.

We hit one in the Withlachoochee. There was a split second when I thought we were going into the water.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of the Withlacootchee... we were on it back in the fall and came across some river otters who graciously entertained us for a while. We could drift up to about 20 feet or so from them and watch. Glad there was no gator looking for lunch there, though.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 am
Speaking of the Withlacootchee... we were on it back in the fall and came across some river otters who graciously entertained us for a while. We could drift up to about 20 feet or so from them and watch. Glad there was no gator looking for lunch there, though.
we lived on a small swamp type island in the swamp (Tsala Apopka) created by the Withlacoochee. For 2 years a pair of otters came out of the swamp and crossed our yard early every morning before we let the dogs out.

Damn, that was a cool place to live.

speaking of kayaks, the Canadian and Swedish Olympic teams used the lakes around us for winter kayak training. Their wakes would rock my ever so slow canoe.

also the Rademakers were neighbors. He built the most beautiful hand made canoes I have ever seen and both competed in races all over the world. She was in the Olympics - maybe late 60s - the one in mexico city.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede when you made your reservation for a camping permit at Okefenokee, did you do it online or have to call in?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:43 am
Vrede when you made your reservation for a camping permit at Okefenokee, did you do it online or have to call in?
I'm not sure now, do whatever the website tells you to. Maybe phone, I vaguely remember calling on the first minute in advance that I could, and redialing until I got through. My 1st choice was already gone, but our itinerary worked out perfectly, anyhow. The actual camping permits, which can't be printed too far ahead of time, were misdone by my brother online at some point after I made the reservation.
I was offline, brother printed the overnight camping permits, screwed up by not entering 4 people rather than 1. Robotic FWS Ranger essentially said, "Tough shit, the computer is God, nothing can be fixed on a weekend." We played 'good brother/bad brother (me)' with her for awhile to no avail. I asked to speak with a supervisor - "Can't be done unless someone dies." I threatened to kill my brother :D and told her she is why people detest bureaucracies. Went to Okefenokee Adventures to get boats for, sadly, day trips only. Mentioned being screwed by a minor computer glitch to the owner, Joy - the platforms were still mine and mine only for 2 nights, but they would have ticketed the rest including my 13 year old nephew. She got on the phone with, of course, the "unreachable" FWS Ranger supervisor (on a fire in TN), left credit card number with her for the computer person to fix on Monday. Joy brought joy.
Hey, tell Joy she's still being praised, please.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:04 pm
JTA wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:43 am
I'm not sure now, do whatever the website tells you to. Maybe phone, I vaguely remember calling on the first minute in advance that I could, and redialing until I got through. My 1st choice was already gone, but our itinerary worked out perfectly, anyhow. The actual camping permits, which can't be printed too far ahead of time, were misdone by my brother online at some point after I made the reservation.
I was offline, brother printed the overnight camping permits, screwed up by not entering 4 people rather than 1. Robotic FWS Ranger essentially said, "Tough shit, the computer is God, nothing can be fixed on a weekend." We played 'good brother/bad brother (me)' with her for awhile to no avail. I asked to speak with a supervisor - "Can't be done unless someone dies." I threatened to kill my brother :D and told her she is why people detest bureaucracies. Went to Okefenokee Adventures to get boats for, sadly, day trips only. Mentioned being screwed by a minor computer glitch to the owner, Joy - the platforms were still mine and mine only for 2 nights, but they would have ticketed the rest including my 13 year old nephew. She got on the phone with, of course, the "unreachable" FWS Ranger supervisor (on a fire in TN), left credit card number with her for the computer person to fix on Monday. Joy brought joy.
Hey, tell Joy she's still being praised, please.
I'll tell her you said sup.

Shiiittttt my first choice is also taken. How long you think it takes to pafdle 8 miles?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 pm
Shiiittttt my first choice is also taken. How long you think it takes to pafdle 8 miles?
As little as 2 hours, maybe 3? Like I said, we did one 18.5 mile day.

Okefenokee Adventures will shuttle you to Kingfisher Landing if that gives you more options.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:58 pm
JTA wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 pm
As little as 2 hours, maybe 3? Like I said, we did one 18.5 mile day.

Okefenokee Adventures will shuttle you to Kingfisher Landing if that gives you more options.

Oh snap maybe I'll jsut do that. I'm kind of wanting to just go chill and camp and fish and snack on some ham while I'm doing all of the above.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:19 pm
Oh snap maybe I'll jsut do that. I'm kind of wanting to just go chill and camp and fish and snack on some ham while I'm doing all of the above.
They'll also shuttle you to the west side, but that's a lot of driving time. I would ONLY do that if I was traversing the refuge.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Well shit.

Looks like I may have to can the canoe camping.

The ferry to Cumberland island departs at 11:45. Stephen Foster st park is two hours from the ferry, so I may have to opt for a day canoe trip, and just camp at the campground.

Is Cumberland island worth a visit?

Alternatively, a two day trip in Okefenokee.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 am
Well shit.

The ferry to Cumberland island departs at 11:45. Stephen Foster st park is two hours from the ferry, so I may have to opt for a day canoe trip, and just camp at the campground.

I enjoyed Cumberland Island. However, if I had to choose between it and two days in Okefenokee, I'd pick the latter.

"Stephen Foster st park" - You're going for the west side of Okefenokee now? You have the option of renting a small motorboat there. I did that with the family many years ago.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:57 am
JTA wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:23 am
Well shit.

I enjoyed Cumberland Island. However, if I had to choose between it and two days in Okefenokee, I'd pick the latter.

"Stephen Foster st park" - You're going for the west side of Okefenokee now? You have the option of renting a small motorboat there. I did that with the family many years ago.
Yeah man. I'm thinking that side. Gonna do some.more research since I'll be out there two days rather than one. I'd like to get a spot or two where I can have a campfire.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:39 am
O Really wrote:
we lived on a small swamp type island in the swamp (Tsala Apopka) created by the Withlacoochee. For 2 years a pair of otters came out of the swamp and crossed our yard early every morning before we let the dogs out....
The gators are perfectly safe to go boating with. The otters, otoh . . .
Wild Otter Attacks 77-Year-Old Woman Kayaking on Florida River

A possibly rabid otter attacked a group of kayakers in central Florida, biting and scratching a 77-year-old woman and ripping off part of her ear.

The boaters were paddling up the Braden River Sunday, enjoying a peaceful and sunny morning when a wild otter jumped on the kayak of Sue Spector, ran up her back and began clawing at her face, guide Marsha Wikle told InsideEdition.com.

"She was in the water, her husband was in the water and two other women were whacking the otter with their paddles," Wikle said of the chaotic scene....

"He did serious damage to her nose," Wikle said. "He bit off a piece of her ear." ...

Once the couple's capsized boats were emptied of water, they got back in and the group headed for their launch site. Luckily, Wikle said, they'd only been on the water for about 10 minutes.

But they weren't out of the woods yet.

"Within five minutes, the otter was chasing us," Wikle said. "I just said, 'Paddle like hell, everyone.'"

Back on shore, Marty Spector drove his wife to a nearby hospital, where she was given antibiotics to keep her wounds from becoming infected. She also received treatment for rabies.

Wikle spoke with with Florida Fish and Wildlife officers, who were already on the scene to answer a report made the previous day about an aggressive otter that tried to attack someone. Wikle and her group didn't know about that incident when they shoved off Sunday morning.

"The attacks were about two miles apart," Wikle said. Wildlife agents are searching for the otter and think it may be rabid, she said....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:54 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:39 am
O Really wrote:
we lived on a small swamp type island in the swamp (Tsala Apopka) created by the Withlacoochee. For 2 years a pair of otters came out of the swamp and crossed our yard early every morning before we let the dogs out....
The gators are perfectly safe to go boating with. The otters, otoh . . .
Wild Otter Attacks 77-Year-Old Woman Kayaking on Florida River

A possibly rabid otter attacked a group of kayakers in central Florida, biting and scratching a 77-year-old woman and ripping off part of her ear.

The boaters were paddling up the Braden River Sunday, enjoying a peaceful and sunny morning when a wild otter jumped on the kayak of Sue Spector, ran up her back and began clawing at her face, guide Marsha Wikle told InsideEdition.com.

"She was in the water, her husband was in the water and two other women were whacking the otter with their paddles," Wikle said of the chaotic scene....

"He did serious damage to her nose," Wikle said. "He bit off a piece of her ear." ...

Once the couple's capsized boats were emptied of water, they got back in and the group headed for their launch site. Luckily, Wikle said, they'd only been on the water for about 10 minutes.

But they weren't out of the woods yet.

"Within five minutes, the otter was chasing us," Wikle said. "I just said, 'Paddle like hell, everyone.'"

Back on shore, Marty Spector drove his wife to a nearby hospital, where she was given antibiotics to keep her wounds from becoming infected. She also received treatment for rabies.

Wikle spoke with with Florida Fish and Wildlife officers, who were already on the scene to answer a report made the previous day about an aggressive otter that tried to attack someone. Wikle and her group didn't know about that incident when they shoved off Sunday morning.

"The attacks were about two miles apart," Wikle said. Wildlife agents are searching for the otter and think it may be rabid, she said....
My otters were fun to watch, but while sitting on the steps sweating after just mowing the yard, I looked up to see my beagle break through the underbrush, separating the lawn from the swamp, at full speed - tail tucked and a large gator close behind. He and my big hound loved fucking with the gators in the tall swamp grass, but I reckon none of us knew just how fast they can move on a freshly cut lawn. Before I could stand, it caught Short Louis and they both disappeared into the deep pool across the yard.

They can move insanely fast.