The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:32 pm
JTA wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:37 pm
I think I'd be too chicken-shit to camp where grizzlies lived.
Attacks are pretty rare and hanging all food away from the tent is about all that you need to do. I never had a problem, though my girlfriend's pack did get ripped up by a people-fearless black bear in Smoky Park. It's always going to be far more dangerous driving to the trailhead.
Not that hanging food always works. Black bear:

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hard core kayaking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVuuxqZZCRg

"Backpaddle, backpaddle"

Holy crap:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jRTrRxamxQ

I would have done something, not just stood there.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

The guy in the second was hunting - maybe not bears, but the bear should have taken him out anyway.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:41 pm
The guy in the second was hunting - maybe not bears, but the bear should have taken him out anyway.
He presumably had a gun - bow and arrow are possible, but they'll often have a backup handgun - should have had bear spray, could have yelled, could have exited the stand. Doing nothing would not have occurred to me, I would have assumed that an attack was in progress. One fast paw swipe would have made for a very bad day.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I support the right to arm bears.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I've been backpacking a bunch, and I've yet to encounter a bear. Last trip was out in shining rock along the creek between sam knob and little sam knob. Used a bear can, cooked the food far away from the campsite, stored the food in a bear can in a completely different location, and slept in another.

Anyone ever have a bear approach while sleeping?
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 am

Nope, the only bears I've seen approach have been awake. :lol:

But yeah, we've seen bears in campgrounds, but never when we were in a tent. Of course, it's been a long time since we were out in a tent anyway, and when we did it was mostly Florida.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Whack9 wrote:
I've been backpacking a bunch, and I've yet to encounter a bear. Last trip was out in shining rock along the creek between sam knob and little sam knob. Used a bear can, cooked the food far away from the campsite, stored the food in a bear can in a completely different location, and slept in another.

Ours pretty much have free reign of the neighborhood while we sleep. Does that count?

We have 3 vacant lots on our waterfront street. One partially wooded waterfront lot and two low lying densely wooded lots directly across the street. The bears spend a lot of time in the two wooded lots.

The two guys who started clearing one of the lots early last week were appreciative that we told them about the bears, but for some reason, they haven't been back.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:27 am
Whack9 wrote:
Nope, the only bears I've seen approach have been awake. :lol:
:lol:

No, I've always been rigorous about the bear-safe campsite practices. Thought there was one once in Yellowstone, but when we finally got up the nerve to unzip the tent it was a moose and calf just feet away, which wasn't necessarily safer.

Opps, there was a black bear while car camping in Yosemite, left us alone in the tent, put some good paw prints on the car windows, ran when I yelled at it.

I have been rousted by bears (cops) for sleeping in my car.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Once a woman got temporarily trapped in her RV by a bear just outside the door. Turns out the bear's cubs were in the tree across the campsite and Mama bear was staying between the woman and the cubs. When the cubs came down the tree, they all left peaceably.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:39 am

No, I've always been rigorous about the bear-safe campsite practices.
There at West Yellowstone at the bear/wolf rescue they do bear testing of coolers and trash containers. In general, it seems to be possible to make something bear-resistant, but not bear-proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgaTAJrCubo

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am
There at West Yellowstone at the bear/wolf rescue they do bear testing of coolers and trash containers. In general, it seems to be possible to make something bear-resistant, but not bear-proof.
Unless above treeline I've always hung food, or kept it in the car. One has to take the time to find a good hanging tree.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:39 am

No, I've always been rigorous about the bear-safe campsite practices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgaTAJrCubo
The bear cans supposedly do a good job, but they're not entirely full-proof. I was reading about some bear that was known to have figured out how to open bear canisters.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:49 am
O Really wrote:
Unless above treeline I've always hung food, or kept it in the car. One has to take the time to find a good hanging tree.
Went backpacking a while back in shining rock. We were beat after having hiked about 13 miles that day. Got back to the campsite, got to drinking some bourbon, hung the food up and went to bed.

Woke up in the morning and realized the bag was maybe 5 feet off the ground. Luckily it was undisturbed.

From then on out - hang food before drinking.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:35 am
... hang food before drinking.
Idk, a bourbon bottle might smell like food to a bear, 'coon or rodent. We were really anal about it, cooking/eating gear, smoke, toothpaste and toothbrushes even got hung.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:01 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:35 am
... hang food before drinking.
Idk, a bourbon bottle might smell like food to a bear, 'coon or rodent. We were really anal about it, cooking/eating gear, smoke, toothpaste and toothbrushes even got hung.
Yeah that's very true.

Someone had a run-in with a bear while sleeping in Graveyard fields. They had deoderant or toothpaste with them, can't remember which. Anyway, a bear tried to get it and the person suffered scratches. I think after that they shut the area down to campers.

Last time I was out I left the food/smelly stuff in the canister and hung the flask up high in a tree.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:59 pm
Yeah that's very true.

Someone had a run-in with a bear while sleeping in Graveyard fields. They had deoderant or toothpaste with them, can't remember which. Anyway, a bear tried to get it and the person suffered scratches. I think after that they shut the area down to campers.

Last time I was out I left the food/smelly stuff in the canister and hung the flask up high in a tree.
People take deodorant backpacking? :crazy: They deserve to get et by a bear.

I've never had or used a bear canister, don't think I would unless mandatory. I'm not sure about above treeline trips, bears usually won't be there unless there's something like a ladybug hatch going on.

Bear Canister Basics

Aside: People have sprayed pepper spray on items in order to repel bears. It's PEPPER spray, unless they get sprayed in the face it smells like food to them.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:15 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:59 pm
Yeah that's very true.

People take deodorant backpacking? :crazy: They deserve to get et by a bear.

I've never had or used a bear canister, don't think I would unless mandatory. I'm not sure about above treeline trips, bears usually won't be there unless there's something like a ladybug hatch going on.

Bear Canister Basics

Aside: People have sprayed pepper spray on items in order to repel bears. It's PEPPER spray, unless they get sprayed in the face it smells like food to them.
The cannisters are kind of a pain in the ass. They require them in the Shining Rock Wilderness now due to people not properly stowing away food making the bears ornery. The cans add like 4 pounds to your pack.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I realize that we have entirely different bear situations, but …

ours look for food inside the plastic bags the newspaper come in. Sometimes they don't stop with the plastic bag.

do y'all carry horns. even our neighborhood bears haul ass when you blow an air horn. They come in pocket size that gives off 1-3 blasts.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 pm
... do y'all carry horns. even our neighborhood bears haul ass when you blow an air horn. They come in pocket size that gives off 1-3 blasts.
Just bear spray. Most bears in the woods are not so used to people that they wouldn't be just as deterred by a yell as an air horn. It is an idea for air travel, though, since bear spray isn't allowed.

No, O Really, it wouldn't be for if the cabin attendant button is broken.
1312. ETTD.