The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Ombudsman
Ensign

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by Ombudsman »

O Really wrote:Oh yeah, and don't forget Max Patch bald. A bit of a drive to get there, but well worth it. Spectacular itself, and also on the AT.
The hike to Big Bald on the AT isn't too far, if you don't mind walking up hill for five miles. The trip back down is a breeze. If you like the balds, Grayson Highlands and Roan Mtn are worth the drive.
Wing nuts. Not just for breakfast anymore.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Ombudsman wrote:
O Really wrote:Oh yeah, and don't forget Max Patch bald. A bit of a drive to get there, but well worth it. Spectacular itself, and also on the AT.
The hike to Big Bald on the AT isn't too far, if you don't mind walking up hill for five miles. The trip back down is a breeze. If you like the balds, Grayson Highlands and Roan Mtn are worth the drive.
Roan mountain was great. You ever camped out on any of the balds? It's something I've been wanting to do, seems like it would be pretty cool as long as the weather is nice and calm. I want to camp out on Black Balsam knob near graveyard fields since the drive isn't too bad. God dang I wish it was spring.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Ombudsman
Ensign

That Alum cave trail looks pretty cool. How long would you say it takes to hike it round trip?
It's ten miles round trip so allow five hours. It's not a fast hike. Some of it requires walking on the edge of the trail while holding on to a cable so as not to fall off. It's trickier in the snow.
I've been wanting to check out the trails up near grandfather mountain sometime. Seems pretty good.
Yep it is. Especially if you start at the bottom, head up the Profile Trail to the Grandfather Trail. The Grandfather trail runs across that ridge you see when driving up 221 near Banner Elk. You're climbing over all those rocks using cables and ladders. It's pretty awesome.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Roan Mountain is great, too.
Theoretically, you can't camp at the top of Max Patch, but can camp off the summit. But that is greatly ignored, and every time I've been up there, there have been campers on the top. I don't think anybody is actually going to chase you off. I've done some backwoods camping in the past, but generally what I call "camping" now is more comfortable than most people staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

Ombudsman
Ensign

JTA wrote: Roan mountain was great. You ever camped out on any of the balds? It's something I've been wanting to do, seems like it would be pretty cool as long as the weather is nice and calm. I want to camp out on Black Balsam knob near graveyard fields since the drive isn't too bad. God dang I wish it was spring.
I don't ever camp on the balds. I never understood the desire to do that. It's just windy and a long way from a water source, and not very secluded. At Black Balsam I usually go down below Sam Knob and camp by Laurel Creek or camp up at Shining Rock. At Roan I camp in the woods, near the shelters, where there is also water available.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Ombudsman wrote:
JTA wrote: Roan mountain was great. You ever camped out on any of the balds? It's something I've been wanting to do, seems like it would be pretty cool as long as the weather is nice and calm. I want to camp out on Black Balsam knob near graveyard fields since the drive isn't too bad. God dang I wish it was spring.
I don't ever camp on the balds. I never understood the desire to do that. It's just windy and a long way from a water source, and not very secluded. At Black Balsam I usually go down below Sam Knob and camp by Laurel Creek or camp up at Shining Rock. At Roan I camp in the woods, near the shelters, where there is also water available.
I can't remember what it's called exactly, but at Roan at the very last bald there's a nice grassy area I wanted to camp out at. Seemed like a real chill spot. Nothing more than a night though. The spot was surrounded by bushes so it was pretty sheltered from wind and what not.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Ombudsman wrote:
You know of some good places to camp that aren't too far off the road? My camping pals are lazy sonsofbitches and don't like to walk very far.

Ombudsman
Ensign

O Really wrote:Roan Mountain is great, too.
Theoretically, you can't camp at the top of Max Patch, but can camp off the summit. But that is greatly ignored, and every time I've been up there, there have been campers on the top. I don't think anybody is actually going to chase you off. I've done some backwoods camping in the past, but generally what I call "camping" now is more comfortable than most people staying at the Holiday Inn Express.
There's an AT shelter just off the bald that also has several nice tent spots. I don't really like shelters but I slept in that one a couple years ago and was awoken by something chewing. I turned on my head lamp to see a bat hanging above me who stopped to look at me and then flew off but I thought he was heading for my light and ducked. After that I had a hard time going to sleep. Just about dozed off and heard something in front of the shelter, pretty large. I had seen a lot of tracks on the trail on the way in which were either elk or llama tracks, probably llama but that's close enough to GSMNP that it could have been elk and they look kind of similar. Anyway, I wanted to see one so I sat there desperately trying to see in the dark. On the way in a coyote had run out in front of my car, and I had heard they'd been wreaking havoc in the area so it could have been that. Anyway, the point is I don't like shelters.

Ombudsman
Ensign

JTA wrote:
Ombudsman wrote:
I can't remember what it's called exactly, but at Roan at the very last bald there's a nice grassy area I wanted to camp out at. Seemed like a real chill spot. Nothing more than a night though. The spot was surrounded by bushes so it was pretty sheltered from wind and what not.
I think you're talking about Little Hump Mtn. That is a nice spot.

Ombudsman
Ensign

JTA wrote:
Ombudsman wrote:
You know of some good places to camp that aren't too far off the road? My camping pals are lazy sonsofbitches and don't like to walk very far.
Yeah so are mine. That's why I usually go by myself. At Black Balsam you can camp right at the beginning of the Art Loeb trail, just off the road just before you head up to the top of Black Balsam. You know where the Art Loeb crosses the road and people park on the side of the road? Just walk up that way a few feet and there are plenty of places to camp.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote: You know of some good places to camp that aren't too far off the road? My camping pals are lazy sonsofbitches and don't like to walk very far.
I'd strongly suggest Oconee State Park, about 10 miles north of Walhalla. It's a beautiful park, with a good section for primitive camps. Far enough out that it would feel like "wilderness" but still easy to get to from parking. Nice lakes, good campsites, good trails, and more trails nearby. Whitewater rafting about 10-15 miles away. http://southcarolinaparks.com/oconee/introduction.aspx

Also, in Pisgah Forest, if you take the forest road up toward the horse stables (off 276 a few miles north of 64), there are camping sites, some beside water, and some good hikes a little further up the road.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote: You know of some good places to camp that aren't too far off the road? My camping pals are lazy sonsofbitches and don't like to walk very far.
I'd strongly suggest Oconee State Park, about 10 miles north of Walhalla. It's a beautiful park, with a good section for primitive camps. Far enough out that it would feel like "wilderness" but still easy to get to from parking. Nice lakes, good campsites, good trails, and more trails nearby. Whitewater rafting about 10-15 miles away. http://southcarolinaparks.com/oconee/introduction.aspx

Also, in Pisgah Forest, if you take the forest road up toward the horse stables (off 276 a few miles north of 64), there are camping sites, some beside water, and some good hikes a little further up the road.
Oh yeah I think I checked Pisgah out a while back. Haven' camped there yet though. We drove down one of the forest dirt roads and some older guy by himself tried to make us a sandwhich. For real, he had a cooler and tried to make us a deli sandwich. Don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I'm not a child so I'm assuming he wasn't a chester, maybe just a nice dude offering up some deli sandwiches to passer bys. But anyway, I'm not sure what road it was. I think it was called "National Forest Road"? Looking on the google maps. Seemed like there were some good spots. Might have to check them out this summer.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Ombudsman wrote:
JTA wrote:
Ombudsman wrote:
Yeah so are mine. That's why I usually go by myself. At Black Balsam you can camp right at the beginning of the Art Loeb trail, just off the road just before you head up to the top of Black Balsam. You know where the Art Loeb crosses the road and people park on the side of the road? Just walk up that way a few feet and there are plenty of places to camp.
Another "trail" (not really a strenuous hiking trail, but something to do if you have an hour or so to kill or just feel you need to go for a walk someplace close by) in Greenville is lake Constee trail. It's not serious hiking or anything, but nevertheless it's something to do and a nice little place to walk.

Ombudsman
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Those are pretty close to the road. If you go a tad further up 276 and turn left on the road that goes to the fish hatchery, there are a lot of nice spots by the Davidson River. You just have to pull off and start walking through the woods and you'll find them. There are several easy to find from the fish hatchery parking area too. Just take the trail up to John Rock and you'll see them on the left by the river.

Ombudsman
Ensign

JTA wrote:
Ombudsman wrote:
JTA wrote:
Ombudsman wrote:
Another "trail" (not really a strenuous hiking trail, but something to do if you have an hour or so to kill or just feel you need to go for a walk someplace close by) in Greenville is lake Constee trail. It's not serious hiking or anything, but nevertheless it's something to do and a nice little place to walk.
Yeah I run there a lot too. Did an 8k race there last weekend. There's a 6K next weekend sponsored by Half Moon.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Vrede wrote:
Ombudsman wrote:...Anyway, the point is I don't like shelters.
Arrived at one in GSMNP where we planned to stay, there was a bear inside - corner of the chain link fence pried up. Scared it out, partner had not put backpack high enough in a tree, it ate the pop tarts.
Well sometimes it's hard to find a tree high enough, although I think in the park there are always cables available. I was camping at Cumberland Island once and all the trees are bent over from the constant wind so you can't get your pack more than a few feet off the ground. They don't have bears there but the armadillos are really aggressive. As soon as you set up camp they walk right up while you're standing there and try to get in your pack. We hung our packs as high as we could get them which was about 8 feet off the ground. There was a pond behind us with alligators in it and there are also wild horses all over the place which aren't very friendly, and we had seen a giant dead boar with nasty looking tusks on the way in, so we figured there were more. In the middle of the night something spooked the horses and they ran through the woods towards us so my kids and I all woke up thinking we were about to be trampled at which point we noticed that although we had managed to get the packs high enough to avoid the armadillos, a raccoon had managed to run up the tree and was reaching down toward our packs. Wasn't a very restful night.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Have any of you by any chance been out around Moab Utah (Southeast Utah)? Vrede I know you probably have don't let me down.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:Yes, I've hiked in both Arches and Canyonlands. I almost went back to help train anti-fracking activists last summer, but the sponsors dropped the ball for my needs.
Any memorable trails? I'm headed out there this spring and both those places are on my list.

O Really
Admiral

I've been on neither of those, but have hiked Zion, including the Narrows. I highly recommend it.

Ombudsman
Ensign

On the west coast one of the nicer hikes I've done was at Point Reyes National Sea Shore north of SF. There's a five mile trail that goes to a stream that drops off a cliff into a 30 ft waterfall that falls into the ocean. Another one was a ridge hike in Cupertino, right on the coast so as you're on the ridge you can see the SF bay. Think a lot of people forget how many awesome places there are to hike on the coasts. In SC Bulls Island is one of the most awesome places you'll ever find to explore.