The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by JTA »

Ombudsman wrote:On the west coast one of the nicer hikes I've done was at Point Reyes National Sea Shore north of SF. There's a five mile trail that goes to a stream that drops off a cliff into a 30 ft waterfall that falls into the ocean. Another one was a ridge hike in Cupertino, right on the coast so as you're on the ridge you can see the SF bay. Think a lot of people forget how many awesome places there are to hike on the coasts. In SC Bulls Island is one of the most awesome places you'll ever find to explore.
Can you drive to Bull Island, or do you have to take a ferry or something like that? Do you know of any other places on or near the coast that are good for hiking and camping? Don't know if you've been to Hunting Island (near Hilton Head). It's a pretty cool place, but as far as I know you can only camp at the campground which doesn't seem to appealing because there isn't much privacy. Nice place if you don't have anything else to do and are in the area.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Unread post by Ombudsman »

JTA wrote:
Ombudsman wrote:On the west coast one of the nicer hikes I've done was at Point Reyes National Sea Shore north of SF. There's a five mile trail that goes to a stream that drops off a cliff into a 30 ft waterfall that falls into the ocean. Another one was a ridge hike in Cupertino, right on the coast so as you're on the ridge you can see the SF bay. Think a lot of people forget how many awesome places there are to hike on the coasts. In SC Bulls Island is one of the most awesome places you'll ever find to explore.
Can you drive to Bull Island, or do you have to take a ferry or something like that? Do you know of any other places on or near the coast that are good for hiking and camping? Don't know if you've been to Hunting Island (near Hilton Head). It's a pretty cool place, but as far as I know you can only camp at the campground which doesn't seem to appealing because there isn't much privacy. Nice place if you don't have anything else to do and are in the area.
You have to take a ferry and make sure you bring cash. And you have to make sure you're back when the ferry returns. I haven't ever been to Hunting Island but I've heard a lot about it. Cumberland Island which I mentioned above is about five hours away - to the ferry anyway, then another 45 minutes. There are some sections of the Palmetto trail on the coast but I'm not sure there's a place to camp.
Wing nuts. Not just for breakfast anymore.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

What kind of gear do you guys usually carry when you go backpacking? I've got a relatively cheap backpack I use. It's only 3400 cubic inches but I don't go for extended periods of time so it works. The first tent I bought was something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wenzel-Current-Hi ... cking+tent

Felt like a coffin, I do not recommend.

Ombudsman
Ensign

I have a Gregory internal frame pack and use a one man REI tent. I lean more towards ultralight backpacking so I don't need too much room in my pack. The only dishes I carry are a titanium cup and a spork. I use a Snowpeak stove, MSR water filter and Thermarest sleeping pad. My pack is generally comfortable enough I don't ever feel the need to take it off until I get to camp. You may have some interest in attending this: http://www.rei.com/event/43586/session/87172

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: ".....but the sponsors dropped the ball for my needs."
Like....pay your way there? -0-?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Have any of you had any encounters with questionable people while backpacking?

How about any run-ins with wild animals?

I think I'd be more worried about animals. I've never encountered a bear out on the trail, only some coyotes, but holy hell I'd be freaked the F out if I saw a bear, even knowing it more than likely isn't going to kill me. Is it wise to carry bear mace or is it really unnecessary?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

JTA wrote:Have any of you had any encounters with questionable people while backpacking?

I think I'd be more worried about animals. I've never encountered a bear out on the trail, only some coyotes, but holy hell I'd be freaked the F out if I saw a bear, even knowing it more than likely isn't going to kill me. Is it wise to carry bear mace or is it really unnecessary?
We've seen bears several times, but none close enough to feel threatened. It really does (usually) work to let them know you're around. I carry bear spray more for the potential foul two-leggers than the bears. We've seen some suspicious looking two-legged critters, but never have had to spray any.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:We've seen some suspicious looking two-legged critters, but never have had to spray any.
Sasquatches?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

JTA wrote:
O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:We've seen some suspicious looking two-legged critters, but never have had to spray any.
Sasquatches?
Not so lucky. Usually rednecks, that are uglier and smell worse than Sasquatches and leave more garbage in the woods.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:
O Really wrote:
Sasquatches?
Not so lucky. Usually rednecks, that are uglier and smell worse than Sasquatches and leave more garbage in the woods.
Did they try to start trouble, or did they just look threatening with the mullets and bud light? People leaving garbage in the woods pisses me off. I saw some guy dumping some trash off the side of the mountain somewhere in Georgia. I couldn't make out his plate to report the bastard though.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Actually, I think the biggest danger around here is snakes, especially for our four legged hiking companions.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Probably Tea Party snakes. :crazy:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: "NC has the highest per capita rate of venomous snake bites in the country. I'm not sure whether that says more about the snakes or about North Carolinians."
I would have thought that Kentucky, Tennessee, and West Virginia would be tied for first place! (See the "Religion" thread)

"Adults never die from copperheads, rattlers are dicier but usually easier to avoid."
See the "Religion" thread.

"I've helped treat several folks of the drunken, "Hey Bubba, look at my pet snake," type."
How many snake-handlin' "church services" have you attended anyway? :lol:

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Kentucky might be more correct.....
Snake-Handling Reality Show Preacher Dies from Snakebite

http://nation.time.com/2014/02/16/snake ... topstories

Ombudsman
Ensign

JTA wrote:Have any of you had any encounters with questionable people while backpacking?
I've encountered a few weirdos and few gun nuts. Some paramilitary types were camped near me awhile back who felt the need to stay holstered while walking around camp. In the morning they started shooting things. Drunken assholes are the biggest issue. Mostly I've met really great people while in the backcountry. Picked up a hitch hiker last summer near the AT and dropped him off where I was headed and we ended up hiking together for the next three days with no shortage of things to talk about.

I've encountered bears, alligators, foxes, coyotes, beavers, wild horses, wild ponies, elk, deer of course. Only thing I've had trouble with are raccoons, the aforementioned armadillos and people's dogs off leash. Bears don't usually bother you. Not black bears anyway which is all we have around here. I saw four at different times in different places last summer. If you see one just back away slowly and don't look it in the eye. Most animals are pretty timid and they smell you long before you get near them and run off.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

One thing I wouldn't want to see if I was out in the backpacking in the wilderness is a UFO. I'm not talking about some secret government fighter jet, I'm talking about a legit 100% extra-terrestrial alien UFO. Not saying they exist, I haven't ever seen one, but I haven't seen gravity either and I know that exists. Imagine if you saw one hovering over your campsite when you're in the middle of the forest camping... alone. No Thanks.

Terrifying documentary about UFOs abducting people out of the wilderness: here.

Ombudsman
Ensign

If stories on hiking sites are an accurate indicator, you're much more likely to encounter bigfoot than aliens.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Ombudsman wrote: "If stories on hiking sites are an accurate indicator, you're much more likely to encounter bigfoot than aliens."
Vrede wrote: Image

(the resemblance to Mr.B is purely coincidental)
I'm not that tall.......Image

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Have any of you hiked Looking Glass Rock? Heard it was a pretty decent hike with rewarding overlook?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Has anyone visited Cabelys in Greenville yet? Pretty decent. I made my way over the the other day. The redneck to civilian ratio wasn't too bad. I imagine opening day it was pretty bad though. Heard we're also getting a bass pro shop round these parts soon as well. I'm a big fan of giant fish tanks, of which Cabelys has - stocked full of fishin' fish too nonetheless. Cool. :thumbup: