The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by JTA »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote:
psilocybin mushrooms
Asking for scientific purposes only for a friend, but exactly how prevalent are these in the wild, and how easy are they to distinguish between poisonous cousins, and where can one typically find these?

much harder to find due to the fungicides used in cow feed these days. We used to pick them by the bushel after heavy summer rains. this summer was the first time I have looked in about 10 years. I found a very few, but they were there.

there are many types, but the only one I know of that grows in the US grows in the SE. This mushroom spores do their thing only in a cow's stomach and the mycelium - the spidery looking plant that produces the mushroom grows the cow's shit. 2 or 3 days after a heavy summer rain the shrooms buttons start popping out of the older cow pies. Size can vary from dime size to half dollar for the buttons and quarter to 4 or 5 inched across for the fully opened mushroom due to rain amount and the age of the mycelium.

Wiki indicates more varieties than my 1970 research, but the 2nd picture in wiki is pretty similar to the type we have in the SE. The center can be gold to almost brown and lightening to a pale tan or almost white at the edges. The gills and spores are very dark purple and look black.

The 2 primary identifying keys are:
1) They grow in cow shit and
2) when broken or crushed the area immediately turns a dark purple.

Early on we didn’t know that they also contain strychnine and we would often get moderate stomach cramps. After that we started drinking lots of liquids (beer) to flush out the strychnine and never had cramps after.

We ate a bunch of them (Buddy ate over a hundred one time) and I don’t know of anyone who got sick, but Vrede may offer different advice.

Great high and lasts about 4 hours.
I find it humorous that you can legally buy magic mushroom spores online. The mushroom itself isn't illegal, only the psychedelic substance, which the spores Don't contain.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

JTA wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote:
psilocybin mushrooms
Asking for scientific purposes only for a friend, but exactly how prevalent are these in the wild, and how easy are they to distinguish between poisonous cousins, and where can one typically find these?

much harder to find due to the fungicides used in cow feed these days. We used to pick them by the bushel after heavy summer rains. this summer was the first time I have looked in about 10 years. I found a very few, but they were there.

there are many types, but the only one I know of that grows in the US grows in the SE. This mushroom spores do their thing only in a cow's stomach and the mycelium - the spidery looking plant that produces the mushroom grows the cow's shit. 2 or 3 days after a heavy summer rain the shrooms buttons start popping out of the older cow pies. Size can vary from dime size to half dollar for the buttons and quarter to 4 or 5 inched across for the fully opened mushroom due to rain amount and the age of the mycelium.

Wiki indicates more varieties than my 1970 research, but the 2nd picture in wiki is pretty similar to the type we have in the SE. The center can be gold to almost brown and lightening to a pale tan or almost white at the edges. The gills and spores are very dark purple and look black.

The 2 primary identifying keys are:
1) They grow in cow shit and
2) when broken or crushed the area immediately turns a dark purple.

Early on we didn’t know that they also contain strychnine and we would often get moderate stomach cramps. After that we started drinking lots of liquids (beer) to flush out the strychnine and never had cramps after.

We ate a bunch of them (Buddy ate over a hundred one time) and I don’t know of anyone who got sick, but Vrede may offer different advice.

Great high and lasts about 4 hours.
I find it humorous that you can legally buy magic mushroom spores online. The mushroom itself isn't illegal, only the psychedelic substance, which the spores Don't contain.

But you would still need a cow
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Last edited by Mr.B on Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

A ramp is an onion-type thing. With it's own religion.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/2 ... 28438.html

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

NJ ain't all that bad:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I'm going on a week long camping excusion (car camping) thursday and came down with a nasty sinus cold turning me into a snot goblin. Figures.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede, when you go on backpacking/camping trips, what kind of sleeping pad do you use, if any?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thermarest for backpacking, egg crate for car camping if there's room. I have a full length Thermarest because of past winter backpacking, but a 3/4 length is sufficient for most uses,
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:Thermarest for backpacking, egg crate for car camping if there's room. I have a full length Thermarest because of past winter backpacking, but a 3/4 length is sufficient for most uses,
Yeah I just bought a Therma-rest scout, regular size. I used to use an alp-mountaneering pad that weighs a bit more than the thermarest and doesnt pack down as much, but it served me well. I've got a full sized alps-mountaneering pad for car camping.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

At about your age or a bit older I decided that I was too delicate ;) for roughing it with Ensolite or other foam pads. Be sure to use a protective sack for your Thermarest. They can be punctured, though repair with inner tube or similar glue ain't that hard.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:At about your age or a bit older I decided that I was too delicate ;) for roughing it with Ensolite or other foam pads. Be sure to use a protective sack for your Thermarest. They can be punctured, though repair with inner tube or similar glue ain't that hard.
Yeah, some people are gung-ho about being ultra light. Literally sawing off the handle from their toothbrush to save a few ounces.

Shit man. No thanks. I don't mind an extra few pounds for creature comforts.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't remember if Thermarests are heavier than foam - expense was an issue when I was a poor hippie - but I am able to carry more weight if I've had a decent night's sleep.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

They're a bit heavier. The Alps pad I had weighed about 2.3 lbs. The thermarest scout weighs about 1.9 pounds.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I once camped on deep Spring snow in a cheap tube tent beneath Montana's Chinese Wall in the Bob Marshall Wilderness using a cheap foam pad.

It did not go well.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Shit I bet. Coldest I camped in was on my way up to the Jerz I stopped and camped in natural bridge va in Dec. It was cold as shit and my gear was not sufficient. Supposedly you're supposed to eat something fatty like butter before going to sleep because it raises your body temp since it takes extra work to digest or something

Ay, what about hiking clothes?Been thinking about getting a Merino wool t shirt, heard they were worth it since they're better than cotton, and don't stank after wearing them a bunch of times without washing them. They're just expensive as hell.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

When it sucks I look for a motel.

Wool can be nice, but I think the range of person-made fabrics are superior. You don't notice stank when backpacking, can wash next to streams, and can do laundry when you come out. Maybe save the expensive merino for http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... rsy#p72832.

1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:When it sucks I look for a motel.

Wool can be nice, but I think the range of person-made fabrics are superior. You don't notice stank when backpacking, can wash next to streams, and can do laundry when you come out. Maybe save the expensive merino for http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... rsy#p72832.

That man is dressed as if he's spent the last ten years working in the North Dakota oil fields, not a seasoned thru-hiker.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Donald J. Trump, Jr. is dressed as if he's never done any real work or hiking.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I thought that was a pic of a grizzled frontiersman from the late 1800s.