The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by O Really »

How did I spend my Memorial Day holiday weekend? Three days of the Foothills Trail. No, not the whole thing - that takes about 7 days, but I enjoy a series of day hikes - in this case from Oconee State Park up to around Sloan Bridge. About 22 or so miles total, but some really great hiking. Not particularly rough, very scenic, particularly the part that goes along the banks of the Chattooga River. Only one bear sighting, plus one seriously big snapping turtle, some deer, and lots of blossoms, wildflowers, and water. King's Falls is spectacular, along with Big Bend Falls and Pigpen (yes, stupid name, but beautiful falls).

I highly recommend it. You don't have to be a serious hiker to enjoy the Oconee end, but it helps to be in pretty good shape if you're going toward Sassafras Mountain from Table Rock. As with most mountain trails, get a half mile out of the parking lot, and you've got it pretty much to yourself.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:How did I spend my Memorial Day holiday weekend? Three days of the Foothills Trail. No, not the whole thing - that takes about 7 days, but I enjoy a series of day hikes - in this case from Oconee State Park up to around Sloan Bridge. About 22 or so miles total, but some really great hiking. Not particularly rough, very scenic, particularly the part that goes along the banks of the Chattooga River. Only one bear sighting, plus one seriously big snapping turtle, some deer, and lots of blossoms, wildflowers, and water. King's Falls is spectacular, along with Big Bend Falls and Pigpen (yes, stupid name, but beautiful falls).

I highly recommend it. You don't have to be a serious hiker to enjoy the Oconee end, but it helps to be in pretty good shape if you're going toward Sassafras Mountain from Table Rock. As with most mountain trails, get a half mile out of the parking lot, and you've got it pretty much to yourself.
Nice! I've been meaning to check out that trail. The past few weekends I've been spending some time up at Pisgah. One camping trip and one hiking trip at Looking Glass Rock. Impressive trail. Spent memorial day weekend and the week preceding it in Utah. Also impressive.

Let me ask you this - what size/brand of pack do you recommend? I'm looking to buy a new one and don't really know where to start. I'm not looking to spend a fortune either.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

You don't want my advice about a backpack. As a day hiker, I carry a super-light nylon pack with enough pockets and room for essentials and that's it. But I think the same rule applies to packs as to bikes - the lighter it is, the more it costs, but depending on where you go and how difficult it is to get there, paying for light is a good thing. There are some hard-core hikers like the through-hikers on the AT that cut their toothbrush handle in half to cut down weight. You might like to talk to the people at Diamond Brand https://www.diamondbrand.com/commerce/ next time you're around Asheville. They're not cheap, but everybody who works there is experienced in what they sell. If you ask about packs, they'll give you good advice. If all you get from them is advice, they still don't treat you shittily. Maybe the big stores have people who know their stuff, too, but I haven't personally run into them.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:One consideration is whether you'd like to be able to zip up your shoulder straps and hip belt to essentially turn it into a suitcase for checking on a plane and then backpacking when you get to your destination. I've got one of those plus my 40 year old external frame Kelty (lifetime warranties are fantastic) for heavier loads and when I'm not flying.
Yeah true, I didn't think about that but that'd be a pretty nice feature. What size bag do you usually use? I've got a 55L pack that's ok. Seems like it's large enough. It's a cheaper pack so it's not the most comfortable.

So if you bust your pack you can mail it off to Kelty and get a free replacement?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Have any of you ever taken a canoe trip through back-water bays at the shore? I've seen people kayaking before, but haven't really seen anyone do it in a canoe. Seems kind of unsafe to me, but I guess people do it so maybe not.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:Have any of you ever taken a canoe trip through back-water bays at the shore? I've seen people kayaking before, but haven't really seen anyone do it in a canoe. Seems kind of unsafe to me, but I guess people do it so maybe not.
Can't help you. I'm a proficient 'yaker, but for me it's "kind of unsafe" to even stand beside a canoe.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:Have any of you ever taken a canoe trip through back-water bays at the shore? I've seen people kayaking before, but haven't really seen anyone do it in a canoe. Seems kind of unsafe to me, but I guess people do it so maybe not.
Can't help you. I'm a proficient 'yaker, but for me it's "kind of unsafe" to even stand beside a canoe.
You do any kayaking in back bays?

I saw some dude flip out of his kayak in one of the inlets at Hilton Head last summer.

...then he got eaten by a shark.

...a Great White Shark to be exact.

...which then battled a giant squid to the death.

Forgot my camera though on that particular day.

100% True story.
it's "kind of unsafe" to even stand beside a canoe.
For me, it's not the canoe that's a danger to me, as I'm a seasoned captain when there's at least 15 feet on either side of my ship. It's my wife in a canoe, with me at the helm. That's where we run into problems, quite literally. Last time we took a canoe trip in the pine barrens I kept running her into bushes. What is one thing men and women alike are especially terrified of? That one thing my friend is spiders. Not only was she getting thrust headfirst into bushes, but she was getting thrust headfirst into bushes full of spiders.

It's a wonder I am still alive right now.
Last edited by JTA on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:Depends on how deep the water is.
Turns out this particular body of water is not very deep. If I stop posting in about a month then it means I was wrong.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:I meant O Really's standing beside a canoe. :D

But, I guess it applies to you unless there's serious wave action. Otherwise, whatever the depth it's just water like any other. Do you ever practice capsizing, emptying, righting and getting into your canoe away from land or shallow footing?

:lol: I went canoeing in the Everglades once with a girlfriend that preferred the bow. I'd try to spot gators first so I could edge us towards them without her noticing. For some reason she didn't think it was as funny as I did when they'd take off with a tremendous splash.
I haven't practiced capsizing or anything. Last trip though I got stuck on a log and almost capsized. That would've been really bad because I would've lost all my stuff... not good.
:lol: I went canoeing in the Everglades once with a girlfriend that preferred the bow. I'd try to spot gators first so I could edge us towards them without her noticing. For some reason she didn't think it was as funny as I did when they'd take off with a tremendous splash.
That's pretty bad. I'm not sure if I'd rather be surrounded by alligators or man eating spiders like the ones we saw on our last canoe trip.

O Really
Admiral

Eskimo roll is a lot easier. Not to mention you don't lose your gear.

O Really
Admiral

Neither would I - even when I was younger and stupider. But he's probably more secure on that bike than we are on our feet.

O Really
Admiral

On a milder note, we spent a really wonderful day today hiking the AT out of Hot Springs. Cool fresh air, not a cloud in the sky, colors coming out - who could ask for a happier day?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:On a milder note, we spent a really wonderful day today hiking the AT out of Hot Springs. Cool fresh air, not a cloud in the sky, colors coming out - who could ask for a happier day?
Nice :thumbup: .

I may take a Friday off sometime this month and do some hiking myself. I've been up to Looking Glass rock like you guys suggested twice this past Spring/Summer. One of the most impressive hikes I've been on and not all that difficult. Gets crowded though if you don't get there real early.

How long is this (portion) of the AT trail you hiked, and are there good views? If it's worth the drive I might have to check it out, unless you have some other suggestions.

O Really
Admiral

There are about 60 miles of AT in Madison County. From Hot Springs, you can go either North or South. I like North, starting up a fairly steep climb from the overpass on US70 outside of town. But there are a lot - a lot - of options, in the links below.

Also, you'll want to go out to Paint Rock http://ericandnoelle.blogspot.com/2013/ ... raphs.html

http://hotspringsnc.org/play/recreation ... t-springs/

http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisg ... t-springs/

It's definitely worth the trip!

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:There are about 60 miles of AT in Madison County. From Hot Springs, you can go either North or South. I like North, starting up a fairly steep climb from the overpass on US70 outside of town. But there are a lot - a lot - of options, in the links below.

Also, you'll want to go out to Paint Rock http://ericandnoelle.blogspot.com/2013/ ... raphs.html

http://hotspringsnc.org/play/recreation ... t-springs/

http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisg ... t-springs/

It's definitely worth the trip!
Thanks man I'm definitely going to check it out. Looks like a real cool place. I've never really heard of it.

On the topic of petroglyphs, newspaper rock out in Utah is pretty cool. Vrede probably has been there I think (you've been out to canyonlands right?):

Don't know why, but I thought the modern graffiti up towards the top scrawled up there in the 1920s was pretty cool. Some guy out in the desert herding cows decided to add to it. Glad they have it fenced off though to prevent anyone else from defacing the rock.

O Really
Admiral

I haven't seen that one, but I saw some old ones outside Sedona. You get a feeling of standing in history when you look at those.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:I've seen some petroglyphs and I've been to Canyonlands Park long ago, but I didn't see Newpaper Rock or any others so wild.

Speaking of Canyonlands, the hike down to the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers then up the Colorado River a ways is magical.
Newspaper rock is in the needles district of canyonlands, which is wayyy out in the middle of nowhere. I think most people visit the Island in the Sky district. Out of all the national parks I've been to aside from maybe Death Valley, so far for me Canyonlands was one of the most impressive. Utah in general was a cool place.
Green and Colorado Rivers
When I was in Green River (a town named after the Green River which runs through it) I was checking out some local, off the beaten path, attractions. Well one of those unbeaten paths turned out to be a dried out creek bed or something, because as soon as I turned into it my car sank up to the bumper in mud:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:We avoided the Island in the Sky because the road all the way around it discouraged we non-4WD hikers.

A dream trip was always to go back to the Needles, float/swim across the Colorado and then hike in the Maze. Unlikely I'll ever do it now.

The canyon country was always my favorite to visit but too hot and dry to want to live in.
Hey man you never know, but yeah that would be a cool trip. I kinda like the heat and dryness, but I guess it'd get old like anything else, maybe not though. To move out there though, me personally, I'd miss the shore too much. I grew up close to it, ~10 minutes or so from the bay shore, and miss it like crazy living here. Even the smell of cow shit and marsh. To live out west for a little while would be cool though, maybe not permanently.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote: Up next in a couple of weeks - Western Montana, Olympia, WA and Mt. St. Helens.
Might as well do Mt. Rainier while you're out there.

O Really
Admiral

There are a lot of good dayhikes at Rainier. You don't have to summit to have a great experience. It's pretty spectacular. And when you're finished, you can go down to Pike Brewing at Pike Place and have some of my favorite "Kilt Lifter" and some Uli's brats. http://www.ulisfamoussausage.com/