The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

JTA wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:11 pm
Favorite hikes along the blue ridge parkway, close to asheville?
Flat Laurel Creek trail to Little Sam's Knob to Mountains to Sea Trail. Great loop, has everything, about 7.5 miles. Start and end in two different parking lots able a quarter mile from each other on 215. Best off parking at Mtns to Sea and go down to Flat Laurel Creek.

https://www.hikewnc.info/trails/black-b ... urel-creek
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 pm
JTA wrote:
Flat Laurel Creek trail to Little Sam's Knob to Mountains to Sea Trail. Great loop, has everything, about 7.5 miles. Start and end in two different parking lots able a quarter mile from each other on 215. Best off parking at Mtns to Sea and go down to Flat Laurel Creek.

Bad. Ass. I'm gonna check it out real soon. Gratzi!
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:10 pm
Lady O and I rode on the Katy Trail out of Rocheport, MO today.. https://mostateparks.com/park/katy-trail-state-park

High buttes overlooking the Missouri River, generally following the Lewis & Clark route.
Super cool I had no idea that even existed!

I love the Missouri River. Lots of history.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It is a fine trail. Hard-packed limestone/light stone. Smooth enough for those who ride skinny-tired bikes, and very comfortable for those of us who ride mountain bikes. Lots of places to see, scenic stop-offs, well-used but not (at least today) very crowded. A lot of it goes through open farmland, but the parts around the 179 mile marker and for at least 10 miles or so down-river are arguably the best. Right beside the river, and the topography is spectacular. Anytime you're trying to get through Missouri with minimum misery, pick a place to ride some of the Katy.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 pm
JTA wrote:

You think it's worth a hike to the Sam knob summit? Sometimes you get to the top and can't see anything. it looks like it's ~1 mile up and back. Don't know if you checked this out as well:

Map: https://www.hikewnc.info/besthikes/blac ... m/sam-knob

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Wait nevermind. It says the trail doesn't go to the summit. Hah.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Has anyone hiked Black Mountain Crest trail up at Mt Mitchell? It looks really neat.

Here's a pretty good synopsis: https://www.hikingupward.com/PNF/BlackM ... restTrail/

Been thinking about starting at Mt Mitchell, head to the Summit of Winter Star Mountian, and back. ~10 miles round trip.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

From my last hike outside the city. Go a hundred miles in any direction (and a thousand miles in some directions) and it'll look exactly the same.
IMG_6209.JPG
That's down near the border, where the ending of the Logan movie takes place. You know, where the red desert sand gives way to a snow-capped mountain range with a pass leading into Manitoba.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:44 pm
From my last hike outside the city. Go a hundred miles in any direction (and a thousand miles in some directions) and it'll look exactly the same.

IMG_6209.JPG

That's down near the border, where the ending of the Logan movie takes place. You know, where the red desert sand gives way to a snow-capped mountain range with a pass leading into Manitoba.
Flat, wide open spaces like that have their own unique charm. Mountains are nice, but sometimes the openness of the plains are nice too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

North Dakota is nice, too, except where the tree blocks the view.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:25 pm
North Dakota is nice, too, except where the tree blocks the view.
"the tree" :lol: :lol:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Yesterday I spent all day hiking the Deep Gap/Black Mountain Crest trail from Mt Mitchell to Winter star peak and back. It was rainy and cold and foggy all morning, but the clouds eventually broke and it was a beautiful day.

The hike was incredibly difficult. My knee started feeling funked up so the way back was a brutal 5 mile hobble full of pain.

Do you guys use trekking poles? I've heard they help a lot. I think my left knee doesn't pivot correctly or something, so my leg ends up hurting badly when I do a lot of descents, especially when there's a lot of "steps". Maybe a knee brace will help?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just a 6 inch Ace wrap can make a big difference, but I bought a velcro knee brace that helps. If it's really bad see an orthopedist, but mine is just an occasional twinge.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Lady O and I got trekking poles (Leki's) probably 12-15 years ago. They make a huge difference in hiking moderate to difficult trails, particularly going downhill and crossing streams. The actual effect is to change from walking with two legs, to using four, as you're also using arms for balance, propulsion, and brakes. Borrow a pair and try them out.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

I see lots of poles at Flat Rock Park, and that's easy walking. I'm told they take a lot of pressure off your back, but I can't use them because I always have a dog with me.

ETA. God forgive me- it's The Park at Flat Rock.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

O Really
Admiral

I don't know about the back, but they make a big difference in stability on shifting surfaces like light gravel, wet clay, leaves, etc. They're also good on uphill steps, where you have the additional pull-up with the arms.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:10 pm
I don't know about the back, but they make a big difference in stability on shifting surfaces like light gravel, wet clay, leaves, etc. They're also good on uphill steps, where you have the additional pull-up with the arms.
Do you recommend foldable (three pieces), or the collapsible (single piece, doesn't collapse down as small though). I was leaning towards the latter.

O Really
Admiral

We use the one-piece collapsible type. They get down to about two feet, but we rarely take them down anyway.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm not a walking stick person, but if performance is the same I would go with the shorter when collapsed type. There are too many times when I feel they're a hassle and/or want both hands free. I'd rather it be mostly out of the way when stowed in a daypack or otherwise.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, depends on where you hike and go with them. In our case we're either on a hike/walk on which we use them, or we don't take them. Not much carrying them around or packing them into a carry-on.

JTA - there is a little bit of a technique to using them to best advantage. The straps at the handle are used to support your wrist and thus engage your whole arm in the motion. You don't grip the handle very tight at all. If you try to use them solely by hand grip, you'll get tired in a hurry.