Beer Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Beer Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Since it looked like there was interest over in the Hiking Thread, maybe a beer thread would be fun.

What's for the Super Bowl? Because it's the 'Hawks, and because of having many ties in Seattle, I've got a case of Pike Kilt Lifter http://www.pikebrewing.com/beers_PikeKiltLifter.shtml, unfortunately not sold around here yet. Good stuff. I've also got some Moose Drool, also not available around here - even at Bruisin' Ales.

I like amber and dark ales, stouts, porters, belgian wheats, and seasonals with chocolate. I don't drink anything that calls itself "light" or "lite", but I do like lagers that might be considered a light taste. I'm not generally fond of IPA's, but have had enough good ones to be willing to try something new.

Ombudsman
Ensign

Re: Beer Thread

Unread post by Ombudsman »

I'm not a big fan of the Hoppy stuff. That Kilt Lifter is a good one. The head brewer of Pike showed me around his brewery once there in Seattle. It's a really nice set up for a brewer. A lot breweries are a bit boring, sort of like doing factory work, but that one is nice.

I brewed an amber a couple weeks ago. Thought it'd be ready by today but it was still fermenting a little on Friday so I probably won't keg it until tomorrow.
Wing nuts. Not just for breakfast anymore.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know much about brewing beer at home. Do you brew your own because: (1) it's better; (2) more variety and customization; (3) less expensive; (4) just fun; or some combination or something else?

Ombudsman
Ensign

I used to brew because it was better but now there's so much out there I can't make that claim. It is cheaper than other craft beer if you don't factor in the cost of the equipment. About 75c - $1.00 a pint. It's about the same price if you're making PBR style and comparing it to the cost of PBR. I mainly do it because it's fun and I can make exactly the style I like.

O Really
Admiral

So what is your favorite of what you brew?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Tonights a school night so I won't be having any beer. But when I do drink beer i go for what's cheap and tastes like piss. And what's cheap and tastes like piss is bud light. When I want to get fancy I grab a dos equis.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:Tonights a school night so I won't be having any beer. But when I do drink beer i go for what's cheap and tastes like piss. And what's cheap and tastes like piss is bud light. When I want to get fancy I grab a dos equis.
Damn, man...that's tragic.

Ombudsman
Ensign

O Really wrote:So what is your favorite of what you brew?
I've got a chocolate caramel stout that's pretty good. A couple coffee stouts, a maple porter, a watermelon wheat. Hard to narrow it down to one.

O Really
Admiral

Yum. All those sound good, especially the maple porter. Your blend, or did you find it somewhere? There are some commercial versions, but I haven't seen it around here.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Root beer ain't too bad either.

Ombudsman
Ensign

O Really wrote:Yum. All those sound good, especially the maple porter. Your blend, or did you find it somewhere? There are some commercial versions, but I haven't seen it around here.

They're all my own recipes.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by Crock Hunter »

O Really wrote:I don't know much about brewing beer at home. Do you brew your own because: (1) it's better; (2) more variety and customization; (3) less expensive; (4) just fun; or some combination or something else?
First allow me to say.. Yum...

I've been brewing since the late 70's. My Grandfather made beer and wine (some good ..some terrible) I started so that I could make styles that at the time weren't readily available in a small town. Since then the availability of first quality malts, hops, yeasts and adjunct grains has improved dramatically over the last 20 years and so one can brew incredible beers equal to most of what one can buy.

There's likely an active homebrewing group in your area. I know that there's at least 2 here in Greenville. The investment in equipment isn't bad compared to most hobbies and I was told by the owner of Grape and Grain (Greenville) that they'll be opening a "Brew Your Own" shop. A store where you can buy ingredients and use their equipment to mash, boil and ferment.

Beer isn't hard to make.. There was beer before there was bread.
`~~~:< .. Welcome to the Swamp.. .. Swim Fast..

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Crock Hunter wrote:
O Really wrote:I don't know much about brewing beer at home. Do you brew your own because: (1) it's better; (2) more variety and customization; (3) less expensive; (4) just fun; or some combination or something else?
First allow me to say.. Yum...

I've been brewing since the late 70's. My Grandfather made beer and wine (some good ..some terrible) I started so that I could make styles that at the time weren't readily available in a small town. Since then the availability of first quality malts, hops, yeasts and adjunct grains has improved dramatically over the last 20 years and so one can brew incredible beers equal to most of what one can buy.

There's likely an active homebrewing group in your area. I know that there's at least 2 here in Greenville. The investment in equipment isn't bad compared to most hobbies and I was told by the owner of Grape and Grain (Greenville) that they'll be opening a "Brew Your Own" shop. A store where you can buy ingredients and use their equipment to mash, boil and ferment.

Beer isn't hard to make.. There was beer before there was bread.
How much would you say the initial investment is to start brewing your own beer? How much space is required to set up the necessary equipment?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

JTA wrote:How much would you say the initial investment is to start brewing your own beer? How much space is required to set up the necessary equipment?
About $100 for the specialized equipment. Link... .. Homebrew club members often have extra used (read cheap) equipment. Then the ingredients for a 5 gal kit brew will cost about $30-$40 depending on style.

Plus, you'll need a pot large enough to boil 3 gallons (5 gals would be better). Intact Enameled pots are good, Stainless is preferred but Aluminum would be fine except perhaps for Lagers.

Storage? It would all fit in the bottom of a small closet.

Youtube is full of brewing vids. From basic kit brews to all grain ..

Do it.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede wrote:Beer gets you through times with no bread better than bread gets you through times with no beer.
Ah, Gilbert Shelton . . . paraphrased, that it. :lol:
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Good counterculture stuff from the 70s.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

AntiAlias
Pilot Officer

Unread post by AntiAlias »

Icehouse.

Crock Hunter
Lieutenant Colonel

AntiAlias wrote:Icehouse.
Oh MY GOD!!.. :wtf: Someone Ban him now.. . . .

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: ".......a hateful extremist like Phyllis."
:lol: :lol: :lol: Anyone who claims to be Conservative or Christian is a "hateful extremist" to you! Too funny that you should slip that into a Beer Thread! :lol:

(BTW....if they ever start serving beer in parts, any of you can have my part.)

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: "No, not everyone who claims to be Conservative or Christian is a "hateful extremist" to me. Why are you such a hateful and whiny liar?"

**Reply moved to "The Homophobic Thread**