OWS

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Re: OWS

Unread post by Stinger »

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

I would definitely vote for that woman. She's amazing, and as far as I can tell never sold out to special interests.

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

bannination wrote:I would definitely vote for that woman. She's amazing, and as far as I can tell never sold out to special interests.
I'd love to see her kick that arrogant Jeb Bush's ass.

\V/
Pilot Officer

Unread post by \V/ »

\V/
Pilot Officer

Unread post by \V/ »

Vrede wrote:\V/, re your signature:
"We Are Legion: The Story of..." This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by VHX.
Thanks Vrede!!!
That's the third time "Youtube" has taken the video down :oops:
Moving to another source, since youtube keeps censoring this video to prevent this documentary from being viewed by the public :lol:
Fixed link ;)

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Oh great. Take another high-seniority Dem out of Congress. Good plan. :roll:

O Really
Admiral

"alleged" gerrymandering is like saying "alleged" gravity.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Seemed like a good thread to post this:

15 things everyone would know if there were a liberal media

Our media went to hell the day the News Bureaus were rolled into the Entertainment divisions and the ratings whores put in charge.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

\V/
Pilot Officer

Unread post by \V/ »

O Really
Admiral

Dude - we respect your opinion. Propaganda vids, not so much.

\V/
Pilot Officer

Unread post by \V/ »

Propaganda rarely results from truth outside of the perspective of the person speaking...there was nothing but truth regarding the events that occurred, and it has been 2 years :-0?>
What do you see as propaganda???

O Really
Admiral

If my comment was taken as wanting to limit \V/'s choice in posting, I apologize. Just expressing my preference for original thought. I'm sure he's more than capable of it.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, those are like fun-facts, but I'd like to see some causation. F'rinstance, the five poorest are also among the most obese. The five poorest are also among the least-educated. They also have an above average number of teen pregnancies. They also all have really good university sports programs with a history of NCAA violations. So I guess I've found the causation: if you're fat, uneducated and poor, with a pregnant 14-year old daughter and a camo "Roll Tide" shirt, you're voting GOP. Allrighty then!

O Really
Admiral

Along the same line, what - other than racism going back to 1964 - could possibly get those people to vote for Republicans? (Relatively serious question, if anybody has a relative serious answer.)

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:Along with "racism going back to 1964", voting based on social issues contrary to one's economic interests would be one explanation. This phenomenon was described in What's the Matter with Kansas? How Conservatives Won the Heart of America. Then, there's the dogmatic belief, pushed on the gullible by corporate fat cat interests, that con policy leads to a stronger economy. Some people never learn.

As for the causation why blue states do better, it could be that blue state policy leads to a healthier economy or that successful people prefer, on average, to live in blue states. Probably a mix.
Yes, "voting based on social issues contrary to one's economic interests" works, at least to a point. But don't these people feel even the least bit foolish when they're voting for a guy or party who campaigns on cutting the benefits they are personally receiving?

O Really
Admiral

Well, those guys are a bit different. It's fun to remind people like Reality that he's never drawn a check that didn't have "US Treasury" on it, and that Nascar gets paid by the taxpayers, essentially from the same source as those receiving the dreaded "handouts," but neither of them matches the profile of the Mississippi or Alabama voter. For one thing, they both had a skill and a trade, and managed to stay employed over the course of a career. I'd guess they both went to decent schools, and have had numerous opportunities in their lives. I don't think their view that "what I get is deserved, everyone else is a parasite" would really apply in Third World AL or MS. Those people out there vote for the GOP only because they can't stand "liberals" but they have no education or context as to what a "liberal" is or why they should be against them. That part I understand. But if the choice is between some vague concept of "liberal" and the guy who says he's going to take food off your family's table, I'm pretty sure I'd take practicality over ideology. They don't, for some reason. If they'd like another chance to secede, I'd surely vote to help them.

O Really
Admiral

So much for that "anonymous" part...http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/8/48179 ... t-among-13