The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by JTA »

Fellas, I just ate my last can of Yellowfin tuna. It's on to a new source of quick and easy protein from here on out.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

How many cans a week were you eating? Don't tell us your new choice, we'll find something wrong with it. ;)
JTA wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:15 pm
loss of ..., teeth
I was wondering why they fell out!
That isn't just your desire to fit in among your fellow South Carolinians?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Life is fraught with peril. The man drinks Bud Lite (or so he says), I wouldn't worry about the effect of tuna. :lol:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Yellowfin tuna marinated over night in bud lite.

A bud lite n tuna kinda night.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

TUNA TO SALMON UPDATE

I cooked up some JTA feed, and replaced the usual canned yellowfin tuna with canned salmon.

The taste isn't quite as good. But the goal here is to simply transfer the semi edible slop from plate to stomach as quickly and seemlessly as possible.

Given that's what just happened, I'd say the switch is a resounding success.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

cancer creates wind-fall job openings, increases competition among job seekers thereby driving down those pesky wages, increases overall pension value for corporate raiders to raid, and decreases social security obligations.

add all the money that Monsanto and others make and

you have one of those win wins we hear so much about
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:02 pm
cancer creates wind-fall job openings, increases competition among job seekers thereby driving down those pesky wages, increases overall pension value for corporate raiders to raid, and decreases social security obligations.

add all the money that Monsanto and others make and

you have one of those win wins we hear so much about
My bad. :oops:

Job security for me, too.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Woman fat-shamed by bakery customers gets revenge by buying all the cupcakes

A woman fat-shamed at a bakery ended up spending $54 buying every single cupcake in the store to get back at the woman who taunted her.

Vega Blossom was waiting in line at her favorite bakery when she overheard an older woman standing behind her say “Let’s hope this fat b***h doesn’t buy all the cupcakes.”

The 19-year-old had originally planned on buying only six cupcakes, but then decided to purchase the shop’s entire stock of 20 to teach the rude onlooker a lesson....

... “Hopefully this was a lesson in treating others kindly, and maybe a lesson in karma as well,” she said....

Vega claims the clearly displeased older woman and her friend sneered at her as she made her purchase of 20 mega-sized cupcakes — each the size of three regular cupcakes.

:lol: :---P :clap:

Quick and decisive thinking for a 19-year-old. That cupcake does look really good.

"BE A BITCH. HAPPY EASTER." My new holiday motto.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol: I'll never eat pre-sliced, packaged lunch meat or cheese again. Oh wait, I don't now.

How to make a vegan mad - ask them if they swallow or if they have to spit.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

As Congress debates gutting the food stamp program -
Food for thought: Students’ test scores rise a few weeks after families get food stamps

Families receiving food stamps get their benefits once a month. A few weeks later, kids’ test scores tick up.

The pattern, revealed by a new study of thousands of North Carolina families, suggests that the additional access to healthy food helps students do better in school.

It’s the latest study to quantify how out-of-school factors affect academic performance, and an example of why some districts are embracing “community schools” that try to provide health and other benefits for students and families.

“Improving educational outcomes for low-income children may require looking beyond the school door,” write researchers Anna Gassman-Pines and Laura Bellows, both of Duke University....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Checked Out: How U.S. Supermarkets Fail to Make the Grade in Reducing Food Wast

Supermarkets have an enormous influence on the food system — from farm to fork. As the primary place where most Americans purchase food, supermarkets influence what makes it from farms to shelves, what happens to unsold food, and even how much and what types of food shoppers buy. Unfortunately, U.S. grocers focus on donating and recycling food waste, rather than preventing it — and they’re not even tracking food waste throughout their entire operations.

Without transparent tracking and reporting of the amount of food waste across their companies, supermarkets can’t be held accountable to customers, investors or themselves regarding their own goals. The fundamental first step of corporate transparency — including setting and honoring specific, time-bound commitments to food-waste reduction and public reporting on progress — is virtually nonexistent among U.S. supermarkets.

Our key findings:

Nine out of America’s 10 largest grocery companies fail to publicly report their total volume of food waste. Ahold Delhaize was the only company that publicly reported its total food-waste volume.
The four companies that earned a C grade or higher overall were the only ones with specific food-waste reduction commitments. Kroger leads the way with a commitment of zero food waste by 2025.
Four of the 10 companies have no “imperfect-produce initiatives,” which can prevent the waste of fruits and vegetables considered too “imperfect” for retail sale.
Walmart was the only company with a variety of clear in-store efforts to reduce food waste, such as improving store fixtures, standardizing date labels, and educating associates and shoppers.
All 10 of the companies have food-donation programs, with the majority operating company-wide. ALDI was the only company that did not report a food-recycling program (e.g., composting or a program to reuse unsold food as animal feed or for other industrial uses).

Recommendation:

Eliminating food waste in the grocery sector could have a ripple effect across society that could help address hunger, save money, conserve water and land, create more efficient agricultural systems, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and protect endangered species. Customers have taken notice of the massive problem of wasted food in the United States and want responsible businesses to take action.

Background

An estimated 40 percent of the food produced in the United States is wasted every year, costing households, businesses and farms about $218 billion annually . Also wasted have been the resources that went into producing that food, including 25 percent of all fresh water consumed, 13 percent of the total carbon emitted in order to produce food, and 80 million acres of farmland used in the United States . Uneaten food is also the single largest source of trash in municipal landfills, attracting wildlife and providing an unnatural and often toxic food source . It’s only by preventing food waste from the start that we can begin to address the environmental footprint and inequalities of our food system.
I mostly shop at the Co-op. I know that it composts, don't know about its other efforts but suspect that they're good. I also buy some things at Aldi :oops: , but few perishables.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:30 pm
Checked Out: How U.S. Supermarkets Fail to Make the Grade in Reducing Food Wast

Supermarkets have an enormous influence on the food system — from farm to fork. As the primary place where most Americans purchase food, supermarkets influence what makes it from farms to shelves, what happens to unsold food, and even how much and what types of food shoppers buy. Unfortunately, U.S. grocers focus on donating and recycling food waste, rather than preventing it — and they’re not even tracking food waste throughout their entire operations.

Without transparent tracking and reporting of the amount of food waste across their companies, supermarkets can’t be held accountable to customers, investors or themselves regarding their own goals. The fundamental first step of corporate transparency — including setting and honoring specific, time-bound commitments to food-waste reduction and public reporting on progress — is virtually nonexistent among U.S. supermarkets.

Our key findings:

Nine out of America’s 10 largest grocery companies fail to publicly report their total volume of food waste. Ahold Delhaize was the only company that publicly reported its total food-waste volume.
The four companies that earned a C grade or higher overall were the only ones with specific food-waste reduction commitments. Kroger leads the way with a commitment of zero food waste by 2025.
Four of the 10 companies have no “imperfect-produce initiatives,” which can prevent the waste of fruits and vegetables considered too “imperfect” for retail sale.
Walmart was the only company with a variety of clear in-store efforts to reduce food waste, such as improving store fixtures, standardizing date labels, and educating associates and shoppers.
All 10 of the companies have food-donation programs, with the majority operating company-wide. ALDI was the only company that did not report a food-recycling program (e.g., composting or a program to reuse unsold food as animal feed or for other industrial uses).

Recommendation:

Eliminating food waste in the grocery sector could have a ripple effect across society that could help address hunger, save money, conserve water and land, create more efficient agricultural systems, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and protect endangered species. Customers have taken notice of the massive problem of wasted food in the United States and want responsible businesses to take action.

Background

An estimated 40 percent of the food produced in the United States is wasted every year, costing households, businesses and farms about $218 billion annually . Also wasted have been the resources that went into producing that food, including 25 percent of all fresh water consumed, 13 percent of the total carbon emitted in order to produce food, and 80 million acres of farmland used in the United States . Uneaten food is also the single largest source of trash in municipal landfills, attracting wildlife and providing an unnatural and often toxic food source . It’s only by preventing food waste from the start that we can begin to address the environmental footprint and inequalities of our food system.
I mostly shop at the Co-op. I know that it composts, don't know about its other efforts but suspect that they're good. I also buy some things at Aldi :oops: , but few perishables.

as much as I don't like the whole big box concept, I keep seeing walmart doing some good things.

there was something I read about a year ago where they signed onto an agreement that raised the income of fruit pickers
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

found it

https://www.yahoo.com/news/wal-mart-joi ... nance.html

"Wal-Mart Stores Inc joined a program on Thursday promoted by workers' rights groups that aims to improve pay and working conditions for Florida farmworkers who pick tomatoes sold to grocery store and restaurant chains.
The world's largest retailer will participate in the Fair Food Program, an initiative started by the Coalition of Immokalee Workers, a group of farmworker activists in Florida.
The decision by Wal-Mart adds another big name to the program under which companies agree to pay pickers a penny more for every pound of fruit they harvest."

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

If anyone is still interested in canned tuna... https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... &ocid=iehp

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

BuzzFeed: Pasta Is Good For You, Say Scientists Funded By Big Pasta
The headlines were a fettuccine fanatic’s dream. “Eating Pasta Linked to Weight Loss in New Study,” Newsweek reported this month, racking up more than 22,500 Facebook likes, shares, and comments. The happy news also went viral on the Independent, the New York Daily News, and Business Insider.

What those and many other stories failed to note, however, was that three of the scientists behind the study in question had financial conflicts as tangled as a bowl of spaghetti, including ties to the world’s largest pasta company, the Barilla Group....