The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:25 pm
I don't know about all the labels, but there is absolutely a difference in fresh grown vs. packaged veggies. And we don't eat a lot of red meat, but we bought some ground beef on the Iowa-Nebraska line last summer from a local butcher shop that processed its own meat from a nearby farm. It was so different from grocery store stuff you wouldn't even recognize it as the same meat. We've bought some "farm-fresh" in places since then, but never got close to how good that fresh Nebraska beef was.
Did you listen to Joe South's song in the link? https://youtu.be/AirBbS4R7Z0

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:47 pm

Yes, although I do remember it. What I didn't know was how much other stuff he had sung/written/played on. Quite a prolific musician!

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:46 am
Leo Lyons wrote:

Yes, although I do remember it. What I didn't know was how much other stuff he had sung/written/played on. Quite a prolific musician!
:thumbsup: :thumbup:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Leo Lyons wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:53 am
O Really wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:46 am
Leo Lyons wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbup:
It's sad in a way, O Really, but progress is inevitable.
Simpler times, it seems were happier times; but as the saying goes "You can't go Home Again".
I returned to my old homeplace back in June, and even for a small community, nothing was recognizable, some of the old roadside vegetable stands were still standing though, most covered with poison oak, or hidden by overgrown weeds. One even still had the old Coca-cola box that I drank many a Coke from. aah, Memories.

Sing on, Joe South.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:41 pm

Simpler times, it seems were happier times; but as the saying goes "You can't go Home Again".
Nope, things weren't simpler, except as remembered through the eyes and mind of a child. For some people, childhood may be the happiest memory of their life, but others not so much. Anyway, here's a story of how that eyes and mind of a child can distort your memories for a long time - when I was in the second grade, I rode my bike to school. I'd leave our house and go up a long steep hill for about a mile to the school. On the way home, I'd cruise downhill. Except that I didn't. I went back to that neighborhood sometime when I was in my 40's I think, and found the "hill" was a very gentle grade, and the "mile" was about two blocks. But in the eyes of the individual, perception is reality.

O Really
Admiral

$21 for a lobster roll seems a bit steep, but then...
http://www.theclamshack.net/news/story/ ... bster-roll

Worth every cent!

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:17 am
Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:41 pm
Nope, things weren't simpler, except as remembered through the eyes and mind of a child. For some people, childhood may be the happiest memory of their life, but others not so much. Anyway, here's a story of how that eyes and mind of a child can distort your memories for a long time - when I was in the second grade, I rode my bike to school. I'd leave our house and go up a long steep hill for about a mile to the school. On the way home, I'd cruise downhill. Except that I didn't. I went back to that neighborhood sometime when I was in my 40's I think, and found the "hill" was a very gentle grade, and the "mile" was about two blocks. But in the eyes of the individual, perception is reality.
That's what I meant by "Simpler times, it seems were happier times". As a child, you were accomplishing quite a feat; as an adult, you discovered it wasn't really a feat at all; nevertheless, it was an adventure!

My point was that as a child, you had no clue as to future events, changes, personal tastes, ideas, or worries. As you grew into adulthood, it began to come apparent that "things" will never be the same again, so the mind retains memories of simpler times that will never be re-lived again ... no matter how desperately we wish or want then to be. Hence, "You can never go home again". Time marches on.

O Really
Admiral

Well sure, if you're saying life is simpler for a child, most everyone would agree. I thought you were saying life in general was simpler back in the day. If that had been your point, I would have asked how simple those who lived through the depression, the "home front" during the world wars, or worked in textiles, coal mines, or steel plants found life "back in the day."

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:35 pm
Well sure, if you're saying life is simpler for a child, most everyone would agree. I thought you were saying life in general was simpler back in the day. If that had been your point, I would have asked how simple those who lived through the depression, the "home front" during the world wars, or worked in textiles, coal mines, or steel plants found life "back in the day."
You're beginning to sound like Vrede. :shock: :lol:
If Mom & Dad were still alive, I could ask them. They ain't; therefore, I can't.

O Really
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 pm
O Really wrote:
If Mom & Dad were still alive, I could ask them. They ain't; therefore, I can't.
I'm not sure what "sound(ed) like Vrede" except for posting a thoughtful response, but thanks.

Anyway, if you had been talking about life in general being simpler, my point would have been that all ages have had their complicating factors and some of those have been far worse than what us first-worlders have now.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:18 pm
I'm not sure what "sound(ed) like Vrede" except for posting a thoughtful response, but thanks.

Anyway, if you had been talking about life in general being simpler, my point would have been that all ages have had their complicating factors and some of those have been far worse than what us first-worlders have now.
Aw shucks :oops: . Love you, too, bro'.

I've had a lot of changes in my life and have seen a lot of changes in the nation and world, but when I look back I never think about them in terms of simplicity-complexity.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:18 pm
Leo Lyons wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:07 pm
O Really wrote:
I meant by your arguing the point! :lol: :lol:
Thanks? You took that as a compliment? What else was in that last smoke you had?

I knew what you meant; I just didn't comment any further; the subject's dead now.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:30 pm
Aw shucks :oops: . Love you, too, bro'.
Watch it! That's something Mr. B. would say! Y'all must be thinkin' of each other... ;)

I've had a lot of changes in my life and have seen a lot of changes in the nation and world, but when I look back I never think about them in terms of simplicity-complexity.
It's too bad some of O Really couldn't rub off on you; you never think of anything or anybody except your self. Pitiful.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Water Pollution From Slaughterhouses

The Environmental Integrity Project’s new report, “Water Pollution from Slaughterhouses,” finds that three quarters of large U.S. meat processing plants that discharge their wastewater directly into streams and rivers violated their pollution control permits over the last two years, with some dumping as much nitrogen pollution as small cities – and facing little or no enforcement.

These slaughterhouses are owned by wealthy international companies, and they are contaminating waterways with bacteria, pathogens, nutrients, and other oxygen-depleting substances in rural, often lower-income, minority communities. EIP’s research found that many of the plants that are not violating their permits are actually discharging more pollution than those breaking the law. In such cases, EPA and state agencies are setting permit limits that allow the discharge of far too many toxins. The report lists the worst polluters and makes recommendations on how state and federal governments can do more to reduce this water pollution.

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Hey! We're eatin' lunch here.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:32 pm
Hey! We're eatin' lunch here.
:D Where are you and what are you having?
pg. 3, Table A. Plants that Discharged the Most Nitrogen Pollution (2017 average)

2. Smithfield Tarheel Plant (Tarheel, NC), Pork, Cape Fear River

6. Valley Proteins Processing Plant (Lewiston Woodville, NC), Rendering Plant, Roanoke River

pg. 4, Florida and Illinois: ...

pg. 13, Table 3. Plants that Discharge the Most Nitrogen Pollution to Impaired Waterways in Need of Cleanup Plans

1. Smithfield (Tarheel, NC), Cape Fear River (Chlorophyll)

3. Tyson (Blountsville, AL),Graves Creek (Oxygen-demanding substances)

8. Golden Rod Broilers (Cullman, AL), Brindley and Eight mile Creeks (Oxygen-demanding substances)
9. Pilgrim’s Pride (Sanford, NC), Deep River (Benthos, copper)

pg. 14, Table 4. Meat Processing Plants with the Most Effluent Violations, January 1 2016 - June 30, 2018

8. Pilgrim’s Pride Live Oak Processing Plant (Live Oak, FL) Poultry

pg. 18, Table 5. Clean Water Act Violations, January 1, 2016 - June 30, 2018

7. Golden Rod Broilers (Cullman, AL), Ammonia, Bacteria, BOD, Oil and Grease, Suspended Solids, Total Nitrogen, Toxicity

16. Pilgrim's Pride - Enterprise Processing Plant (Enterprise, AL), Ammonia, BOD, Oil & Grease, Suspended Solids

18. Pride Processing Plant (Live Oak, FL), Ammonia, BOD, Dissolved Oxygen, Oil & Grease, Specific Ponductance, pH, TKN, Total Nitrogen, Toxicity

pg 26, Florida: Multinational Meat Company Sued for Polluting Local Waterway ...
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Ewww - actually we went past that Pilgrim's Pride plant near Live Oak on the way out to Suwanee River State Park.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Chinese-owned company qualifies for Trump’s anti-China farm bailout

A Chinese-owned pork producer is eligible for federal payments under President Trump’s $12 billion farm bailout, a program that was established to help U.S. farmers hurt by Trump’s trade war with China.

Smithfield Foods, a Virginia-based pork producer acquired in 2013 by a Chinese conglomerate now named WH Group, can apply for federal money under the bailout program created this summer, said Agriculture Department spokesman Carl E. Purvis.

JBS, a subsidiary of a Brazilian company by the same name, is also eligible to apply for the federal money. The two companies are the biggest pork producers in the United States, according to the National Pork Board, a quasi-government agency.

The USDA said in August that, as part of a broader bailout, it would buy $1.2 billion of surplus food from farmers for distribution to food banks across the country, including about $560 million in pork purchases. The administration has billed the plan as an effort to shield farmers from retaliatory tariffs from China.

But the possibility of money flowing to foreign-owned businesses underscores the difficulty of trying to craft government programs that benefit only domestic firms. The international reach of companies makes it hard to ensure that federal dollars stay in U.S. hands, regardless of their intended target.

The bailout program has also angered smaller hog producers, who expressed frustration that it appears likely to help large, international farms that already dominate the U.S. pork market....
:wtf:
1312. ETTD.