The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:20 am
I eaten oysters right out of the water.

Yeah, me too. And also on the half-shell in restaurants and out of a bag of them from the seafood market. My question from the article is, how long can an oyster live once it's out of the water? If you order up a plate of half-shells at the bar, they pull them out of ice, crack them and serve them. The oysters would have been out of water and in the ice (at a minimum) since the morning and likely more. They can really live that long? If not, according to the wisdom of the article writer, everybody who eats half-shells is doomed.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:44 am
Yeah, me too. And also on the half-shell in restaurants and out of a bag of them from the seafood market. My question from the article is, how long can an oyster live once it's out of the water? If you order up a plate of half-shells at the bar, they pull them out of ice, crack them and serve them. The oysters would have been out of water and in the ice (at a minimum) since the morning and likely more. They can really live that long? If not, according to the wisdom of the article writer, everybody who eats half-shells is doomed.
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:16 pm
... I'm no expert.

Oyster: As food
Selection, preparation and storage

Unlike most shellfish, oysters can have a fairly long shelf life of up to four weeks. However, their taste becomes less pleasant as they age. Oysters should be refrigerated out of water, not frozen, and in 100% humidity. Oysters stored in water under refrigeration will open, consume available oxygen, and die....
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I think, but don't know, that when the shell loosens, even a little, the oyster is dead. We always either toss those or add stuff and bake.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:57 am
O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:16 pm
... I'm no expert.

Oyster: As food
Selection, preparation and storage

Unlike most shellfish, oysters can have a fairly long shelf life of up to four weeks. However, their taste becomes less pleasant as they age. Oysters should be refrigerated out of water, not frozen, and in 100% humidity. Oysters stored in water under refrigeration will open, consume available oxygen, and die....

You are talking about the shucked and in a container type oysters. Those aren't good for eating raw. They do cook up okay.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:17 am
You are talking about the shucked and in a container type oysters. Those aren't good for eating raw. They do cook up okay.
I'm just quoting so I can't debate the matter, but the Wiki article is clearly talking about un-shucked, still living, refrigerated oysters.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:

Crawfish are a different matter....

Shrimp should be boiled whole....
If I'm ever in your area I'll probably pass on trying the local milk shake flavors and pizza toppings.

O Really
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 am

If I'm ever in your area I'll probably pass on trying the local milk shake flavors and pizza toppings.
Says he who may eat putrid milk on french fries. :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:43 am
rstrong wrote:

My very set in everything mil, now deceased, spent hours saying that she hated grits, but would give my shrimp grips a try, but would still hate them. She continued throughout the meal going on and on about how grits aren't good. She said this all while cleaning her plate and even after she got a bowl and went back for seconds.

She also hated tuna, but eats steak rare. Soaked the tuna in Dales, grilled about thirty seconds per side and told her it was steak. She did love that beefsteak.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:43 am
rstrong wrote:

17 (actually 16 -0-? ) Canadian Foods That Will Make You Say “WTF"

I've had and liked #s 6, 7 & 14.
I've had and liked things similar to some of the others.
I've no interest in #s 5 & 16.
I would try all of the others and probably like most of them.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:05 pm
I've had and liked #s 6, 7 & 14.
I've had and liked things similar to some of the others.
I've no interest in #s 5 & 16.
I would try all of the others and probably like most of them.
1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15 - I've honestly never heard of those.

7. Toutons - I've never heard that name. But it appears to be another name for bannock, which is wonderful.

8. Lay's Cinnamon Bun Chips - That's not American?

13. Tourtière, 14. Pickerel cheeks - Never occurred to me that anyone grew up without those.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 pm

No stuffed potato dumplings in your life? Sad.

Pate.

3, 4,

Pork rind, Chicharrón.

9, 10, 11, 12,

Iced cake doughnuts.

15 - I've honestly never heard of those.

I saw that some were far eastern Canada and others Quebec. You know how those French are. I didn't find suitable articles when I searched "weird winnipeg food" and "weird manitoba food".

7. Toutons - I've never heard that name. But it appears to be another name for bannock, which is wonderful.

Mmmmm, fry bread.

8. Lay's Cinnamon Bun Chips - That's not American?

Apparently not.
REVIEW: Lay’s Cinnamon Bun Potato Chips (Canada)
I've never seen nor heard about them.

13. Tourtière,

We have other names for meat pies, there are scores of versions.

14. Pickerel cheeks - Never occurred to me that anyone grew up without those.
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Grouper and snapper cheeks are high dollar around here - same with throats.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:57 am

She also hated tuna, but eats steak rare. Soaked the tuna in Dales, grilled about thirty seconds per side and told her it was steak. She did love that beefsteak.
I do love me some grilled tuna, but I have a hard time believing anybody would really believe it was steak. Or if they really can't tell the difference in steak and tuna, you might as well serve them Spam.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:15 pm
... I have a hard time believing ...
You think it's a 'fish story'? :wave:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Smells fishy to me, but then I never met his MIL.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:55 pm
Smells fishy to me, but then I never met his MIL.
She was a weird one. She was one of those who would sit in the back seat and say turn that way, but gave no other hint to direction - no pointing, nothing. I would ask, which way is that way and she would continue saying that way louder and louder until she changed and began to criticize me for missing the turn.
She used many made up words and expressions that only the family understood. It took me more than several visits to understand. Who would have thought that , "Let's go inside", meant to change rooms, but the kids even seemed to know which room to go to. I would just hang back and follow.

But I did enjoy serving southern food that this new York city woman talked about hating so much.

btw - take a fresh bluefin tuna steak (not from a grocery store) a little over an inch thick, drench with dales, let it sit about five minutes, add plenty of white pepper and put on really hot grill or skillet for about 30 seconds per side.

It's better raw, but variety is cool. A local place does something like this.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tun ... pe-2011805

O Really
Admiral

Oh, I guess you mean dale's .. http://www.dalesseasoning.com/

I thought at first you meant Dale's .. https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oskar-blu ... ale/11576/

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:24 am
Oh, I guess you mean dale's .. http://www.dalesseasoning.com/

I thought at first you meant Dale's .. https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oskar-blu ... ale/11576/
Might have to try tuna marinated in beer.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:34 am
Might have to try tuna marinated in beer.
Still can't imagine it as a milk shake flavor or pizza topping.

O Really
Admiral

Tuna is really a pretty common pizza topping. Would you prefer anchovies?
https://www.google.com/search?q=tuna+pi ... e&ie=UTF-8