The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:00 pm
Don't y'all have any small stores that stock fresh Carolina seafood? ...
I'm about 400 miles from the coast, might as well be in Iowa. We had the Blue Water Seafood Restaurant and Market, but it closed. I never visited. The Co-op has a decent selection.

Our seafood department offers a great selection of fresh seafood that is responsibly sourced. We love to feature fresh seafood from the Carolina Coast such as Tuna, Mackerel, Snapper, Bass, Pompano, Shrimp and more depending on the season. We also have some wonderful Local rainbow trout that is raised in Canton, NC at Sunburst Trout Farm.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:01 pm
All in the attitude, I guess. We always bring our bags, and will go through a self-service line if available, but I think selling bags is as crappy as the quarter carts.
They're quarter deposit carts! :ateeth: :D

I always bring cloth totes (along with smaller plastic and paper bags for produce at the Co-op), and don't mind doing my own bagging. It makes the lines faster for everyone to not have to wait for those in front to get bagged. What Aldi sells here are plastic totes (maybe cloth ones, too, idk). I haven't tried one and don't know the cost, but they look like they'd be good for more than one trip, maybe lots more. I'm all for any strategies that limit throwaway bags.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:43 pm
O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:01 pm
All in the attitude, I guess. We always bring our bags, and will go through a self-service line if available, but I think selling bags is as crappy as the quarter carts.

Wha-tever :roll:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

O Really wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:43 pm
Wha-tever :roll:
Oh Hell!! You're walking on thin ice now! You're one nth away from going into the uber-bin!
Tread lightly, my friend....and carry a big-ass stick!!

O Really
Admiral

I like a bargain as well as anyone else, but I've found that selection of a grocery is more than just advertised prices. What I consider isn't whether store A charges less for a given item than store B, but whether each store has and what it charges for items I actually buy. Lady O and I eat pretty clean - some might say obsessively so - and it matters not what a store sells its sugar cereal, chips, frozen dinners, and Wonder bread for, because we're not buying it. Some stores have store brands that are very good - others not so much. And we wouldn't be saving much by driving all over town to buy up the sales items. What seems to work best is to take your list of items you shop for and compare each store by what you'd actually buy there and whether or not the items are usually available. Then we consider the other parts of shopping. For example, I've never been in a Winn-Dixie that wasn't totally freezing and had surly checkers. (OK, so maybe not 100% of the checkers are surly, but every store has some surly ones).

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:16 am
I like a bargain as well as anyone else, but I've found that selection of a grocery is more than just advertised prices. What I consider isn't whether store A charges less for a given item than store B, but whether each store has and what it charges for items I actually buy. Lady O and I eat pretty clean - some might say obsessively so - and it matters not what a store sells its sugar cereal, chips, frozen dinners, and Wonder bread for, because we're not buying it. Some stores have store brands that are very good - others not so much. And we wouldn't be saving much by driving all over town to buy up the sales items. What seems to work best is to take your list of items you shop for and compare each store by what you'd actually buy there and whether or not the items are usually available. Then we consider the other parts of shopping. For example, I've never been in a Winn-Dixie that wasn't totally freezing and had surly checkers. (OK, so maybe not 100% of the checkers are surly, but every store has some surly ones).
Aldi may not be for you. Other than the cart "rental" thing and cleanliness at least here in Hooterville, I've agreed with all of your criticisms - Leo Lyons must be having one of his poor comprehension days (I looked to see whether you were responding to his post). Aldi works for me because I have the Co-op, not sure if I'd bother for the savings if I didn't. At the least, I would need to also go to a standard grocery for some things every time I shopped.

The things I get are few enough that I can't really speak to comparative quality. I don't think that Aldi just stocks crap like Sav-Mor, but it might.

Thanks, I've always wanted Dixie to lose, anyhow. :D
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Back to the original topic of fish, I wonder why Aldi scored so high and Trader Joe's was so low, considering they are corporately related.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:51 pm
Back to the original topic of fish, I wonder why Aldi scored so high and Trader Joe's was so low, considering they are corporately related.
Don't know about the scores, but trader Joes fish is consistently awesome. I've had tuna,swordfish, salmon, cod, and others.
Vacuum sealed and flash frozen it is almost as good as fresh to me. A clerk told me that it is processed and packaged on the boat FWIW.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:02 pm
O Really wrote:
Don't know about the scores, but trader Joes fish is consistently awesome. I've had tuna,swordfish, salmon, cod, and others.
Vacuum sealed and flash frozen it is almost as good as fresh to me. A clerk told me that it is processed and packaged on the boat FWIW.
And chased with a bottle of "Two Buck Chuck"? ;)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:
2018 Supermarket Seafood Ranking

At a glance -

#3 Aldi: Strong sustainable seafood policy and social/worker standards; More proactive; Much better labeling; Limited variety = fewer chances to get in trouble.

#14 Trader Joe's: No formal, public policy; Weak social/worker standards; Poor transparency.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:31 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
O Really wrote:
And chased with a bottle of "Two Buck Chuck"? ;)
I'm not quite that brave. It's supposed to be palatable but I'll wait until someone I know who has decent taste in wine gives it a 👍.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:13 pm

I'm not quite that brave. It's supposed to be palatable but I'll wait until someone I know who has decent taste in wine gives it a 👍.
OK, here ya' go. :thumbup:
https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/ ... ist-nation#

White better than red, but I think it's a decent table wine.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:16 am
https://www.eatthis.com/aldi/
I occasionally buy fruit at Aldi if I'm in between trips to the Co-op. It's tasty, they almost always have organic and it lasts more than a couple of days. I agree with the rest of what I know, but most of the items featured I've never bought there.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Sounds like Aldi might be the Big Lots or Tuesday Morning of grocery stores. You can get good stuff/prices there, but maybe it's not always there when you want it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:24 am
Sounds like Aldi might be the Big Lots or Tuesday Morning of grocery stores. You can get good stuff/prices there, but maybe it's not always there when you want it.
To be fair, I think it was just one time that they were out of organic pears, but not non-organic, and they had the organic bananas. Everything else I might want is always there or is never there.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

"Organic" ---
"Gluten Free" ---
"All Natural" ---
"Free Range" ---
"Grain Fed" ---
"etc"---

I can't help but laugh when I hear people demand their foods be one of the above. Hey; I've got a secret to tell you:
Guess what? You're still going to die!!! :lol: :lol:

"What are the benefits of organic bananas?"
Bananas are rich in vitamin B6 and are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium.
Vitamin B6 helps prevent irritability ( :shock: ) and insomnia.

Give 'em up Vrede, they ain't working!!
Last edited by Leo Lyons on Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

O Really
Admiral

We eat a lot of bananas. We've tried organic bananas occasionally, but really can't tell any difference except they tend to be smaller and cost a quarter or so a pound more.

We bought corn, tomatoes, beets, carrots, and cheese from a farm stand this afternoon that was all raised within sight of the stand and about a mile from where we're staying. They hauled a cart of corn out of the field and we selected right out of the cart, still warm from the sun. The cheese wasn't actually from that farm, though. It was from another farm about 5 miles away. Sharp Vermont cheddar. We told the guy we'll probably be back again during the week. Said if he happened not to be there, he runs on honor system - just leave the money in the box. :clap:

Leo Lyons
Ensign

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:46 pm
We eat a lot of bananas. We've tried organic bananas occasionally, but really can't tell any difference except they tend to be smaller and cost a quarter or so a pound more.
Another good point. I can raise a crop of runty-looking tomatoes and easily pass them off as "organic" tomatoes, and no one would be the wiser. BTW; Google "all natural" and read the results. Hilarious how people are getting duped.

A meme I saw not long ago stated something like how bread has been made in so many forms for centuries, and now we have a generation demanding "gluten-free". Must be something in the water.

We bought corn, tomatoes, beets, carrots, and cheese from a farm stand this afternoon that was all raised within sight of the stand and about a mile from where we're staying. They hauled a cart of corn out of the field and we selected right out of the cart, still warm from the sun. The cheese wasn't actually from that farm, though. It was from another farm about 5 miles away. Sharp Vermont cheddar. We told the guy we'll probably be back again during the week. Said if he happened not to be there, he runs on honor system - just leave the money in the box. :clap:
Occasionally I enjoy a drive well away from the hustle and bustle of this gigantic madhouse and get out into the countryside where I know I will find a roadside stand where I can stop and indulge in the joys of farm fresh pickings, and a big chunk of salted Amish butter! I don't haggle over prices; I pay what they're asking, and generally tell them to keep the change. Once in a great while, I'll see an old mailbox for their "honor system" for after hours purchases. With all the hate, political bulls*hit, muck-raking, back-stabbing, drugs, cop-shootings, talk of building walls, etc., it's an excellent opportunity to tell all that to go to hell and think back to more pleasant and relaxed times.
Makes me think of this song.

O Really
Admiral

I don't know about all the labels, but there is absolutely a difference in fresh grown vs. packaged veggies. And we don't eat a lot of red meat, but we bought some ground beef on the Iowa-Nebraska line last summer from a local butcher shop that processed its own meat from a nearby farm. It was so different from grocery store stuff you wouldn't even recognize it as the same meat. We've bought some "farm-fresh" in places since then, but never got close to how good that fresh Nebraska beef was.