The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by JTA »

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Did you just ruin a pizza?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

That's just gross, man... http://www.eater.com/2017/4/13/15271824 ... eeps-pizza

"While the Peepza was almost certainly born into existence due to its delightful portmanteau possibilities, rather than a desire to actually make a tasty dish, that hasn’t stopped plenty of poor souls from actually trying it."

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Behold

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

That looks like a stoner snack, as does the peepza.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

(63) Munchies for 4/20

Weed-Infused Girl Scout Cookies & More Recipes To Satisfy Your 4/20 Munchies

8 Munchie Recipes to Get You Through 4/20

Best 420 Recipes

All nice . . . if you don't get stuck reading the same line over and over.

DO NOT try Peepza on LSD, it's not pretty.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:Protect communities near hog farms! (NC petition)

Private profits, socialized harm, as usual.
... Listed below are the major players in the production of pork products in N.C.

• Smithfield Foods was established in 1936
• Eckrich Farms was established in 1894 **
• Swift & Sons was established in 1855 **
• Gwaltney of Smithfield and John Morrell brands were trademark brand names owned
by Smithfield Foods.
• Premium Standard Farms of N.C. was established in 1988
• ** Eckrich Farms and Smith & Sons were subsequently purchased by
Smithfield Farms itself was purchased by a Chinese firm.

My point is, this "socialized harm" was well established long before many of these neighborhoods were even being dreamed of, or the smell of hog waste became an issue with the whiners. People who bought these homes had to know what they were getting into....
Stupid and cruel argument in defense of foreign owned Big Ag's assault on North Carolinians.
North Carolina is Latest in State CAFO Battles

The number of livestock farms converting to densely populated concentrated animal feeding operations (CAFOs) has grown in recent decades....
Saying that a 19th Century hog farm is the same as a modern CAFO is like saying that an abacus is the same as a modern computer. However, the 18th Century does have some relevance:
But one opponent after another, both Democrat and Republican, argued against curbing state residents’ property rights, protections with legal roots that predate the Declaration of Independence.
Some corporate lapdogs detest private property rights.
Vrede too wrote:The corporate welfare bill for Smithfield Foods, etc. doesn't "list any particular communities," either, so the petition against it doesn't need to, duh.

If affected communities in some cases are younger than the farms and the farms haven't grown in their impact since the affected communities arrived, an excuse you're just making up as usual, it's for a jury to decide if that mitigates the health and nuisance claims. The NC GOP should not be creating blanket exemptions from reasonable compensation. No doubt you would throw a fit if there was a toxic spill near your home - the road/rail were there first, right? - and then discovered that the NC GOP had limited just compensation to you....
Some Republicans get it:
“It really is not the responsibility, in my view, of this legislature to take away those property rights, one, and secondly to immerse itself in an existing lawsuit,” said Rep. Hugh Blackwell (R-Morganton). “It is encouragement for well heeled defendants or plaintiffs to decide they will bring all heavily disputed claims to the legislature.”

“Let the courts decide,” he argued....
Other North Carolinians prefer sucking up to the Chinese.
Vrede too wrote:... I'm fine with consumer cost increases to cover and reduce the real world impacts of corporate activities. I believe in paying my way. Otherwise, your bacon is being subsidized by a reduced quality of life for usually poor, usually black, folks, slacker.
As I said:
In January, the civil rights division of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency dispatched a letter of concern to the state Department of Environmental Quality citing possible discrimination against minority and poor residents near CAFOs in eastern North Carolina. The letter said the state’s permitting system for hog CAFOs may not adequately take into account how the farms negatively affect black, Latino and American Indian neighbors....
Some North Carolinians don't care as long as the victims are nonwhite.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

TELL RETAILERS: SAY NO TO CHLORPYRIFOS!

In one of his first major decisions as Environmental Protection Agency administrator, Scott Pruitt moved to abort the agency’s proposed ban of chlorpyrifos – an insecticide that at even small doses can harm children’s brains and nervous systems – from use on food crops.

Pruitt and the Trump administration’s decision ignored overwhelming evidence that small amounts of chlorpyrifos can damage parts of the brain that control language, memory, behavior and emotion. But it’s not too late for retailers to do the right thing.

That’s why we’re calling on top grocery retailers – including Safeway, Kroger, Publix and others – to say NO to chlorpyrifos by refusing to carry produce items that have been sprayed with the toxic pesticide....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Fowl Matters
Public Health, Environmental Justice, and Civic Action around the Broiler Chicken Industry

"The 21st-century chicken industry has sacrificed the environment, climate, human health, workers, growers, animals, and more. Poultry operations generate 300 million tons of waste annually, and the effects on neighbors and consumers are not reflected in the price of a conventional chicken breast."

Private profit, socialized harm.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A big win for poultry workers!

Pressure Perdue to improve conditions for poultry workers

Of course, there will always be some slackers that want their meats to be subsidized by the health and safety of others.
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Honey, what's for dinner?

Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Legislators Retreat from Active CAFO Lawsuit Attack

State legislators appear to have abandoned a drive to restrict court awards potentially available to some 500 Eastern North Carolina residents suing the world’s largest pork producer over farm odors and other alleged nuisances.

:thumbup:

Republican members of a Senate committee endorsed a bill Tuesday that would limit compensation in future such cases only to losses in the rental or purchase value of a dwelling....

:thumbdown:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Who says that petitions don't work?
https://twitter.com/NC_Governor
Governor Roy Cooper‏
Verified account @NC_Governor 8 hours ago

Governor Roy Cooper has vetoed House Bill 467

:clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Court Documents: DNA Samples Indicate That N.C. Hog Farms Sprayed Pig Feces on Neighbors’ Homes

During a debate last month over House Bill 467—which contained a failed provision to shield hog farms owned by a subsidiary of Smithfield Foods from twenty-six federal nuisance lawsuits brought by their neighbors—state Representative Jimmy Dixon, R-Duplin and Wayne, called claims that hog waste was ending up on people's homes preposterous.

"These allegations are at best exaggerations and at worst outright lies," said Dixon, who has received more than $115,000 in campaign contributions from Big Pork. "When you talk about spraying fluid on people's houses and people's cars, that does not exist."

New evidence filed in federal court Friday, however, suggests that's exactly what happens....
Opps, a well compensated GOP polluter defender got busted lying, again.

Senate overrides Gov. Roy Cooper’s veto on hog nuisance bill

:( :cussing:
To: "(Rep. Chuck McGrady)" <mcgradyla@ncleg.net>, chuck.edwards@ncleg

Re:
HB 467, Agriculture and Forestry Nuisance Remedies.
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascripts/v ... =H&RCS=488

When pigs fly: Hog nuisance bill clears first hurdle toward full override
http://pulse.ncpolicywatch.org/2017/05/ ... u4ZtM.dpuf

Court Documents: DNA Samples Indicate That N.C. Hog Farms Sprayed Pig Feces on Neighbors’ Homes
http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/court- ... ign=buffer

Dear Rep. Chuck McGrady,

It's no surprise at all that Sen. Edwards chose polluters and Chinese pigs over the health, safety and property rights of North Carolinians, but it's utterly shameful that you, a FORMER environmentalist and defender of property rights, switched your vote. Oink.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yo JTA - careful with that gas station food... https://www.yahoo.com/news/woman-spends ... 15637.html

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

QT sells egg rolls that will get you feeling pretty terrible. But they're good when you're on a diet because they go right through you. So when Im craving shitty gas station food I stick with them.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Ever tried convenience store/gas station sushi? Stopped at some little shit hole place way out in the sticks between Columbia and Florence, just off I20 a couple of years ago. Kinda place that sells tube socks and silver spray paint. Right there in a cooler beside the roller dogs and day-old fried chicken were some little styro trays of something vaguely sushi-like. We didn't try it. Call us wussies.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Boatrocker wrote: little styro trays of something vaguely sushi-like. We didn't try it. Call us wussies.
I think that was bait.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Boatrocker wrote: little styro trays of something vaguely sushi-like. We didn't try it. Call us wussies.
I think that was bait.
:lol:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Boatrocker wrote:Ever tried convenience store/gas station sushi? Stopped at some little shit hole place way out in the sticks between Columbia and Florence, just off I20 a couple of years ago. Kinda place that sells tube socks and silver spray paint. Right there in a cooler beside the roller dogs and day-old fried chicken were some little styro trays of something vaguely sushi-like. We didn't try it. Call us wussies.
I never eat sushi unless I know that the tuna came from the Gulf or off the fla coast. Radioactive pacific tuna and any fish from the Vietnam / China areas scare me.

I miss the open box of smoked mullet at the checkout in the convenience stores.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”