The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 am
Tuna is really a pretty common pizza topping. Would you prefer anchovies?
https://www.google.com/search?q=tuna+pi ... e&ie=UTF-8
Nobody better be putting no kinda tuna fish on my pizza.

Who would put canned tuna on anything?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Yeah, and nobody better be putting any kind of pizza under my tuna, either.
Not that I consider it real tuna, but keep some cans around for a good protein addition to lunch. Egg, tuna, avocado (or guac) in a mix on a piece of good bread and you've got a quick hi-protein lunch.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:00 am
Yeah, and nobody better be putting any kind of pizza under my tuna, either.
Not that I consider it real tuna, but keep some cans around for a good protein addition to lunch. Egg, tuna, avocado (or guac) in a mix on a piece of good bread and you've got a quick hi-protein lunch.
I probably eat too much tuna. I am lucky being able to buy right out of the water caught with rod and reel.

We usually have the smoker going about once a week and I throw enough on for various tuna salads during the week. Super fresh raw will always be the best.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

I don't understand the words "too much" and "tuna" in the same sentence.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 pm
Tuna: Mercury levels
Tuna: Management and conservation

... In 2010, Greenpeace International added the albacore, bigeye tuna, Pacific bluefin tuna, Atlantic bluefin tuna, southern bluefin tuna, and yellowfin tuna to its seafood red list, which are fish "commonly sold in supermarkets around the world, and which have a very high risk of being sourced from unsustainable fisheries."

Bluefin tuna have been widely accepted as being severely overfished, with some stocks at risk of collapse. According to the International Seafood Sustainability Foundation (a global, nonprofit partnership between the tuna industry, scientists, and the World Wide Fund for Nature), Indian Ocean yellowfin tuna, Pacific Ocean (eastern and western) bigeye tuna, and North Atlantic albacore tuna are all overfished. In April 2009, no stock of skipjack tuna (which makes up roughly 60% of all tuna fished worldwide) was considered to be overfished. However, the BBC documentary South Pacific, which first aired in May 2009, stated that, should fishing in the Pacific continue at its current rate, populations of all tuna species could collapse within five years. It highlighted huge Japanese and European tuna fishing vessels, sent to the South Pacific international waters after overfishing their own fish stocks to the point of collapse.

A 2010 tuna fishery assessment report, released in January 2012 by the Secretariat of the Pacific Community, supported this finding, recommending that all tuna fishing should be reduced or limited to current levels and that limits on skipjack fishing be considered.

Research indicates that increasing ocean temperatures are taking a toll on the tuna in the Indian Ocean, where rapid warming of the ocean has resulted in a reduction of marine phytoplankton. The bigeye tuna catch rates have also declined abruptly during the past half century, mostly due to increased industrial fisheries, with the ocean warming adding further stress to the fish species.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:43 pm
And I keep reading about high radiation levels in Pacific tuna.

And nets kill turtles, dolphins and ...
Most of the canned stuff is albacore and skipjack - doesn't even taste the same

http://www.cannedtuna.com/sustainable-t ... re-caught/

I know enough sources that I can usually get bluefin caught today or yesterday on a rod and reel. I used to know a guy who ran a couple of long line boats. I never went out, but he said they didn't catch turtles and dolphins.

Instead of canned: cut into cubes about 1.5 inches to a side, smoke over hickory at about 150 for 30 to 60 minutes. Keeps in the fridge for days and is way better than canned.

"fishing uses a huge net that is hauled by a large factory ship.  When a school of tuna is located smaller ships help deploy the giant net from the main ship in a circular pattern around the tuna.  Once the tuna are encircled with the net the main ship retrieves the fishing net and a rope named a purse line is pulled in through net rings.  This tightens the net, closes the bottom and catches the fish at which point the net is pulled back onto the boat and the tuna fish and bycatch are unloaded.  This type of fishing is quite indiscriminate and any other fish surrounding the tuna are also caught and typically thrown overboard as bycatch.  Previously this resulted in the deaths of many dolphins as the fisherman used the dolphins to find the tuna then surrounded the tuna school with the purse net.  However with the advent of FAD’s (fish aggregation devices) many other species of marine life are now caught in these nets.  This includes turtles, sharks, large predator fish and even young tuna that are too small to keep.  Tuna purse seine fishing and FAD’s have become a major problem and it is recommended to avoid tuna caught this way as it is generally thought to be a highly unsustainable tuna fishing method."

O Really
Admiral

Well aren't you two a couple of spoilsports. Tonight we're grilling salmon. Over the weekend, we'll be picking up some mahi off the boat. Everybody's going to die from something. Might as well be from fish well chased with good wine.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Canned yellowfin tuna in olive oil is one of my Staples.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:47 pm
Canned yellowfin tuna in olive oil is one of my Staples.
Opps.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:01 pm
... In 2007 it was reported that some canned light tuna such as yellowfin tuna is significantly higher in mercury than skipjack, and caused Consumers Union and other activist groups to advise pregnant women to refrain from consuming canned tuna....

URGENT: Help pigs on National Pig Day (3/1) by saying NO to high-speed slaughter!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Be careful you don't get pregnant, JTA!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:14 am
Be careful you don't get pregnant, JTA!
Funny, but he's young enough that cumulative mercury ingestion can have negative effects on him, too. Probably best to select other tunas or other canned fishes.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:01 pm
One of the claims by the anti-vaxxers is that vaccines used to contain a mercury-based preservative called thimerosal. But one dose of vaccine contained about 5 micrograms of mercury, while a tuna sandwich contains about 25 micrograms of mercury. All the innoculations a kid would get while growing up would add up to less mercury than a single tuna sandwich.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 am
One of the claims by the anti-vaxxers is that vaccines used to contain a mercury-based preservative called thimerosal. But one dose of vaccine contained about 5 micrograms of mercury, while a tuna sandwich contains about 25 micrograms of mercury. All the innoculations a kid would get while growing up would add up to less mercury than a single tuna sandwich.
Agreed, assuming your numbers are correct. Just to clarify, not all vaccines contain or ever contained mercury. Obviously, kids get more than 5 shots while growing up.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 am
Just to clarify, not all vaccines contain or ever contained mercury. Obviously, kids get more than 5 shots while growing up.
I only recall ever getting one inoculation in school, but almost certainly had more as a baby. Dunno if it was as many as five. Things are probably different today.

Mercury was largely removed from routine infant vaccines by summer 2001. So if the vaxxers were right, few if any under age 17 should have autism.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:03 pm
I only recall ever getting one inoculation in school, but almost certainly had more as a baby. Dunno if it was as many as five.

That many or more, even then.
DTP - 3
MMR - 2
Polio - 4 (though maybe not shots)

Things are probably different today....

Even more.

Recommended Immunization Schedule for Children and Adolescents Aged 18 Years or Younger, United States, 2018

Some parents are overwhelmed by the sheer number, even if they're not true wingnuts. I don't agree with them, but I understand.

Mercury was largely removed from routine infant vaccines by summer 2001. So if the vaxxers were right, few if any under age 17 should have autism.

Largely, not that I worry about it.
Thiomersal Uses
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Man, you know... I've been eating a good bit of this tuna. Supposedly mercury affects ones brain. Over the past few years, I've noticed I've gotten significantly dumber. Maybe if I cut back on the tuna fish my book learnin' will come back.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Is canned salmon any good?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:57 pm
Man, you know... I've been eating a good bit of this tuna. Supposedly mercury affects ones brain. Over the past few years, I've noticed I've gotten significantly dumber. Maybe if I cut back on the tuna fish my book learnin' will come back.
Ut-oh, what will you be like without the yellowfin tuna? :P
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:06 pm
JTA wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:57 pm
Ut-oh, what will you be like without the yellowfin tuna? :P
loss of ..., teeth
I was wondering why they fell out!

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

So what this chart is telling me, is I need to gain a ton of weight, then I'll be in the clear to eat lots of tuna once again?