The Book Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Book Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Definitely save his last book for your last read - A Man Without a Country - a bunch of short writings about life and the lil bush administration.

"The arts are not a way to make a living. They are a very human way of making life more bearable. Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."

Too bad he isn't here for this farce.

And don't forget his short stories.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I've been reading through Vonnegut's bibliography starting with Siren's of Titan. I skipped Piano Player and Slaughterhouse 5. Gonna save those for last. Next up - Blue beard.

Breakfast of Champions was a wild ride. Dead-eye dick was another standout, especially how it ended. Not what I was expecting.

For me, Vonnegut's take a place along with Steinbeck. It's gonna be a bummer when there's no more Vonnegut to read.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:50 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:45 am
Has anyone read River of Grass by Marjory Stoneman Douglas.

Really amazing how Florida was a frontier not so long ago.
Billy pilgrim, what's the best Kurt Vonnegut book aside from Slaughter house five? Been thinking about delving into Sirens of Titan.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by- ... books.html

A list for Julian
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 pm
Gift for billy.p and whack9:

https://www.wonkette.com/here-is-your-b ... -armistice
Thanks. It was a deliberate choice during the Cold War 1950s to change the focus of the day from the peacemakers to the warriors.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:22 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 pm
Gift for billy.p and whack9:

https://www.wonkette.com/here-is-your-b ... -armistice
Thanks. It was a deliberate choice during the Cold War 1950s to change the focus of the day from the peacemakers to the warriors.

Thanks

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Got any fans of Hemingway?

First book I read by him was The Old man and the Sea.

Currently reading The Sun Also Rises. Not too sure I like his style of prose. It feels really dry and bland. He writes in short sentences. Like this. And he does not like to use contractions. Which is alright. Sometimes, perhaps. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Maybe.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:34 pm

Currently reading The Sun Also Rises. Not too sure I like his style of prose. It feels really dry and bland. He writes in short sentences. Like this. And he does not like to use contractions. Which is alright. Sometimes, perhaps. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Maybe.
My favorite is For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Funny, it is (get it?) his style of prose that I especially like, especially dialogue. Different strokes . . .
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:46 pm
Whack9 wrote:

Maybe.
My favorite is For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Funny, it is (get it?) his style of prose that I especially like, especially dialogue. Different strokes . . .
I think the Sun Also Rises was his first novel, so maybe it's better in his other works. I didn't mind the dialogue in The Old Man and the Sea. I'm willing to try For Whom the Bell Tolls next.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:57 pm
I think the Sun Also Rises was his first novel, so maybe it's better in his other works. I didn't mind the dialogue in The Old Man and the Sea. I'm willing to try For Whom the Bell Tolls next.
I never read The Sun Also Rises, not into bullfights.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:

Maybe.
Like the style or not, this briefly describes how he arrived at it. I guess, I never had the benefit of studying him in school.
Ernest Hemingway: Writing style
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I finished up The Sun Also Rises.

Still not too impressed. I guess I just didn't "get" it.

Basically the story follows a bunch of privileged expats on a drinking binge stiffing one another and fighting and getting caught up in love triangles. The male characters all have the hots for Brett, who likes to sleep around with a bunch of different men. They all go to a bullfight in Spain and party some more. Brett and a young bullfighter bang, bullfighter gets his ass beat by another main character she had a relationship with. Other characters fight. Brett's fiance fights. More drinking. More tension. The other main character, Jake, had his man-hood blown off in WWI, loves Brett, who also loves Jake, but she likes to get down widdit so their relationship will never work.

I kind of get the jist of this being about a bunch of "lost" souls and decadence, but I think I was turned off by the dialogue.

Anyway, I started reading For Whom The Bell Tolls and so far it's much better. The dialogue is in the same style but it's written much better. Hemingway probably refined his style by the time he wrote this book so it's interesting seeing his progression.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Heh, pretty cool. I'm currently reading "America: The Farewell Tour" by Chris Hedges. I wish every Trump fan would read it. It's basically a treatise on all the factors that are contributing to the decline of our society and why they get no attention but instead continue apace under the radar.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Just finished reading Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey.

I really enjoy this guy's writing. The book is basically a bunch of stories about his time in the Utah desert working as a park ranger. Except more interesting than that.

I write shit book reviews when I'm sober so I'll just leave it at that for now. Take my word, it's a really enjoyable read.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Whack9 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:50 pm
Just finished reading Desert Solitaire by Edward Abbey.

I really enjoy this guy's writing. The book is basically a bunch of stories about his time in the Utah desert working as a park ranger. Except more interesting than that.

I write shit book reviews when I'm sober so I'll just leave it at that for now. Take my word, it's a really enjoyable read.
It's my first and favorite of his books, all of which I liked, a green nonsectarian spiritual wilderness journey.

The Monkey Wrench Gang is his best known, a great romp, and inspired a radical eco-warrior/saboteur movement, one that I may or may not have participated in. ;)
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I picked up his "Best of" book, which contains a bunch of his writings and snippets from his books. Compiled by the man himself. Read a couple of chapters. So far so good. I enjoyed the excerpt from his book about applachia where he talks about the Gatlinburg/Sylva NC area.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:56 am
I picked up his "Best of" book, which contains a bunch of his writings and snippets from his books. Compiled by the man himself. Read a couple of chapters. So far so good. I enjoyed the excerpt from his book about applachia where he talks about the Gatlinburg/Sylva NC area.
My x was born in Sylva. I hadn't thought about her in months. Oh well.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:05 pm
Whack9 wrote:
:D Whack9 and Edward Abbey suck.
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:05 pm
Whack9 wrote:
I have an ex in Sylva as well. Maybe we've been wronged by the same woman?