America's Got Talent

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Re: America's Got Talent

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Vrede too wrote:Saw that, my post was based on deprecate #3 and depreciate #4 being a pejorative.

Okay, but didn't you use depreciated as the past tense of deprecate here?
rstrong wrote:"Deprecate" is the proper word, used industry wide. Whenever Adobe or Oracle or Microsoft removes a function from their API (Application Programmer Interface), they declare it depreciated....
Then why was the word "Deprecated" used instead of "Depreciated" in the video box?
Maybe I'm confused.
No, you're not. rstrong is not only confused, he's highly befuddled. I've never heard the word "deprecated" until now; that's why I looked it up. What industry, I wonder, uses it so frequently?
Not that any of this is life-shattering information, but let's go back to what caused this pissing contest:

"The YouTube Flash API was officially deprecated on January 27th., 2015" (exact copy and paste)

Definitions of deprecated:
1. to express earnest disapproval of.
2. to urge reasons against; protest against (a scheme, purpose, etc.).
3. to depreciate; belittle.
4. Archaic. to pray for deliverance from.

1 .... YouTube Flash has been earnestly disapproved of and that is why Adobe Flash is being phased out?
2 .... The public or a specific entity has protested against it's use, and has schemed to force it's removal?
3 .... It's value has "depreciated" so much that people are bad-mouthing it?
4 .... People are praying that God will deliver them from the evil of Flash Player?

OK, our Northern Walking Fountain of Misinformation . . . your turn.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I go by the dictionary definitions. I gave two dictionary examples: Google definitions and dictionary.com. Other dictionaries agree with them. Ask your mommy to look it up for you, since you're apparently incapable.

*YouTube* used the (somewhat) wrong word.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:I go by the dictionary definitions.
Duh.

I gave two dictionary examples: Google definitions and dictionary.com.
Mine (and Vrede's) came from dictionary.com as well.

Other dictionaries agree with them. Ask your mommy to look it up for you, since you're apparently incapable.
I simply (you're familiar with that term, aren't you?) copied and pasted what was on the video box. That was my original question. Y
ou turned it into a major pissing contest. At least I had a mommy, as opposed to your being hatched.

*YouTube* used the (somewhat) wrong word.
If I were you, I'd fire off an email or one of them silly-ass hashtag thingies to YouTube telling them that the world famous Northern Walking Fountain of Misinformation from Winnipeg needs to inform them of their lack of education, and to get their asses in gear! Perhaps your distinguished-sounding title will impress them and they'll comply. (don't forget Dear Abby)

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

As I said, "*YouTube* used the (somewhat) wrong word."

The dictionaries bear this out. They give separate entries with separate definitions, but there's some overlap. Dictionary.com - one of the examples I gave - points out how the two can be confused.

You remind me of nascarfan on the old forum. Utterly offended when someone quoted a university professor to disprove his claims.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:As I said, "*YouTube* used the (somewhat) wrong word."

The dictionaries bear this out. They give separate entries with separate definitions, but there's some overlap. Dictionary.com - one of the examples I gave - points out how the two can be confused.

You remind me of nascarfan on the old forum. Utterly offended when someone quoted a university professor to disprove his claims.
:lol: :lol: Hell, I didn't get offended. You?

Again, I only wanted to know what it meant when it said YouTube Flash has been "deprecated".

Going by the definitions, it doesn't make sense, and I still know no more now than I did when I first asked the question! -0-?

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Seth Milner wrote:... and I still know no more now than I did when I first asked the question!
:lol: :lol:
It appears our Northern Walking Fountain of Misinformation doesn't know either! <gasp> -0-? -0-?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:... and I still know no more now than I did when I first asked the question!
:lol: :lol:
It appears our Northern Walking Fountain of Misinformation doesn't know either! <gasp> -0-? -0-?
I gave the dictionary and industry definition. YOU'RE too stupid to understand it even when it's broken down into little words for you.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Jesus Christ you're goddamned stupid.

:roll:

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote: :roll:
Keep rolling your eyes; maybe you'll find a brain back there.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

I also found this this morning:

Note:
Google Earth Enterprise has been deprecated as of March 20, 2015. Google Earth Enterprise will be supported through March 22, 2017.

1 .... Google Eart Flash has been earnestly disapproved of and that is why it's being phased out?
2 .... The public or a specific entity has protested against it's use, and has schemed to force it's removal?
3 .... It's value has "depreciated" so much that people are bad-mouthing it?
4 .... People are praying that God will deliver them from the evils of Google Earth?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Nevermind the dictionary definitions, Seth - When Google says it "deprecated" Google Earth, for example, it means it has decided to doom the application to obsolescence and will drop it at a certain time in the future, maybe a year. They have a "deprecation policy" that states what they will support and not during the deprecation period.

I don't know, and don't really care why they picked that term, but they wouldn't be the first to latch onto a word a create a new meaning.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:I don't know, and don't really care why they picked that term, but they wouldn't be the first to latch onto a word a create a new meaning.
Dunno about "deprecated", but those who use "depreciated" for abandoning APIs are using a minor variance on an existing meaning common in accounting.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:Nevermind the dictionary definitions, Seth - When Google says it "deprecated" Google Earth, for example, it means it has decided to doom the application to obsolescence and will drop it at a certain time in the future, maybe a year. They have a "deprecation policy" that states what they will support and not during the deprecation period.

I don't know, and don't really care why they picked that term, but they wouldn't be the first to latch onto a word a create a new meaning.
Thank you! That is what I wanted to know!!
(I don't really care either, it's just that the definition of the word didn't make sense in relation to the action being taken; and that was bugging me. )

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:Nevermind the dictionary definitions, Seth - When Google says it "deprecated" Google Earth, for example, it means it has decided to doom the application to obsolescence and will drop it at a certain time in the future, maybe a year. They have a "deprecation policy" that states what they will support and not during the deprecation period.
Google could also use the word "defecate" which also means doomed to obsolescence and will be dropped at a certain time in the future, which is usually within just a few minutes.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

neoplacebo wrote: Google could also use the word "defecate" which also means doomed to obsolescence and will be dropped at a certain time in the future, which is usually within just a few minutes.
:thumbup: :clap: I wanted to say those exact words (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) to rstrong when he was insisting the definition was what he said it was, but I thought that for one time, I was going to be nice.
I posted, slapped the piss outta myself for having that thought, and moved on.
Thanks.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

No problem; I've long thought of myself as a cunning linguist.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:I wanted to say those exact words (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) to rstrong when he was insisting the definition was what he said it was, but I thought that for one time, I was going to be nice.
I'm only going by what dictionaries say on the matter. But what do they know about words, right?

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

neoplacebo wrote:No problem; I've long thought of myself as a cunning linguist.
I saw one of those once!

What's the difference in a row of juggling clowns and a row of Chorus girls?

The clowns have a cunning line of stunts . . .
Last edited by Seth Milner on Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:I'm only going by what dictionaries say on the matter. But what do they know about words, right?
Why can it not sink in to your head that, despite it's meaning, the manner in which it was used was the reasoning for posting the question, and the only reason for posting the question?? How long are you going to keep this pissing contest going? geeze.

Keep rolling your eyes .... maybe somewhere in that hollow space you'll find what you hope to find!

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:
rstrong wrote:I'm only going by what dictionaries say on the matter. But what do they know about words, right?
Why can it not sink in to your head that, despite it's meaning, the manner in which it was used was the reasoning for posting the question, and the only reason for posting the question??
Given that - especially in this case - the manner in which a word is used is dependent on it's meaning, that's a pretty stupid claim. :roll:
Seth Milner wrote:How long are you going to keep this pissing contest going?
Once again you drag me back into a topic BY NAME, and then stupidly act like it was wrong of me to respond. :roll:
Seth Milner wrote:Keep rolling your eyes ....
Keep playing stupid, and people will continue to take you at face value. :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Seth Milner talent is deprecating a topic . . . or "defecating", neoplacebo.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.