It's the economy, stupid.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: It's the economy, stupid.

Unread post by Vrede too »

Donald Trump's latest tweets!

RT @Scavino45: U.S. MARKETS FROM ELECTION DAY {Since 11/8/2016} 📈 https://t.co/HtjHrznQKJ
:roll: Faux Noise, of course.

Dow Jones 1/20/16: 15766.74
Dow Jones 1/20/17: 19827.25
26% growth in Obama's last year.
Dow Jones 10/16/17: 22,937.76
16% growth in Dolt .45’s 9 months, an annual rate of 21%. Growth has SLOWED since he came in.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GOP confronts another failed tax experiment in Oklahoma

Same thing has happened over and over since Reagan. Will they ever learn?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:33 pm
GOP confronts another failed tax experiment in Oklahoma

Same thing has happened over and over since Reagan. Will they ever learn?

Since Reagan?

Trickle down, tinkle down, whatever you want to call it has been around ever since there has been wealth inequality with kings, earls, poobas, witchdoctors, pope's and others wearing funny hats have always claimed that if everyone else would turn over their stuff they would get more stuff back. Generally it's done with swords in the past but more recently television has played a big role.

All praise the job creators.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

According to the Trump Administration, Trump’s Regulatory Agenda is a Bad Idea

Last week the Trump administration confirmed that environmental regulations are good for the economy. This may sound like “fake news,” but the numbers are unambiguous: According to Trump’s Office of Management and Budget, every dollar spent on environmental compliance generates six dollars in economic benefits....

To look at this another way, the OMB report shows that over the 2006-2016 time period, environmental regulations have created a net economic benefit of over $300 billion per year....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Minnesota and Wisconsin had similar job growth trajectories leading up to the Great Recession, but not after it

Earlier this week, EPI released an analysis of economic performance in Wisconsin and Minnesota since 2010, which showed that by virtually every available measure, Minnesota has outperformed Wisconsin. This is notable because lawmakers in the two states adopted vastly different policy agendas coming out of the recession. Wisconsin adopted a highly conservative agenda of cutting taxes, shrinking government, and weakening unions. Minnesota, in contrast, enacted many key progressive priorities: raising the minimum wage, strengthening safety net programs and labor standards, and boosting public investment in infrastructure and education, financed by raising taxes, primarily on the wealthy....
As Wisconsin’s and Minnesota’s lawmakers took divergent paths, so did their economies
Since 2010, Minnesota’s economy has performed far better for working families than Wisconsin’s

Since the 2010 election of Governor Scott Walker in Wisconsin and Governor Mark Dayton in Minnesota, lawmakers in these two neighboring states have enacted vastly different policy agendas. Governor Walker and the Wisconsin state legislature have pursued a highly conservative agenda centered on cutting taxes, shrinking government, and weakening unions. In contrast, Minnesota under Governor Dayton has enacted a slate of progressive priorities: raising the minimum wage, strengthening safety net programs and labor standards, and boosting public investments in infrastructure and education, financed through higher taxes (largely on the wealthy)....
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:14 pm
GM to slash 14,700 jobs in North America

Damn Democrats.
Dow Jones 1/20/2009: 7949.09
Dow Jones 1/20/2010: 10603.15
33.4% growth in Obama's first year.
25.8% growth in Obama's last year. 300% growth from the Spring 2009 Shrub low in Obama's 8 years.
Dow Jones 11/26/18: 24,482.21
23.5% growth in Dolt .45’s first 22 months, an annual growth rate of 12.8%, a much LOWER rate than both Obama’s 1st and last years.

Damn Democrats.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:52 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

Damn Democrats.
Dow Jones 1/20/2009: 7949.09
Dow Jones 1/20/2010: 10603.15
33.4% growth in Obama's first year.
25.8% growth in Obama's last year. 300% growth from the Spring 2009 Shrub low in Obama's 8 years.
Dow Jones 11/26/18: 24,482.21
23.5% growth in Dolt .45’s first 22 months, an annual growth rate of 12.8%, a much LOWER rate than both Obama’s 1st and last years.

Damn Democrats.
DJIA 2018 ytd virtually unchanged, zero percent growth...oops. Thx Dems.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:31 pm
It's dropped from 24,824.01 at the beginning of this year. This is a better measure of POSPOTUS policy than 2017, at least some of those market gains can be attributed exclusively to Obama. Plus, any apparent economic positives have been financed by Dolt .45 and the GOP's massive deficit increase.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:43 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:31 pm
It's dropped from 24,824.01 at the beginning of this year. This is a better measure of POSPOTUS policy than 2017, at least some of those market gains can be attributed exclusively to Obama. Plus, any apparent economic positives have been financed by Dolt .45 and the GOP's massive deficit increase.
The market is telling us it's nervous about Dolt45's policies. Additionally, when the next recession comes there are no stimulation bullets via tax cuts in the gun. We're living the economic sugar high and the fall may be precipitous.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:

Damn Democrats.
NBC news says that GM got $157 million from the POSPOTUS tax cut this year.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:40 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:

Damn Democrats.
NBC news says that GM got $157 million from the POSPOTUS tax cut this year.
Glad to see they're re-investing back in the USA!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Chart 9 (which was a pie graph or a rubber chicken graph) to me shows what the fundamental problem is......70% of the population is not as cognizant or attentive to what is happening. 30% of the population that are well educated will never prevail unless education is stressed bigly. MASA make America smart again. After all, Trump said he loves the uneducated. I recognized that as significant at the time.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Heh, I read the other day that Mnuchin spent his vacation weekend in Mexico a few days ago making calls to all of the largest bank CEO's to
'reassure" them and ask if they have adequate capital on hand. And I thought, huh, isn't having adequate capital on hand part of the post 08 regulations that the GOP are so hot to discard? I just figured he was wondering if any bank had enough cash to enable him to liquidate his accounts before things go south. Then I started wishing that the US would close the border and Mnuchin and his entourage would have to climb the wall and or trek the desert to get back into the country. I think Mnuchin looks like a cross between a used car salesman and some extinct marine creature. Fuck him.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The markets are shaky, but Mnuchin raising the specter of bank failures when there's no current risk of them, then bragging about it, slammed the markets even worse. I would prefer a used car salesman or extinct marine creature as TS.
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:06 pm
Chart 9 (which was a pie graph or a rubber chicken graph) to me shows what the fundamental problem is......70% of the population is not as cognizant or attentive to what is happening. 30% of the population that are well educated will never prevail unless education is stressed bigly. MASA make America smart again. After all, Trump said he loves the uneducated. I recognized that as significant at the time.
Chart 8 is related - the teacher pay gap relative to other college graduates in every state. NC is 2nd worst, your TN is 13th worst, FL is 16th worst. SC is surprisingly good, but maybe that's just because its non-teaching pay also sucks.

Education is a huge factor, but US inequality is horrendous even after adjusting for differing education levels. We have a lot of things to fix.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:22 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:06 pm
Chart 8 is related - the teacher pay gap relative to other college graduates in every state. NC is 2nd worst, your TN is 13th worst, FL is 16th worst. SC is surprisingly good, but maybe that's just because its non-teaching pay also sucks.

Education is a huge factor, but US inequality is horrendous even after adjusting for differing education levels. We have a lot of things to fix.
I agree. I figure that during the peak of US economic strength (1945-1965) chart 9 would probably show a greater differential between college educated voters and those of less levels of education, but back then there was more of a sense of being "a country" or at least more of a sense of being aware of what's going on. Fake news has been a tremendous boon for the purveyors of it and a disaster for the recipients of it, not to mention to those that know better. It's no surprise to me that states in the south rank lower on the teacher pay scale. It's always been that way. Anybody can be smart if they want to and apply themselves. The smartest guy I ever knew only had a third grade education but had more than one patent to his name. He died last Feb at 89.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:30 pm
I agree. I figure that during the peak of US economic strength (1945-1965) chart 9 would probably show a greater differential between college educated voters and those of less levels of education, but back then there was more of a sense of being "a country" or at least more of a sense of being aware of what's going on....
I don't think so.
That was during the heyday of high paying manufacturing jobs.
Tax rates on the uber-wealthy were very high.
It was before we started seeing such obscene pay for executives and the widening income gap between them and their workers.
It was before the massive deliberate transfer of wealth from the working and middle classes to the uber-wealthy began in the early 1980s.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:25 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:30 pm
I agree. I figure that during the peak of US economic strength (1945-1965) chart 9 would probably show a greater differential between college educated voters and those of less levels of education, but back then there was more of a sense of being "a country" or at least more of a sense of being aware of what's going on....
I don't think so.
That was during the heyday of high paying manufacturing jobs.
Tax rates on the uber-wealthy were very high.
It was before we started seeing such obscene pay for executives and the widening income gap between them and their workers.
It was before the massive deliberate transfer of wealth from the working and middle classes to the uber-wealthy began in the early 1980s.
Ok, I guess we'll have our first argument....I posit that during the period mentioned above the percentage of college educated adults in this country was lower, probably by a significant amount, than it is now. Back then, labor unions were strong and good jobs were generally available to anyone that wanted one. Education was less of a qualifier for a good job than it is today by a long shot. I've seen it in my home town. My hometown used to be the site of the largest book publisher in the world; across the street from it was a large paper mill. There is also Tennessee Eastman here since the early part of the century, as well as an Army ammunition plant. During the period in question, lots of folks had jobs for decades at these places but automation and competition have priced those folks out. During all this time labor unions were active here; I can remember seeing workers with signs walking up and down in front of the plant...I was probably seven or eight years old. But it struck me that this was something important but I didn't know what it was at the time. The company I am talking about was Kingsport Press. There's a Food City store on the site now. The paper mill across the street is still there but is owned by an Arab consortium. MAGA

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Let's make sure we really are arguing.
I agree with all of that.
I assumed that you meant "a greater" INCOME "differential between college educated voters and those of less levels of education". Everything you posted about the strength of workers back then suggests a lower INCOME differential.
If you didn't mean income and just meant numbers with degrees, you are correct and my bad.

Percentage of the U.S. population who have completed four years of college or more from 1940 to 2017, by gender

The increase for men has been pretty steady, dropping only in 1984, 1990-91, 2005, 2011 and 2014. The rise for women has been even steadier, dropping only in 1981 and exceeding men since 2014.
1312. ETTD.