2016 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2016 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

Wyoming
est % in: 100%
Sanders 55.7%
Clinton 44.3%

http://www.cnn.com/
... but the Wyoming vote was a draw from a delegate perspective: Sanders and Clinton each picked up seven.

That means Clinton has 1,287 delegates based on primaries and caucuses to Sanders' 1,037....

Sanders, who has now won seven of the last eight state contests ...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/colorado-wyo ... ction.html
Hillary 20 states, Sanders 17 + Americans abroad.

Dang, I'd about given up on Bernie's good fight. I may have to send him even more money depending on NY & PA.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

A reminder from Calgary stock footage company Dissolve, about what a Presidential campaign is *supposed* to look like.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Ryan refuse to be drafted... http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/12/politics/ ... ntial-bid/

That's really a good thing. The formerly wild-eyed budget-cutter looks so sane next to the clown car that he probably would have put up a strong campaign against a not-the-strongest Hillary. Unless of course the Trumpers were so mad they went third rail - um party.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

... On Tuesday, Ryan dismissed comparisons between speculation that he would accept the speakership -- which he repeatedly denied before taking the position last fall -- and his refusal on Tuesday to be considered for the GOP's nomination at the Republican convention in July....
I'll make that comparison until a nominee is selected.
... Behind the scenes, Ryan is making clear that his biggest goal in 2016 is now helping save an increasingly endangered House GOP majority....
Whoa, could it be?
rstrong wrote:A reminder from Calgary stock footage company Dissolve, about what a Presidential campaign is *supposed* to look like.
Screw Bernie, I'm voting for that guy.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A Contested Democratic Convention Is Now a Near Statistical Certainty

2 contested conventions? Gonna have to stock up on the popcorn.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:A reminder from Calgary stock footage company Dissolve, about what a Presidential campaign is *supposed* to look like.
This is fantastic.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

CBS poll: Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders - who can unite Democrats?

As the Democratic candidates prepare to face off in their eighth debate, Hillary Clinton maintains her lead over Bernie Sanders in the race for the Democratic nomination nationally. She is ahead by six points, similar to her lead last month.

Clinton continues to do well with women and voters over age 45. Sanders gets strong support from men, younger voters and independents. Clinton has the advantage with self-identified Democrats.

... 24 percent of Sanders supporters say they would not back Clinton if she became the nominee. Fewer Clinton voters (9 percent) say that about Sanders should he capture the nomination....
One can argue, as I would, that people would be foolish to not back Clinton in that case, but the implications for November are serious.
... Overall, Americans continue to be divided on the presidency of Barack Obama. Forty-six percent of Americans approve of the job President Obama is doing, while 45 percent disapprove - similar to evaluations since the beginning of the year....

Approval of Congress remains low: just 14 percent of Americans approve of the job Congress is doing, while 77 percent disapprove. Disapproval of Congress is high regardless of political affiliation.
What might this mean for Congress in November? I can't find where Nate Silver is making a prediction yet.

Trump puts GOP House majority in jeopardy
Democrats already have reasonable odds of flipping a dozen or so House seats.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Sigh.....this whole campaign and election cycle just makes me want to throw my hands up and go off somewhere and rinse my preebus.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Reince Priebus - remove the vowels and you have RNC PR BS.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hillary Clinton’s lead narrows among Democrats, poll shows

... Some 48% of Democratic primary voters picked him as their first choice for president, while 50% picked her. In a poll last month, Clinton was ahead by 9 percentage points, enjoying a 53% to 44% lead.

Sanders’ surge in support likely comes too late for him to overcome the big lead in the convention delegates that Clinton has amassed....
I've said it before and was wrong - Big day tomorrow, NY could give Hillary the nomination or Bernie momentum and a real shot. Might be close enough to not be final at all.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I didn't write this, but I could have. Certainly it's words of wisdom...
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-schw ... 28614.html?

"... Withdrawing support for the Democratic nominee, be it Bernie or Hillary, is not an option because not voting is no different than pulling the lever for Trump or Cruz or whatever swamp creature emerges from the GOP morass - and that is political suicide for our country. So fellow liberals, stop moaning about Obama and be grateful for his courage, fortitude, political acumen and steadfast focus on the long game; he achieved the near impossible. And we must stop this ridiculous and I must say childish rant that we won’t support the Democratic nominee if he or she is not our first choice. Let idealism guide your heart and realism guide your vote."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Hillary won big, 58-42, and Trump did even better in a 3-way. Could be a contest between the nominees with the highest negative ratings ever, even within their own parties. We are a strange place.

EXIT POLL analysis

Can't say if it hurt Sanders, but sounds like the election was a mess.

Sanders campaign, New York officials cry foul after New York voters report issues
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:Sigh.....this whole campaign and election cycle just makes me want to throw my hands up and go off somewhere and rinse my preebus.
Reince Priebus - remove the vowels and you have RNC PR BS.
Colbert: Anagram for CRISP BEE URINE

:lol: I might try that Bailey's on my cereal thing. Thanks, Reince!
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

TIL: It's the left's fault that people on the right are voting for Trump.

Taxed:
Not true. People supporting Trump aren't "mad at the establishment". That's ridiculous and has grown stale. People support Trump the same way students enrolled in Trump University, or the same way an old lady sends back account information to a Nigerian email scammer. They're easily manipulated and too stupid to understand what they're doing. The only reason anyone supports Trump is because they fall into that small percentage of the country who are easily taken advantage of. For example, a person who signs up for Amway is a Trump supporter. It has nothing to do with "why", or anything that implies the supporter is engaged in any thought. They see something shiny because they think there's opportunity and they jump on it.

SupSalesIdiot:

"they fall into that small percentage of the country who are easily taken advantage of. "

Unfortunately, that percentage is growing as the left succeeds in dumbing down the country.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

So, they're saying that Republicans really are that stupid and the left is smart enough to take advantage of it. Hard to argue with that and for once I'm impressed with their insight and honesty, though not with their crybaby victimhood.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:So, they're saying that Republicans really are that stupid and the left is smart enough to take advantage of it. Hard to argue with that and for once I'm impressed with their insight and honesty, though not with their crybaby victimhood.

It appears that our liberal relentless war on education is working.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »