The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Everywhere I read says satellite internet is too slow, but in any case it doesn't seem to be available for mobile use anyway. I'm not unhappy with the ATT hotspot - works great with a decent cell service, and is fine for everything except vid streaming. Lady O Really watched a couple of hours of shows she'd missed because of not having DVR or cable (final "Downton" and the "Good Wife" on at the same time - horrors!) and it ate up the hotspot at about a gig an hour. Maybe less, but not much.

But it's not really a life-affecting issue short term, but it has got me thinking if there are practical solutions to cutting cord without having to constantly switch from one machine to another - or if there are linking devices to plug in the outside antenna/satellite, computer/streaming device, TV to so as to at least make switching electronic.

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

We cut the cord several years ago. We use Tivo and an over the air antennae. Where we live we get all the networks and 4 or 5 other channels. Tivo, by far, has the best DVR out there, you get a 2 week guide and it remembers to record only new shows and not repeats. We never watch anything live so we save watching 20 mins of commercials every hour. The downside is it does cost 15 bucks a month. You can run netflix, hbo to go , amazon video and some other internet paid channels through the tivo, so you only need 1 remote.

When college football rolled around this year I got Sling TV through my Roku for 25 bucks a month I get all the ESPN channels including the SEC channel and maybe 20 other channels like cnn and the food network which I found I didn't watch much after a few of years without. At the end of football I canceled Sling and will wait for next year. Only problem with Sling is you can't record, you must watch live!

O Really
Admiral

What TiVo device do you have? Can you start/stop the subscription?
It looks like Sling might be a solution.

Only drawback remains places where the wi-fi is lame. It would still be costly to run from the ATT hotspot.

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

I have the Roamio OTA. If you buy from Tivo you can try for 30 days and return if not satisfied. The first year is under contract after that it is month to month. I have suspended my account in the past and resumed service. A quick search seems to show you can travel with it, it needs internet connectivity at least every two weeks to update guide or if you move to a different zip code a new guide has to be loaded. Updating doesn't require much bandwidth.

Sling TV through either a Roku or a PC can have the bandwidth selected depending on whats available or what quality picture you want so as to not go over your monthly att limit.

O Really
Admiral

Thanks! I'll look into that.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Necromancy in action . . . go for it JTA.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:Necromancy in action . . . go for it JTA.
Many thanks kind sir. I've long since forgotten what I wanted to ask, unfortunately. :(
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

What's a red blooded, god fearing American man to do when all he has in his pantry is two cans of tuna fish and a bag of Parmesan cheese?

O Really
Admiral

You can make a tuna melt. Would help if you had some mayo and/or olive oil, but it would probably be edible with just the tuna and cheese.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

JTA wrote:What's a red blooded, god fearing American man to do when all he has in his pantry is two cans of tuna fish and a bag of Parmesan cheese?
That's been a burning question since man took to fearing a god. (which god do you fear? Zeus scares hell out of me!)
O Really wrote:You can make a tuna melt. Would help if you had some mayo and/or olive oil, but it would probably be edible with just the tuna and cheese.
Throw in some chopped onions.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

JTA wrote:What's a red blooded, god fearing American man to do when all he has in his pantry is two cans of tuna fish and a bag of Parmesan cheese?
Lure a cat with one of the cans of tuna fish, then . . .

JTA wrote:Many thanks kind sir. I've long since forgotten what I wanted to ask, unfortunately. :(
Here it is:
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

What's one to do at work when Reddit is down?

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Here's a question...why is this being questioned? An execution is an execution.

Executioner says he was puzzled by inmate’s 26-minute death

Executions have been on hold in Ohio since January 2014, when McGuire gasped and snorted during the 26 minutes it took him to die, the longest execution since the state resumed putting inmates to death in 1999. McGuire was executed for the 1989 rape and stabbing death of 22-year-old Joy Stewart, a recently married pregnant woman in western Ohio.

So the sorry piece of low-life garbage snorted, gasped, and took 26 minutes to die; big fugging deal.
I wonder how long it took the poor terrified-out-of-her-mind pregnant woman to die? The piece of shit should have had the woman's picture in front of his face as he was gasping and snorting his last breath so as her image would be the last he would ever see. Good riddance.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

When 'c' is posted as the entire response to a post on a web forum, does it have some meaning? I would have assumed it was an accident, but it got some thumbs up.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:When 'c' is posted as the entire response to a post on a web forum, does it have some meaning? I would have assumed it was an accident, but it got some thumbs up.
On Newsvine (which is a shitpit), folks will often reply with some sort of code. They use it not as an actual reply, but as a search tool for later getting to their responses quicker and easier than with the built-in features. But never saw one get a thumbs-up.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This is on Yahoo! News. You can scroll through past posts until you get bored, but there's no way to search.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

homerfobe wrote:Here's a question...why is this being questioned? An execution is an execution.
The rule is that it should not be unnecessarily cruel. At the very least those responsible (the prison, the governor, the citizens) want to show that they're BETTER than the "low-life garbage."

Especially given the guaranteed minimum percentage of those being executed who are actually innocent. The recent advance of DNA evidence showed that this was quite high - 156 exonerations of prisoners on death row in the US in 40 years.

Even today:
University of Michigan law professor Samuel Gross led a team of experts in the law and in statistics that estimated the likely number of unjust convictions. The study, published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences determined that at least 4% of people on death row were and are likely innocent. Gross has no doubt that some innocent people have been executed.
Some states "fixed" this by ordering the destruction of DNA evidence ASAP after a conviction.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Which should we be most worried about - AGW, malevolent AI, nuclear war, a killer asteroid or the Yellowstone Supervolcano?
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:50 pm
Which should we be most worried about - AGW, malevolent AI, nuclear war, a killer asteroid or the Yellowstone Supervolcano?
In order of our ability to do something about it (our will to do something is another argument):
1) nuclear war (immediate threat)
2) malevolent AI (could be immediate in <50years)
3) AGW (is showing its effects now, but changing it Is a long term strategy at present)
4) killer asteroid (odds never change and are impossible to calculate anyhow, and there is effectively nothing we can do at present but speculate)
5) Yellowstone ( we got nothing for this one)
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Boatrocker wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:15 am
In order of our ability to do something about it (our will to do something is another argument): ...
Agreed, it's easier to sort the list by what actions we should take, but my question was more about threat level absent consideration of our theoretical ability to reduce the threats.
1312. ETTD.