The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:54 pm
To make it even more horrifying:

A couple years after the collapse, vast numbers of smoke detectors beeping for battery changes.
What smoke detectors?
rstrong wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:26 am
Once those fleeing the cities include the firefighters, it's over for the cities. Even without people causing fires, they often start on their own in cities. Glass focusing the sun's rays, lightning strikes, etc. Every city without firefighters soon burns, the fires spreading uncontrolled beyond the cities.
;)
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

In surviving rural areas.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

it all changes so fast that it's hard to keep up.

Am I remembering correctly that about a week ago the aluminum and steel tariffs were about pressure on Mexico and Canada to renegotiate nafta?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:10 pm
it all changes so fast that it's hard to keep up.

Am I remembering correctly that about a week ago the aluminum and steel tariffs were about pressure on Mexico and Canada to renegotiate nafta?
I don't think so. They were meant to be global all along, BUT Mexico and Canada could be exempted if they caved in on NAFTA.

It doesn't look like POSPOTUS stated why Mexico and Canada are exempted, even though they've both rejected NAFTA linkage.

Trump sets steel and aluminum tariffs; Mexico, Canada exempted
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Yup.

- Trump officials insisted that Canada and Mexico wouldn't be exempted.

- THEN they said that Mexico and Canada would be exempted if they caved in on NAFTA.

- TODAY they're saying that Mexico and Canada might be exempted... temporarily. They'll always have the threat of the tariffs being applied to them at any moment.

This has three effects:

- It supports Abu Ghraib torturer Rick Saccone in the March 13 special House election in western Pennsylvania, in the steel belt.

- The uncertainty has ALREADY driven up US steel prices by over 10%

- The uncertainty harms companies and countries that export steel to the US.

This is why Canada doesn't seem to too concerned about renegotiating NAFTA. The US has already declared that it'll override its NAFTA 2.0 obligations on steel, lumber and whatnot any time it wants, just like it did with various sectors under NAFTA 1.0. A treaty with the US isn't worth the paper it's written on.

If Trump does go with a "tariff but temporary exemption" - anything that creates uncertainty - I hope that Canada does the same with manufactured goods and coal. Announce something that kicks in automatically and immediately if the steel and aluminum tariffs kick in. Make the uncertainty go both ways.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

So Trump has signed his executive order. With the (temporary) exemption for Canada. I hope that Canada responds accordingly.

BTW....

"Since 1990, production of metals in the U.S. has held roughly constant, but the number of people employed in the industry has fallen steadily."

PolitiFact rates this as True. The job losses are due to automation.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:03 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Yup.

- Trump officials insisted that Canada and Mexico wouldn't be exempted.

- THEN they said that Mexico and Canada would be exempted if they caved in on NAFTA.

- TODAY they're saying that Mexico and Canada might be exempted... temporarily. They'll always have the threat of the tariffs being applied to them at any moment.

This has three effects:

- It supports Abu Ghraib torturer Rick Saccone in the March 13 special House election in western Pennsylvania, in the steel belt.

- The uncertainty has ALREADY driven up US steel prices by over 10%

- The uncertainty harms companies and countries that export steel to the US.

This is why Canada doesn't seem to too concerned about renegotiating NAFTA. The US has already declared that it'll override its NAFTA 2.0 obligations on steel, lumber and whatnot any time it wants, just like it did with various sectors under NAFTA 1.0. A treaty with the US isn't worth the paper it's written on.

If Trump does go with a "tariff but temporary exemption" - anything that creates uncertainty - I hope that Canada does the same with manufactured goods and coal. Announce something that kicks in automatically and immediately if the steel and aluminum tariffs kick in. Make the uncertainty go both ways.

now I get it - Saccone votes.

I haven't been paying attention the past couple of days. Knew it couldn't have been about jobs.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Do any of you have quotes by w. bush about a war president getting his agenda?

I remember something about the quote almost getting into a biography written by a relative.

I once found a speech of his where he referenced having said it during his first presidential campaign, but haven't been able to find it again. I wish I had cut and pasted more back then.
It was in a speech (2004 I think) in the mid-west, maybe KC or St. Louis he said something very close to, - the last time I was here I was running for president and I said that a war president always gets his agenda, little did I know ...

It was like he was repeating an old saying, but since it isn't an old saying, I have always felt like it was more of a family saying - the type of thing you might hear around the dinner table with a family that had their bank taken through the Trading with the Enemy Act for doing business with Nazis by that mean old liberal FDR.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Not exactly the direct quote, but similar comment...
https://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1028-01.htm

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:10 am
Do any of you have quotes by w. bush about a war president getting his agenda?

I remember something about the quote almost getting into a biography written by a relative.

I once found a speech of his where he referenced having said it during his first presidential campaign, but haven't been able to find it again. I wish I had cut and pasted more back then.
It was in a speech (2004 I think) in the mid-west, maybe KC or St. Louis he said something very close to, - the last time I was here I was running for president and I said that a war president always gets his agenda, little did I know ...

It was like he was repeating an old saying, but since it isn't an old saying, I have always felt like it was more of a family saying - the type of thing you might hear around the dinner table with a family that had their bank taken through the Trading with the Enemy Act for doing business with Nazis by that mean old liberal FDR.
I searched Wikiquote: George W. Bush for "war" and did not find it, though it could be in one of the links. This is close, but it's not a direct quote:

"As I have heard Bush say, only a wartime president is likely to achieve greatness, in part because the epochal upheavals of war provide the opportunity for transformative change of the kind Bush hoped to achieve. In Iraq, Bush saw his opportunity to create a legacy of greatness."
-- Bush press secretary Scott McClellan, on Bush's need to be a wartime president to improve the chance of a "great" legacy, What Happened, pp. 131
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Larry Flynt sure has been quiet since offering ten million dollars for information that would get trump impeached.

Could he be a stormy fan?

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I have information that will get Trump impeached. Elect enough Dems to control Congress; that will do it. There - can I have my $10 mil now?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 10:03 pm
I have information that will get Trump impeached. Elect enough Dems to control Congress; that will do it. There - can I have my $10 mil now?

Larry is looking for a more stormy approach.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

A) didn't know because we know everything, god said so.
B) didn't care because we know everything, god said so.
C) did it on purpose because we know everything, god said so.

http://www.businessinsider.com/israel-s ... ?r=UK&IR=T

duh, we never noticed that the Japanese have a really big thing about shoes inside any building and we thought using one at the dining room table instead of a plate would be delightful.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Does anyone else find it odd that on Star Trek, when they "boldly go where no one has gone before" they always end up meeting someone there?

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

rstrong wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 5:42 pm
Does anyone else find it odd that on Star Trek, when they "boldly go where no one has gone before" they always end up meeting someone there?
That's the point of going, make new friends and influence people.

Then kill them.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Do doctors really get a kickback for the drugs they prescribe?

Every now and then, I see offhand references to docs getting between an 8 and 12 percent kickback for writing prescriptions. Tell me that this ain’t so. Every industry that even remotely considers itself to be a profession comprised of “professionals” has rules against this type of behavior as a primary ethical standard.

We would go batshit crazy if teachers could get kickbacks from parents for special treatment of their kid.

Even attorneys self-regulating their own profession do better than this bribe to prescribe the most expensive drug available. That is, if this is true.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 am
Do doctors really get a kickback for the drugs they prescribe? ...
I though that such overt bribery, including drug samples, was banned a few years ago, but I'm not sure and who knows what happens under the table?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:22 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:05 am
Do doctors really get a kickback for the drugs they prescribe? ...
I though that such overt bribery, including drug samples, was banned a few years ago, but I'm not sure and who knows what happens under the table?
I hope it was banned. Should have never been allowed.

I had something curious happen regarding a very expensive script that made me wonder. I have also heard it referenced on the TV recently, but I hear all kinds of bs on the TV.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Is being involved in sexual assault or cheating on wives a prerequisite for GOP Speaker?

https://deadspin.com/two-ex-ohio-state- ... 1828041336