The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

The Question Thread

Unread post by JTA »

Got a question for everyone, can't find an answer on the internet.

Can I pour paint solvent in a plastic container, or will the container melt? The label recommends a metal container but I don't have one and I don't want to buy one, so I was going to chop in half an empty water jug and use that as my container for applying solvent to things and doing the needful..

Thanq.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

indago
Pilot Officer

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by indago »

JTA wrote:Can I pour paint solvent in a plastic container
Go ahead and pour the solvent into the plastic container.

Let us know how it all turns out...

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

indago wrote:

Is it best to do this in a room with poor ventilation?

indago
Pilot Officer

Unread post by indago »

JTA wrote:
indago wrote:

Is it best to do this in a room with poor ventilation?
Yes, a small closet would work fine...

Shut the door..

If there's no light in the closet, light a match...

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Looks like it may depend on the plastic http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/C ... vents.html

But I would expect anything of the type and strength as, for example, the plastic gasoline containers to be fine. Probably a milk carton, for short term use, not storage. But then, I don't really know. I probably wouldn't have read the instructions where it said "metal container" :lol: :lol:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Yes, use the bottom half of a gallon of milk. If you use the stuff ping pong balls are made of, you're in trouble. And it also depends on what type of solvent you're manipulating; gasoline, toluene, ether. All of these are flammable and will not abide stupidity, so make sure Sarah Palin is nowhere around.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

neoplacebo wrote:Yes, use the bottom half of a gallon of milk. If you use the stuff ping pong balls are made of, you're in trouble. And it also depends on what type of solvent you're manipulating; gasoline, toluene, ether. All of these are flammable and will not abide stupidity, so make sure Sarah Palin is nowhere around.
Turns out soda cans are made of metal. I had a bunch of those lying around so I cut one of those bad boys in half and it makes the perfect container.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Now that that's settled why do we eat Turkey and pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving instead of pizza and ice-cream cake?

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

JTA wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:Yes, use the bottom half of a gallon of milk. If you use the stuff ping pong balls are made of, you're in trouble. And it also depends on what type of solvent you're manipulating; gasoline, toluene, ether. All of these are flammable and will not abide stupidity, so make sure Sarah Palin is nowhere around.
Turns out soda cans are made of metal. I had a bunch of those lying around so I cut one of those bad boys in half and it makes the perfect container.
If you find thin flakes of transparent material, that's the plastic that lines the cans.

indago
Pilot Officer

Unread post by indago »

Can Whites participate in Black Friday?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

indago wrote:Can Whites participate in Black Friday?
Why's it gotta be "black" Friday?

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:
indago wrote:Can Whites participate in Black Friday?
Why's it gotta be "black" Friday?
It's "Black Friday" because it's supposedly the day on which retailers turn profitable for the year, i.e. go into "the black." I find it really annoying. If they want to sell me something they need to promote it from my perspective, not theirs.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Here's a good question: Does anyone think "evolution" had a hand in this?

Scientists Discover An Invisible Shield Surrounding Earth, Baffled At How It Formed

I'm not baffled, anyone else?

"The purpose of the ring was quite clear to the researchers — the ring is used to block killer electrons from entering deeper into the Earth’s atmosphere. These electrons can be extremely devastating at their near-light speed and have been known to threaten astronauts, fry satellites and damage space systems."

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:
indago wrote:"Can Whites participate in Black Friday?"
"Why's it gotta be "black" Friday?"
"It's "Black Friday" because it's supposedly the day on which retailers turn profitable for the year, i.e. go into "the black." I find it really annoying. If they want to sell me something they need to promote it from my perspective, not theirs."
Interesting....does anyone know why Black Mountain, NC is named as such? (seriously)

I know the answer; heard it 'long time ago.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Mr.B wrote:Here's a good question: Does anyone think "evolution" had a hand in this?

Scientists Discover An Invisible Shield Surrounding Earth, Baffled At How It Formed

I'm not baffled, anyone else?

"The purpose of the ring was quite clear to the researchers — the ring is used to block killer electrons from entering deeper into the Earth’s atmosphere. These electrons can be extremely devastating at their near-light speed and have been known to threaten astronauts, fry satellites and damage space systems."
When you sing that song in Sunday school as a kid that goes like "He's got the whole world in his hands" this is what they were talking about.

O Really
Admiral

I'm guessing they weren't getting any fun gigs as the Polka Tulk Blues Band, so they took the name of the 1963 Mario Bava horror film Black Sabbath starring Boris Karloff because they were impressed at how many people will line up to see something scary.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Mr.B wrote:
O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:
indago wrote:"Can Whites participate in Black Friday?"
"Why's it gotta be "black" Friday?"
"It's "Black Friday" because it's supposedly the day on which retailers turn profitable for the year, i.e. go into "the black." I find it really annoying. If they want to sell me something they need to promote it from my perspective, not theirs."
Interesting....does anyone know why Black Mountain, NC is named as such? (seriously)

I know this history behind this.

The place currently known as "Black Mountain" used to never be a place at all. It had no name, that is until one day the band "Mountain" met up in a trailer in the woods and wrote their hit song "Mississippi Queen". Shortly thereafter, Mountain made it big, and prior to every performance of Mississippi queen would give a shout out to that small nameless North Carolina town. This put the town on the map, and in honor of the band Mountain, the town took adopted the band name as their own.

Years later Black Sabbath, being the big Mountain fans that they were, made a stopover in that little sleepy NC town of Mountain to visit the spot where the rock band Mountain wrote their hit song Mississippi Queen. Being the chill guys that they are, they donated some money to the town of Mountain so that a library could be built, and in honor of Black Sabbath, the town voted on resolution to change their name to "Black Mountain" as a homage to both bands.

Thus was born the town of Black Mountain, NC.

O Really
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:[

Unless it's named for the mountain, I have no idea.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote: "Unless it's named for the mountain, I have no idea."
The range of mountains around the town is named the Black Mountain Range; so named for the abundance of Frasier fir trees that give the mountains an appearance of being black. The town's original name (in Cherokee) was Grey Eagle. When the town organized by whites in 1893, it was renamed Black Mountain.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Mr.B wrote:
O Really wrote: "Unless it's named for the mountain, I have no idea."
The range of mountains around the town is named the Black Mountain Range; so named for the abundance of Frasier fir trees that give the mountains an appearance of being black. The town's original name (in Cherokee) was Grey Eagle. When the town organized by whites in 1893, it was renamed Black Mountain.
Whatever happened to the Cherokee in Grey Eagle after the Whites "organized" the town and named it Black Mountain?