Kill List

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Wneglia
Midshipman

Re: Kill List

Unread post by Wneglia »

Maybe it is because he is CEO of the country :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Introverted programmer. (An extroverted programmer is one who stares at YOUR shoes when he's talking to you.) I wanted to be an accountant, but I didn't have enough personality.

Actually the closest match in the article's list is an accountant. I don't have even the briefest training in accounting, but I've spent the last 20 years writing accounting software and I did tech support for accounting software at another company years before that.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

rstrong wrote:Introverted programmer. (An extroverted programmer is one who stares at YOUR shoes when he's talking to you.) I wanted to be an accountant, but I didn't have enough personality.

Actually the closest match in the article's list is an accountant. I don't have even the briefest training in accounting, but I've spent the last 20 years writing accounting software and I did tech support for accounting software at another company years before that.
Accounting software; are you into it?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Unlike homerfobe's obsession, mine pays the bills.
(Although I might be may be making a false assumption there.)

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

rstrong wrote:Unlike homerfobe's obsession, mine pays the bills.
(Although I might be may be making a false assumption there.)
My pun failed. :oops:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Whoops, lost a drone. The New York Air National Guard just dunked an MQ-9 Reaper in Lake Ontario.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Probably a case of spilling your drink at the controls. Lucky there weren't some sportsmen out there shooting ducks or fishing or just out in a boat drinking beer and cussing.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Looks like we just created a couple hundred more "terrorists" in our continuing misadventure.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Should Obama's Kill List Apologist be confirmed?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I'm just glad that 9/11 didn't happen two months earlier.

Because then I could never get a Slurpee ever again.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Metadata is to data as metaphysics is to physics. :lol:

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede wrote:
Wneglia wrote:Should Obama's Kill List Apologist be confirmed?
Will Rand Paul Launch Another 13-Hour Filibuster?
“I will speak as long as it takes, until the alarm is sounded from coast to coast that our Constitution is important, that your rights to trial by jury are precious, that no American should be killed by a drone on American soil without first being charged with a crime, without first being found to be guilty by a court.
- Rand Paul, speaking to the Senate

So he only opposes killing Americans on American soil. Which even the current administration hasn't done. Which I haven't heard that even David Barron supports.

And then of course:

“I’ve never argued against any technology being used when you have an imminent threat, an active crime going on. If someone comes out of a liquor store with a weapon and fifty dollars in cash, I don’t care if a drone kills him or a policeman kills him.”
- Rand Paul, later speaking to Fox News

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:Whoops, lost a drone. The New York Air National Guard just dunked an MQ-9 Reaper in Lake Ontario.
Huh. They still haven't found it.
More than 400 large U.S. military drones have crashed in major accidents around the world since 2001, a record of calamity that exposes the potential dangers of throwing open American skies to drone traffic, according to a year-long Washington Post investigation.
[...]
In April, a 375-pound Army drone crashed next to an elementary-school playground in Pennsylvania, just a few minutes after students went home for the day. In Upstate New York, the Air Force still cannot find a Reaper that has been missing since November, when it plunged into Lake Ontario. In June 2012, a Navy RQ-4 surveillance drone with a wingspan as wide as a Boeing 757′s nose-dived into Maryland’s Eastern Shore, igniting a wildfire.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Oh puh-leeze. The writer described many ills worthy of outrage, but none of them had anything to do directly with drones.

O Really
Admiral

I have no experience piloting drones. Didn't claim to. But all this guy is describing is a list of common reactions to stressful/traumatic events or activity. It wouldn't have had to be drone-driving to create similar reactions. You're likely more familiar with PTSD than I and know that it's not just drone-driving that causes it. Why did he have to "struggle" to get treatment? Outrageous. Why didn't they provide an opportunity for de-briefing? Outrageous.

But did he also observe anybody who drove drones who didn't get PTSD, didn't get DUI'd or engage in domestic violence? Members of a military unit driving drunk and getting into fights? Unheard of.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Heh, I seen what you did there.... from the Salon Article

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Vrede wrote::?: , bannination?
Ok, maybe my mind is just in the gutter then.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede wrote:[
I think his point is that drone piloting also cause US military casualties, not that it is worse than some other military jobs. Are you sure that you didn't misunderstand?
I didn't misunderstand that point, but I may not have properly addressed it. I really do think it's outrageous that people in stressful jobs in the military (and elsewhere) don't get proper support, help, and treatment. I also think it's outrageous that there doesn't seem to be much proactive effort to pay attention to symptoms and stave off potential problems before they get severe. But still, if one believes the NIH, the drone drivers appear to have a pretty low rate of problems compared to the "boots on the ground" people:

"Alcohol abuse is the most prevalent problem and one which poses a significant health risk. A study of Army soldiers screened 3 to 4 months after returning from deployment to Iraq showed that 27 percent met criteria for alcohol abuse and were at increased risk for related harmful behaviors (e.g., drinking and driving, using illicit drugs). And although soldiers frequently report alcohol concerns, few are referred to alcohol treatment. Research findings highlight the need to improve screening and access to care for alcohol-related problems among service members returning from combat deployments.

Mental illness among military personnel is also a major concern. In another study of returning soldiers, clinicians identified 20 percent of active and 42 percent of reserve component soldiers as requiring mental health treatment. Drug or alcohol use frequently accompanies mental health problems and was involved in 30 percent of the Army's suicide deaths from 2003 to 2009 and in more than 45 percent of non-fatal suicide attempts from 2005 to 2009."