Free Range Kids

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Leo Lyons
Ensign

Re: Free Range Kids

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:40 am
I wasn't complaining or bragging. It was an hour and a half of fun and an example of the difference between the 50s and today.
"Just funnin' wit ya."
I was thinking of the many times I've seen someone writing about difficult situations when they walked to school; which really is nothing to ridicule, but the snow keeps getting deeper

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Leo Lyons wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:47 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:40 am
I wasn't complaining or bragging. It was an hour and a half of fun and an example of the difference between the 50s and today.
"Just funnin' wit ya."
I was thinking of the many times I've seen someone writing about difficult situations when they walked to school; which really is nothing to ridicule, but the snow keeps getting deeper

When we complained about walking in the cold to school, mom would tell us about all 4 of them riding to school on one horse, each clutching the hot just boiled egg my grandmother gave them to keep their hands warm - and for lunch later.

Her story didn't work, we were all envious of how cool it must have been to ride a horse to school.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 am
When we complained about walking in the cold to school, mom would tell us about all 4 of them riding to school on one horse, each clutching the hot just boiled egg my grandmother gave them to keep their hands warm - and for lunch later.

Her story didn't work, we were all envious of how cool it must have been to ride a horse to school.
:lol: :lol: Reminds me of our taking our lunch to school wrapped in a dishtowel stuffed into a one-gallon tin Karo syrup bucket. Mom used to leave a tail-end piece of the towel sticking out and push the lid down, but not locking it in, and warning us not to push the lid down all the way, or we couldn't open it. Mom was right. One day, my teacher had to get the janitor to bring a screwdriver and pop the lid.

Telling this story to a group of kids at a school one time elicited the same reaction; how cool it was to take your lunch to school in a syrup pail!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 am

:D I would have started asking for boiled eggs on cold mornings, too. ;)
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.