Free Range Kids

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Free Range Kids

Unread post by O Really »

I wouldn't argue that it was a good thing way back in the day when kids of 9 and 10 worked full factory shifts and then went home and did house chores, but it does show what kids are capable of and how far they've fallen from the development of self-sufficiency. Again, not that it's a good thing, but kids of people called "gypsies" learn life on the street early. They learn to defend themselves, beware of danger, and deal with traffic. I'm not advocating intentionally putting kids in clear and present danger, but I think looking at what kids can do under difficult circumstances should provide some insight into how they develop into confident, self-sufficient, independent adults.

O Really
Admiral

It's not about kids, but here's an example of fear-mongering. http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical ... vi-AAb3OZ1

Somebody has a rare (maybe unique) reaction to hair dye and dies. Turns into a Dr. Oz show, "how to protect yourself from hair dye" :roll:

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:I wouldn't argue that it was a good thing way back in the day when kids of 9 and 10 worked full factory shifts and then went home and did house chores, but it does show what kids are capable of and how far they've fallen from the development of self-sufficiency. Again, not that it's a good thing, but kids of people called "gypsies" learn life on the street early. They learn to defend themselves, beware of danger, and deal with traffic. I'm not advocating intentionally putting kids in clear and present danger, but I think looking at what kids can do under difficult circumstances should provide some insight into how they develop into confident, self-sufficient, independent adults.
Growing up there was always that one kid with the over protective parents that ruined things for everyone else. You and your friends out beating each other with sticks? Nope, authorities were informed! Watching a rated R movie when you're not supposed? Nope! Passing around VHS tapes your rich buddy recorded from late night skinemax? Nope!

I bet more and more kid's don't even throw dirt bombs at each other anymore or build dams in creeks or play war with fake stick guns and swords. The shame.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

I'll bet this kid wasn't helicoptered. 13-year old hero! http://abcnews.go.com/US/13-year-direct ... d=30433165

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote: "I bet more and more kid's don't even.........play war with fake stick guns and swords. The shame."
Well you can't blame parents for that...probably not even good to go there with any accusations....but, kids have been sent home from school for bringing toy soldiers or pictures of squirt guns to school.

Like it was already said....we live in a fear-mongering society.

O Really
Admiral

Good article here on Free Range vs. Helicopter parents... http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/20 ... picks=true

From the article: "The increase in perpetual parental oversight also comes at the same time that child mortality and violent crime rates have dropped to near-record lows. While the actual risks are lower, say child-development experts, society’s perception of them has increased, fueled in part by social media and 24-hour news reports."

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

That is a good article. I noted this:

“At no other time in human history have people underestimated children’s competency as Americans do today,” says Danielle Meitiv, a Maryland mother who was investigated by child protective services (CPS) after she and her husband let their two children, ages 10 and 6, walk to a park on their own. “That’s how you learn. You don’t learn to handle responsibility without trying to handle responsibility. You don’t learn how to handle risk without trying to handle risk.”

At no other time in human history have young women and small children been snatched off the streets and sexually abused or murdered either. Remember Ariel Castro? He kept three pre-teen girls locked up in his basement for years. I reiterate the story of the small boy snatched up off the street by a pedophile, running off with him while his slightly older sister chased the man.

The mother above also said "You don’t learn how to handle risk without trying to handle risk.” OK, so a small child recognizes a risk. Pray tell how that child is going to handle that risk after it is recognized? The child is not going to be physically capable of fighting off a grown adult bent on sexually abusing that child.
O Really wrote:So what age should a kid be able to walk 3 blocks to the park by him/herself? There isn't a definitive answer, because kids are different, neighborhoods are different, etc. But if cops are going to pick up kids for walking unaccompanied, even when the kids tell them they aren't lost, they're on their way home, yada, then there ought to be a law about that. What's it going to be? And how frightening it must be for a 13-year old kid who has to walk 3 blocks by himself for the first time in his life. Aw, Mommy, puleeze don't make me go to the park!
You've made some interesting observations; and I agree there isn't a definitive answer. I would say though, that if there are cops observing the kids walking alone, why not take a few more minutes to just watch them, rather than gather them up and haul them off to CPS? Therein the problem lies.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

Seth Milner wrote:...

At no other time in human history have young women and small children been snatched off the streets and sexually abused or murdered either.

You've made some interesting observations; and I agree there isn't a definitive answer. I would say though, that if there are cops observing the kids walking alone, why not take a few more minutes to just watch them, rather than gather them up and haul them off to CPS? Therein the problem lies.
I'd disagree with the first comment, but don't have the numbers on it. I'll look.

Excellent point on the cops - didn't they use to do that? Or ask them if they're OK? Or in some neighborhoods walk them home? Taking them to CPS ought to be considered abuse in itself.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Seth Milner wrote:... At no other time in human history have young women and small children been snatched off the streets and sexually abused or murdered either....
Ever hear of slavery?

One of the outdoor school founders said, paraphrased, "Parents often ask me if I can promise the safety of their child. I tell them, 'On the contrary, there is a chance your child will die. However, if you protect them from all risk I guarantee the death of their soul.'" This is something I sometimes mention to parents of adventurous, injured children.

Kids need violence-free homes, sufficient quality food, decent education, adequate shelter and science based healthcare. After that, it's largely a crap shoot as to exactly what choices to make.

Perhaps a metaphor: On average, dishwashers clean better than hand washing does. So, kids should use dishwasher cleaned plates and utensils, right? Nope, I just read about a large scale Danish study that found that the kids in hand washing homes have fewer allergies and stronger immunity to many diseases.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

O Really
Admiral

Colonel Taylor wrote:
24-7 media is all.
:?: :?:

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

O Really wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:
24-7 media is all.
I also believe that kids are safer today but if a kid stubs his toe and screams loud enough it's on the tube 24-7 until the next big story.

O Really
Admiral

Colonel Taylor wrote:
O Really wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:
24-7 media is all.
I also believe that kids are safer today but if a kid stubs his toe and screams loud enough it's on the tube 24-7 until the next big story.
OK, yeah. And then they tell us "how to keep your family safe" from stubbing their toes.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

If the websites and the news media says kids are safer today, OK.

Maybe it's because the news media is reporting more on crimes against children, and the huge bulletin boards at the Walmarts across the country that have Missing Children posters are making us paranoid.

Also, we know everything we read or hear in the news and on the Internet is absolutely true. :thumbup:

I'm all for giving kids free range to learn responsibility; but at what age should they start?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Does anyone have any good recipes?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA wrote:"Does anyone have any good recipes?"
You wanting to try out your free range?

O Really
Admiral

OK here's a good example - entitled "14 seemingly harmless things you eat, drink, and use all the time that can kill you"

Seriously? Death by chocolate? - eat 85 full-size chocolate bars. Overdose on Tylenol? Takes 71 extra-strength pills.

Be afraid! Be very afraid! :roll:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical ... ?ocid=iehp

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote: "Be afraid! Be very afraid! :roll: "
The statistics at the end of the video say enough.....

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Lies, damn lies and statistics. A 30 second Google search shall set you free.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.