Free Range Kids

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: Free Range Kids

Unread post by Mr.B »

Boatrocker wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote: ". . . Na when things get slow here banni goes to con forums and brings their post over here . . . ."
"That's rarely necessary, when we have crackers like you posting in here on a regular basis."
Colonel Taylor, I guess that means you're a saltine attempting to mingle with the Ritz...... :wtf:

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Mr.B wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote: ". . . Na when things get slow here banni goes to con forums and brings their post over here . . . ."
"That's rarely necessary, when we have crackers like you posting in here on a regular basis."
Colonel Taylor, I guess that means you're a saltine attempting to mingle with the Ritz...... :wtf:
More like a turd attempting to mingle with the punchbowl.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Boatrocker wrote:
Mr.B wrote:
Boatrocker wrote:
More like a turd attempting to mingle with the punchbowl.
A punchbowl that's already overly-filled with turds, that is.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Does that make them Free Range Parents?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:Does that make them Free Range Parents?
They are called that. I was a free range parent, but didn't even know it at the time. I thought building self-sufficiency, confidence, awareness and an ability to take care of oneself was just "parenting."

O Really
Admiral

Of course, not everything done "back in the day" was better. Having no child seat requirement, I put baby son and dog into a foldable crib in the back of an MG-B and tootled along, top down, in the Texas sun. With nobody around to scare us into believing we'd birth a hunchback, Mom smoked various substances and drank adult beverages during pregnancy. Took him to the Battle of Flowers parade in '79 and got us all shot at. Let him play football for authoritarian asshole coaches. Gave him a restored '64 Mustang when he turned 16, not realizing that a 25 year old car to him was just an old 25 year old car. Overall, though, he has not only survived, but thrived and I couldn't be more proud of him and what he has done with his life. Because of or in spite of being Free Range.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Does that make them Free Range Parents?
They are called that. I was a free range parent, but didn't even know it at the time. I thought building self-sufficiency, confidence, awareness and an ability to take care of oneself was just "parenting."
I get that, but that's free range parenting. I meant that they are now twice free from Nanny Maryland's harness, just a lame joke.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I don't usually have much good to say about Utah other than they have great parks and ski slopes, but this is a good law. Ridiculous that it has to be, but helicoptering, and worse still the legal obligation to helicopter parent has gotten way out of hand.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:32 pm
I don't usually have much good to say about Utah other than they have great parks and ski slopes, but this is a good law. Ridiculous that it has to be, but helicoptering, and worse still the legal obligation to helicopter parent has gotten way out of hand.
Sometimes, not often enough, lib and con views of freedom are the same.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Some issues have no business being a right/left thing anyway.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:03 pm
Very true, the article doesn't even mention political parties. How rare is that? I can certainly see people I know on both the right and left coming down on opposite sides of this issue.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:03 pm
Unlike colluding with a foreign power to rig the election.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It gets worse than 'helicopter parents'. It's not just about safety anymore.
'Lawn mower parents' are the new 'helicopter moms'

... The writer continued to define the “lawn mower parents” as those willing to go to “whatever lengths necessary to prevent their child from having to face adversity, struggle, or failure.”

“Instead of preparing children for challenges, they mow obstacles down so kids won’t experience them in the first place,” they added....
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:03 pm
It gets worse than 'helicopter parents'. It's not just about safety anymore.
'Lawn mower parents' are the new 'helicopter moms'

... The writer continued to define the “lawn mower parents” as those willing to go to “whatever lengths necessary to prevent their child from having to face adversity, struggle, or failure.”

“Instead of preparing children for challenges, they mow obstacles down so kids won’t experience them in the first place,” they added....

This one is hard to understand, until you've seen it firsthand.
The ones I've seen (4 years teaching, plus volunteering at Elem school and coaching several youth sports while my kid was in school) appear to start out as a mom thing, left over from caring for and protecting the baby during pregnancy, along with a dad who can't make a case for learning through adversity.

This pampering extends over all colors, classes, income levels and careers. I don't really think there's more of this where I live, but it does seem more extreme, with a lot of the moms with deployed husbands doting on their kids - or the opposite, expecting them to take up some of the slack.

I walked 2 miles to mom's jr high job from my elementary in the 1st and 2nd grade. I always felt cool hanging out with the big guys while waiting for her. Mom always got upset when I showed up soaking wet after falling in the creek. Oh, and I always stopped at a grocery store with my dime - looking at each apple, before selecting the largest.
Knowing what we all know today about sexual predators, I was lucky and would never have let my kid do what I did, but it was all good for me.

I think this behavior has always been around, maybe there is an increase due to guilt about not being there more. Both parents have to work outside the home more than when I grew up.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:19 pm
... I walked 2 miles to mom's jr high job from my elementary in the 1st and 2nd grade....
:D I first read that as, "I walked 2 miles to mom's jr high from my elementary in the 1st and 2nd grade," missing the word "job". I was already trying to craft the perfect crack about southerners when I reread it.
1312. ETTD.

Leo Lyons
Ensign

Unread post by Leo Lyons »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:38 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
... I walked 2 miles to mom's jr high job from my elementary in the 1st and 2nd grade....
:D I first read that as, "I walked 2 miles to mom's jr high from my elementary in the 1st and 2nd grade," missing the word "job". I was already trying to craft the perfect crack about southerners when I reread it.
He left out "through 2 feet of snow".

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I went back and added job. She taught 8th grade English.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Leo Lyons wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:41 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
He left out "through 2 feet of snow".
I wasn't complaining or bragging. It was an hour and a half of fun and an example of the difference between the 50s and today.