Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Stop Clinic Terror
Anti-women terrorists have attacked at least 93 clinics since 1995, killing 7 people and injuring dozens of others
(map & petition to DoJ)

I've got two questions; and I'm not trying to be a smart-ass:

1 - - How is signing a petition going to stop, or even help stop abortion clinic violence? Or ensure patients safety?

2 -- Why are they called "anti-women terrorists" when it's only women who seek abortions? Why not just call them "domestic terrorists"?
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Seth Milner wrote:Stop Clinic Terror
Anti-women terrorists have attacked at least 93 clinics since 1995, killing 7 people and injuring dozens of others
(map & petition to DoJ)

1 - - How is signing a petition going to stop, or even help stop abortion clinic violence? Or ensure patients safety?

2 -- Why are they called "anti-women terrorists" when it's only women who seek abortions? Why not just call them "domestic terrorists"?
Petitions sometimes demonstrate a level of interest that might get the attention of somebody(ies) with the ability to do something. See Duke Energy response to the uproar over their cross-mountain transmission line, for example. A lot of legislators pander to their anti-abortion faction and it can't hurt to give a message that they have other constituents, too.

It's hard enough to get anybody called a "domestic terrorist" no matter what they do. I'm thinking "anti-women" is just a means of identifying they type of terrorist. But you bring up a good point. Only women get abortions. Why do men even get a vote or any power on it at all?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Seth Milner wrote:

I mostly thought the map was interesting - yay NC - and might not have shared the petition without it. Did you look?

Signing a petition doesn't do anything, but the target of the petition might do something. So, you might as well be asking, "How do federal LEO terror investigations ever stop violence or help ensure safety?" which is a silly, if not also smart-ass, question.

How is doing nothing going to stop or even help stop abortion clinic violence? Or ensure patient safety?

"Anti-women terrorists" are a subset of "domestic terrorists". What's wrong with specificity?

Additionally, though not responding to any implication in your question - since abortions are a very small part of PP's work and men are a small percentage of its patients, it's more accurate to call this "anti-women terrorism" than it would be "anti-abortion terrorism" if one considers effect more important than intent. Of course, as O Really sorta hints at, a lot of the anti-choice movement is deeply rooted in misogyny. So, they're interchangeable phrases.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote: Petitions sometimes demonstrate a level of interest that might get the attention of somebody(ies) with the ability to do something. See Duke Energy response to the uproar over their cross-mountain transmission line, for example. A lot of legislators pander to their anti-abortion faction and it can't hurt to give a message that they have other constituents, too.
I'm not saying petitions aren't effective in stirring actions; Duke is an entity that serves the public. Sending petitions to the proper LEO's may stir stronger investigations, but investigating and stopping is completely two different things.

It's hard enough to get anybody called a "domestic terrorist" no matter what they do. I'm thinking "anti-women" is just a means of identifying they type of terrorist. But you bring up a good point. Only women get abortions. Why do men even get a vote or any power on it at all?
I would guess that a father should have some say so if he's even interested. As far as male pols, if it's a volatile subject, they have to do something to make their constituents think they're doing their job.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Seth Milner wrote:I would guess that a father should have some say so if he's even interested. As far as male pols, if it's a volatile subject, they have to do something to make their constituents think they're doing their job. [/color]
[/quote]
Well sure, in a peachy world a woman would include the potential father in her decision. But I don't think it should be a legal right.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
That list doesn't include American terrorists traveling elsewhere. One group behind many of the shootings in the US (James Kopp and the Roman Catholic group "The Lambs of Christ") also crossed into Canada and shot several women's clinic doctors in the late 1990s. Including one in my home town.
I didn't know that. Y'all can have James Kopp when his life imprisonment plus 10 years sentence is complete.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

While we're on the subject of Christian terrorists - yes, an appropriate label only if you use the label "Muslim terrorists" or "Islamic terrorists":

There's also Eric Rudolph and the Christian Identity / Army of God movement. Bombing a lesbian bar, women's clinics and the 1996 Summer Olympics with dynamite surrounded by nails, as Jesus commanded.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's a much longer tally than that.

Here's an incomplete list of white, male (often Christian, I'm too lazy to sort) con domestic terrorism (the majority of attacks we've had) since the 1970s:

Army of God, Eric Robert Rudolph, Centennial Olympic Park bombing
Aryan Nations
Klan, Michael Donald
The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord
Jewish Defense League
The Order
Phineas Priesthood
Oklahoma City bombing
Anti-abortion violence: David Gunn (murdered by Michael F. Griffin), John Britton and James Barrett (victims of Reverend Paul Jennings Hill), Shannon Lowney and Lee Ann Nichols (killed by John Salvi), James Kopp killed at least one, Scott Roeder killed George Tiller
Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting
Andrew Joseph Stack
Overland Park Jewish Community Center shooting
Jerad and Amanda Miller
Larry Steven McQuilliams
2011 January 17: Spokane Bombing attempt
Knoxville Unitarian Universalist church shooting
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting
Jewish Defenders
Jewish Direct Action
Richard White, devout Jehovah’s Witness
Dylann Roof
2015 arson attacks at Planned Parenthood clinics in New Orleans, Louisiana; Pullman, Washington; Thousand Oaks, California; and Aurora, Illinois
Robert Lewis Dear, Jr.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Salon: In Texas, a 12 year old Sikh boy was arrested for "terrorism", jailed for three days, has to wear ankle bracelet, over a SOLAR CHARGER.

According to a Facebook post by Sarai's cousin, "A bully in class thought it would be funny to accuse him of having a bomb, and so the principal, without any questioning, interrogation, or notification to his parents, called the police."

Police have charged Sarai with a terrorism-related offense (translation from Texas-ese: "Owning electronics while brown"), and though he is out of jail, he has to wear a locator cuff on his ankle.

And it gets worse.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

... Why did the Arlington police hold a twelve-year-old boy with a heart condition for three days without alerting his parents? ...
I'll take the civil case for 10% rather than the usual 25-35% lawyers get, and I'll win it.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Strike Two for Pair of New York Times Reporters

Today, FBI director James Comey said the San Bernardino shooters never talked openly about violent jihadism on social media: "So far, in this investigation we have found no evidence of posting on social media by either of them at that period in time and thereafter reflecting their commitment to jihad or to martyrdom. I've seen some reporting on that, and that's a garble."

So where did this notion come from, anyway? The answer is a New York Times story on Sunday headlined "U.S. Visa Process Missed San Bernardino Wife's Zealotry on Social Media." It told us that Tashfeen Malik "talked openly" on social media about jihad and that, "Had the authorities found the posts years ago, they might have kept her out of the country." The story was written by Matt Apuzzo, Michael Schmidt, and Julia Preston....
This is the first I've heard that the social media claim was debunked. The lie sure got lots of attention.
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Yes, Seth. Starbucks didn't put pagan holiday symbols on their cups this year, therefore Christmas is under attack.

:roll:

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:Yes, Seth. Starbucks didn't put pagan holiday symbols on their cups this year, therefore Christmas is under attack.
....................... 0:-?> ...........................

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

You brought the stupid with you.

Do you honestly believe that your cartoon is something that happens in real life?

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:You brought the stupid with you.
I didn't see you; where were you?
Do you honestly believe that your cartoon is something that happens in real life?
You did? It sure got your shit in a snit, didn't it! It's a cartoon, you poor offended little child. Have another cup of coffee, or a joint, or whatever it is that keeps you stabilized.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:You brought the stupid with you.

Do you honestly believe that ...
Ah, the start of so, so many posts to Seth Milner.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:You did? It sure got your shit in a snit, didn't it! It's a cartoon, you poor offended little child. Have another cup of coffee, or a joint, or whatever it is that keeps you stabilized.
Ah, your Schrödinger's Douchebag routine. Post something offensively stupid, and then wait to see how people react to decide whether you were just joking.