Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:50 am
Your examples are inappropriate.
I disagree.
Vrede too wrote:
The petitions I post request meaningful action by the targets, unlike gas boycott days or lights off for an hour. Plus, those are more calls for collective action rather than true petitions.
The actions by Sleeping Giants are an good example. With real results. And yet you were quite dismissive of them. The online petition you reference in response is just Yet Another Online Petition.
Vrede too wrote:
You also ducked my implied challenge to enlighten us with what kind of oh so superior activism you're doing instead.
I give $30 each paycheque to cancer research. Which may not sound like much, but it's steady and adds up over the years. With the Canada Revenue Agency (our IRS) seeing it and adding it to their stats, it's like signing a petition AND backing it with money, when the government looks at what its citizens consider to be priorities.

And I give to other causes. Like the scouts collecting for veterans' PTSD in front of the grocery store last week. I gave $200 to help fight Techdirt's legal battle. I give a buck to the EFF each time I renew EasyNews. (Also for fighting IP battles. Sell a man a fish and the fee will feed you for a day. Declare ownership of the lake, and he'll be feeding you for a lifetime. Fighting against that process may be the single most important way to help the poor in this age.)

Not to mention little details like helping to put my step-daughter through university. Over $40,000 so far.

Sure, it's not physical help. As a programmer with very little spare time and no car, the money is my most efficient contribution possible. For others it's different, whether it's Sleeping Giants style actions or something more physical. All are better than Yet Another Online Petition.

BTW, one problem with modern media, at least here in Winnipeg: There are marches that I'd happily join. Events that I'd happily attend. They get reported AFTER the fact and ONLY after the fact. It seems that if you're not part of the university crowd, you'll never find out about them.

I run off posters by the thousands for a friend who runs goth events. Apparently they get posted around the universities and various hip, trendy places. I've never seen one posted, because they're not where I go.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:14 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Your examples are inappropriate.
I disagree.

I described exactly how they have no relation to the petitions I post. You're just saying, 'Uh-uh."

The actions by Sleeping Giants are an good example. With real results. And yet you were quite dismissive of them. The online petition you reference in response is just Yet Another Online Petition.

I wasn't dismissive, goofball, and it's not "just Yet Another Online Petition" if it's the only one a company receives.
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:48 am
... My guess is that the oddly anonymous Sleeping Giants would be the first to say that their work is amplified not just by their own 73,000 followers, re-tweets and new tweets, but also by the allied groups working on the the same issue doing research, organizing, petitions and other tactics. In fact, in your link Sleeping Giants cites a Buzzfeed article that says:
... A viral petition on the activism site SumOfUs.org titled “Amazon: Stop Investing in Hate” has collected over 311,000 signatures.
It's now at 589,606 signatures (Buzzfeed embeds a link for anyone that wants to sign). Rather than being "Yet Another Online Petition", I'll bet that the Liarbart issue is the only petition that many of these advertisers are receiving.
Vrede too wrote:
... I often post victories on a variety of issues that involved petitions. You've got no evidence that the petitions didn't contribute to the result.
It's goofy to claim that petitions are nothing while tweets are "something". They're essentially the same thing except that tweets are often anonymous and usually don't say where the tweeter lives....
It's not "dismissive" to say that one tactic is "essentially the same" as a tactic that I promote. Pay attention.

I give $30 each paycheque to cancer research. Which may not sound like much, but it's steady and adds up over the years. With the Canada Revenue Agency (our IRS) seeing it and adding it to their stats, it's like signing a petition AND backing it with money, when the government looks at what its citizens consider to be priorities.

And I give to other causes. Like the scouts collecting for veterans' PTSD in front of the grocery store last week. I gave $200 to help fight Techdirt's legal battle. I give a buck to the EFF each time I renew EasyNews. (Also for fighting IP battles. Sell a man a fish and the fee will feed you for a day. Declare ownership of the lake, and he'll be feeding you for a lifetime. Fighting against that process may be the single most important way to help the poor in this age.)

Not to mention little details like helping to put my step-daughter through university. Over $40,000 so far.

Good for you, but donating and helping family, which I also do, is hardly activism.
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:48 am
My experience has been that people that sneer at activists, "You should be doing _______ tactic or cause, instead," aren't doing anything....
Bingo.

Sure, it's not physical help. As a programmer with very little spare time and no car, the money is my most efficient contribution possible. For others it's different, whether it's Sleeping Giants style actions or something more physical. All are better than Yet Another Online Petition.

BTW, one problem with modern media, at least here in Winnipeg: There are marches that I'd happily join. Events that I'd happily attend. They get reported AFTER the fact and ONLY after the fact. It seems that if you're not part of the university crowd, you'll never find out about them....

The media being lame on activism is nothing new, but it's easy to get on the mailing lists of groups you might support someday with your physical presence. Can't blame the media for your lack of involvement.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Anti-Muslim terror in London yesterday, no different from Islamist terror. :(
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Video shows woman demand a 'white doctor' treat son at Mississauga, Ont., clinic

More Trump Effect. Now, even rednecks in the Great White North are feeling empowered to be racist dicks in public.
Sorry 'bout that, Canada- most of us didn't vote for the moronic asshole.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Boatrocker wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm
Now, even rednecks in the Great White North are feeling empowered to be racist dicks in public.
It's usually Scott. He's a dick.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

rstrong wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:02 pm
Boatrocker wrote:
Now, even rednecks in the Great White North are feeling empowered to be racist dicks in public.
It's usually Scott. He's a dick.
I've heard of him.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"Scott"?
Boatrocker wrote:
Video shows woman demand a 'white doctor' treat son at Mississauga, Ont., clinic

More Trump Effect. Now, even rednecks in the Great White North are feeling empowered to be racist dicks in public.
Sorry 'bout that, Canada- most of us didn't vote for the moronic asshole.
Haven't seen that in my career. I would not cave in and I think it's hospital policy not to cave in. Some rare patients prefer a nurse of their own gender, but that's cool given how intimate some things are. We try to accommodate.
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

More of Binky's wingnuttery:

Blue Ridge Debate
Latest Trump Tweet:
"We're all thinking of you @SteveScalise! #TeamScalise https://t.co/Yqf6exhm7x "

(Liked by 22223 idiots.)

Maybe Binky preferred he had died.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm
Stop corporate funders of hate groups

The big payment processing companies - Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover - are processing funds for some of the vilest white supremacist groups.

White supremacist hubs like Stormfront are able to easily receive funding from their members because these companies are allowing them too. And thanks to transaction fees, these companies are making money every time someone donates to these hate groups....
This might have been simpler a year ago. But now...
rstrong wrote:Anne Frank Center Calls For Resignation of Trump Adviser Sebastian Gorka

Gorka is one of the Brietbarters that Trump took with him to the White House, where he serves as "counter-terrorism adviser." He's also a non-metaphorical Nazi.
...Between Gorka, Bannon, Trump and others, the big payment processing companies would have to stop processing payments for the Republican Party.
FBI Fired Sebastian Gorka for Anti-Muslim Diatribes
Trump confidant Sebastian Gorka was taking money from the FBI—and declaring that the fight against Islamic radicals was ‘a holy war on our side,’ too.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:20 pm
rstrong wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:21 pm
...Between Gorka, Bannon, Trump and others, the big payment processing companies would have to stop processing payments for the Republican Party.
FBI Fired Sebastian Gorka for Anti-Muslim Diatribes
Trump confidant Sebastian Gorka was taking money from the FBI—and declaring that the fight against Islamic radicals was ‘a holy war on our side,’ too.
So the FBI fired him, and the Republican White House still employs him.

Meanwhile....

Take a Look at Trump’s Energy Appointee’s Deleted Tweets About Blacks, Jews and Women 

At least unlike Gorka he's only a metaphorical Nazi. Republican administration good news.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Gotdang. How about that new NRA advertisement? Jesus fuck.

I like me some guns. I own several. But to hell with this. Fear sells. Hillary lost and so fell those firearm sales. Need to stoke those hot coals into flames, I guess.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

From the Urban Dictionary:

Broflake: Straight white male offended by any feminist or ethnic activity which is not directly designed for him.

Kyle: "How come there's no Straight Pride parade"?
Me: OMG you're such a delicate little broflake.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Consider the sheer amount of idiocy:

Being a RWNJ in the first place.
Getting so butthurt as to create "a Facebook page for a fake Antifa group".
Inventing a demo that only idiot RWNJs would believe.
"desecrate Confederate graves ... there are no Confederate gravestones at Gettysburg"
Being one of the gullible RWNJs to believe and counter-protest, ummm, nothing.
Showing up with "an old gun, not in good working order."
Firing your gun by resting "a (probable slaver) flag pole on the holster."
Needing a tourniquet for the wound.

Wow. I don't think that I'm creative enough to be so stupid if I tried.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I know firearms sometimes do get "accidenally" (read somehow negligently) fired, but I always wonder about the details of just how that happened. I'm guessing his "old" firearm wasn't a revolver, unless he was carrying it around cocked, which this guy was probably stupid enough to do. So if it was a semi-auto, he would have been carrying it around in his pocket holster racked to fire without the safety on. Also probably within the stupidity of this guy. I'm not sure the eugenics people should have been put out of business.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I wouldn't know, but the article says:
Hornberger, who was carrying a revolver in a gun holster on his leg, rested a flag pole on the holster. This caused the gun to go off, shooting him in the leg according to the Patriot-News. Police had to wrap a tourniquet around the man’s leg. The gun went off a second time as police attempted to unload the weapon.
If accurate, that's pretty bad when experts can't even unload the gun safely.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Thanks - I missed where it said it was a revolver. So add to the list of really stupid things carrying around (or owning) a seriously defective weapon. Of course, "seriously defective" describes the guy, too.