Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:
Tue May 16, 2017 12:18 am
The Root: Cloudflare Secretly Gave White Supremacists Their Critics’ Contact Info for Years
Matthew Prince, Cloudflare’s CEO, didn’t think there was anything wrong with his company’s practice. “A website is speech. It is not a bomb,” he wrote, defending his firm’s stance. “There is no imminent danger it creates, and no provider has an affirmative obligation to monitor and make determinations about the theoretically harmful nature of speech a site may contain.”

Prince believes this even though the neo-Nazi founder of the Daily Stormer, Andrew Anglin, has publicly stated: “We need to make it clear to all of these people that there are consequences for messing with us. ... We are not a bunch of babies to be kicked around. We will take revenge. And we will do it now.”
Internet firms shift stance, move to exile white supremacists

Cloudflare CEO on Terminating Service to Neo-Nazi Site: 'The Daily Stormer Are Assholes'

Team:

Earlier today Cloudflare terminated the account of the Daily Stormer. We’ve stopped proxying their traffic and stopped answering DNS requests for their sites. We’ve taken measures to ensure that they cannot sign up for Cloudflare’s services again.

This was my decision. Our terms of service reserve the right for us to terminate users of our network at our sole discretion. My rationale for making this decision was simple: the people behind the Daily Stormer are assholes and I’d had enough....

University of Texas removes Confederate statues

:---P
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Just a little reminder from Feb. 2013:
rstrong wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 am
NASA's 'Mohawk Guy,' Systems Engineer Bobak Ferdowsi, will be sitting with the First Lady at the State of the Union address.

The Republicans are bringing delusional, racist, pedophile, draft dodging, illegal hunting, fear mongering chickenhawk of a talentless has-been musician Ted Nugent. They hail him for being a patriot and upholding American values.
Nugent would fit right in with the racists in Charlottesville. Complete with the claims of persecution. (April 2012: "If Barack Obama becomes the President again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year.")

This is where Republicans were BEFORE Trump.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

rstrong wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:25 pm
Just a little reminder from Feb. 2013:
rstrong wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:08 am
NASA's 'Mohawk Guy,' Systems Engineer Bobak Ferdowsi, will be sitting with the First Lady at the State of the Union address.

The Republicans are bringing delusional, racist, pedophile, draft dodging, illegal hunting, fear mongering chickenhawk of a talentless has-been musician Ted Nugent. They hail him for being a patriot and upholding American values.
Nugent would fit right in with the racists in Charlottesville. Complete with the claims of persecution. (April 2012: "If Barack Obama becomes the President again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year.")

This is where Republicans were BEFORE Trump.

this may have already been posted, but the fox BFFs gave the draft dodging pedophile nugent a full hour a couple days ago

but the Missouri Democratic Party and U.S. Sen. Claire McCaskill call Sen. Maria Chappelle-Nadal to resign for saying, “I hope Trump is assassinated.”

there may be a difference in the dems and the repugs
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It was a pretty stupid thing for a pol to post to facebook. That said, I hope Trump is assassinated or otherwise leaves office. Mostly otherwise, assassination would get him remembered better than he deserves.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:03 pm
That said, I hope Trump is assassinated
Oh, I hope not. That would mean endless revisionist history about how great he was, every claim about his own greatness considered true, because how dare you speak ill of the dead. It would mean endless claims about how his path to Making America Great Again was cut short.

It would mean having to listening to eulogies by Paul Ryan, Hillary Clinton and others about his greatness and vision.

It would mean having to listening to conspiracy theories about how Paul Ryan, Hillary Clinton and others had him assassinated.

It would mean an increase by two orders of magnitude in the number of monuments to him and schools and other things named after him.

He'd be JFK cranked up to 11.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's not something I say lightly and I agree with you that, "assassination would get him remembered better than he deserves." Rather, it's an indication of how bad I think things are and that almost anything would be better. After all, famously levelheaded Canadians are saying things like:
:D
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:52 pm
It's not something I say lightly and I agree with you that, "assassination would get him remembered better than he deserves." Rather, it's an indication of how bad I think things are and that almost anything would be better. After all, famously levelheaded Canadians are saying things like:
:D

Prison and bankruptcy would be best

That said, Wallace spent a lot of time reflecting his past.
But I can't imagine trump would.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:32 pm
Prison and bankruptcy would be best
Pence would pardon him.

Probably while trying to ensure that Trump stays out of politics and doesn't split the vote with his own Trump/Tea Party.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

My preference would be humiliated resignation, partly because I think prison is so unlikely. "25th for 45th" would be nice and even more humiliating, but I think it would be messy and possibly harmful to other mentally ill folks.

Anti-Defamation League donations spiked 1,000% after Charlottesville

The reichwing fund-raises for Jews. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Yo, O Realy. Remember Silent Sam?
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

k9nanny wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 pm
Yo, O Really. Remember Silent Sam?
How could he forget? It got him extra credit in History, PoliSci and Art.
April 8, 1968

Silent Sam is splashed with paint and tagged with graffiti as demonstrations erupt around the country following the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. ...

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Protests and talk is great, but ...

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2017 ... t-violence

"Protesters are eager to expend extraordinary energy denouncing these small-scale racist actors, or celebrating vigilante-style responses. But what about the large-scale racist actors? There has been no comparable mobilization, in fact little mobilization at all, against what Martin Luther King called “the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today”—the United States government, which dropped 72 bombs per day in 2016, primarily in Iraq and Syria, but also in Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan, making every single day 9/11 in those countries"

"Over the years I have come to see more and more of what Adolph Reed calls “posing as politics.” Rather than organizing for change, individuals seek to enact a statement about their own righteousness."

"The white nationalists who marched in Charlottesville, hate-filled and repugnant as their goals may be, are not the ones responsible for the U.S. wars on Iraq, Syria, and Yemen. They are not responsible for turning our public school system over to private corporations. They are not responsible for our separate and unequal health care system that consigns people of color to ill health and early death. They are not the ones foreclosing and evicting people of color from their homes. They are not the authors of neoliberal capitalism with its devastating effects on the poor around the planet. They are not the ones militarizing the borders to enforce global apartheid. They are not behind the extraction and burning of fossil fuels that is destroying the planet, with the poor and people of color the first to lose their homes and livelihoods."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm totally with her on the issues and goals, but I'm not sure why she goes out of her way to cast things in either-or terms. Aviva Chomsky's father, the amazing Noam, has had the same vision for at least 50 years. However, people pick their fights for lots of reasons and part of that calculus is their estimations of what is winnable. For example, we eventually got out of Vietnam and have seen some reductions in nuclear weapons, but regardless of tactics we've done little to stem obscene US militarism and the use of nukes is still discussed almost casually. We elected seemingly about as progressive a POTUS as we can hope for in Obama and his steps on the things she cites were modest at best. Then, we got the worst candidate possible, and elected him. I'm all for organizing for revolution and will probably keep doing so for the rest of my life, but I don't see the point in criticizing those that literally and figuratively take the time to beat up some Nazis in the meantime.
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

Thought provoking.
I do think it's unfair, labeling protests as displays of righteousness with no outcome.
Americans are frustrated by the politicians who brush us off like so much lint on their expensive suits, and Trump got elected because he made his fans feel like somebody. Besides voting, what is there other than demonstrating? Letters generally get rote responses. Phone calls get you a check mark in the yay or nay column. Even voting is minimally effective when so many don't.

Money, money, money. NC's "bathroom" bill wasn't changed because of our outrage, it was the threat of losing money.

As far as war and healthcare, what do we do?
Protests and demonstrations call attention. It's not exactly like we can all boycott pharmaceutical manufacturers and insurance companies, but we can replace the lawmakers who receive money from them ... if we can find replacements for them.

Just rambling.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Besides, with BLM, women's activism thanks to Dolt .45, LGBTQ victories, the Fight for $15, the climate change organizing and other efforts, we do have folks working their tails off for the larger changes she wants. For some reason, Aviva Chomsky chose not to mention this. It almost feels like she would criticize me for saving the life of an MI victim at 3 am on a busy night because I was distracted from working for single payer.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 am
I'm totally with her on the issues and goals, but I'm not sure why she goes out of her way to cast things in either-or terms. Aviva Chomsky's father, the amazing Noam, has had the same vision for at least 50 years. However, people pick their fights for lots of reasons and part of that calculus is their estimations of what is winnable. For example, we eventually got out of Vietnam and have seen some reductions in nuclear weapons, but regardless of tactics we've done little to stem obscene US militarism and the use of nukes is still discussed almost casually. We elected seemingly about as progressive a POTUS as we can hope for in Obama and his steps on the things she cites were modest at best. Then, we got the worst candidate possible, and elected him. I'm all for organizing for revolution and will probably keep doing so for the rest of my life, but I don't see the point in criticizing those that literally and figuratively take the time to beat up some Nazis in the meantime.
Agreed, agree and agree, but it does seem like we are losing the war.

From Reagan through the centerest Clinton, war starter cheney to center right Obama to this - I'm beginning to think monster - whatever he is, we are the evil empire to tens of millions of people.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Agreed, and I don't know what it would take to win it, but dissing the anti-nazis doesn't feel like it'll help.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

k9nanny wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:51 pm
Yo, O Realy. Remember Silent Sam?
Of course, but as you know, Silent Sam has nothing to do with the Civil War. His job was to remain vigilant until a virgin walked past at which time he'd fire his gun. Thus the name "Silent." And since nobody wanted to hear a statue fire a gun, great effort was made to assure that no virgin came anywhere close. :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:03 am
Agreed, and I don't know what it would take to win it, but dissing the anti-nazis doesn't feel like it'll help.

is there anything planned for DC on labor day? I haven't stood in front of the WH and flipped off the president since 2004.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:08 am
is there anything planned for DC on labor day? I haven't stood in front of the WH and flipped off the president since 2004.
You linked the only thing I've heard of so far. Will you be in DC? I'll post if I hear of something.
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:15 am
http://www.thedailybeast.com/resistance ... -contained

1. Impeachment March

Labor Day should bring the largest peaceful marches in American history, all focused on legally removing Trump from office....
First I've heard of it and I'm on a bunch of lefty lists. Maybe it's because I'm not on Dem lists.
There's this nearly 2 weeks later:

Join the flotilla for environment & peace in front of the Pentagon on Sept. 16, 2017
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.