Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Unread post by O Really »

Here's the film - but beware, it's not that great.
https://www.snagfilms.com/films/title/black_like_me

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Tweens or teens for me. It was pretty close to current events rather than history. :(

Sad that we haven't yet evolved further.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 am
Tweens or teens for me. It was pretty close to current events rather than history. :(

Sad that we haven't yet evolved further.
There has been a lot of change. Change is slow and context is everything.

I don't remember the name, but there was another similar book written at about the same time. It was set in one of the rural Alabama counties where I lived during my early hippie days. Our 10+/- acre "farm" was in Talapoosa and Chambers counties.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 am
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:09 am
... Sad that we haven't yet evolved further.
There has been a lot of change....
Agreed, but:
JTA wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:24 pm
... The biggest one is the NFL player's kneeling in protest of police brutality, and the subsequent reaction by white NFL fans.

The attitude that's persisted: They're trying to stir up trouble. Have no respect for X, Y and Z. They should be grateful for what they have.

It's really eye opening!
In an alternate universe racism wouldn't be as prevalent as it still is 56 years after Black Like Me was published.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:11 pm
I once read an article about how many Civil War veterans married "sweet young things" late in life, especially in the south. Leading to a great many Civil War widows being around in the late 20th century. The last, Maudie Hopkins, died in 2008 . The 21st century.
It's possible that Trump will have a fourth wife, and that she'll be collecting a pension from the taxpayers into the 22nd century.

But first you'll have to deal with Trump-related 2010s nostalgia in the late 2030s.

Sorry.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:38 pm
It's possible that Trump will have a fourth wife, and that she'll be collecting a pension from the taxpayers into the 22nd century.

But first you'll have to deal with Trump-related 2010s nostalgia in the late 2030s.

Sorry.
Welcome back! Funny, a poster PMed me just this morning asking about you. Were your ears burning?

Does resignation or impeachment and conviction invalidate the pension?
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 pm
Welcome back! Funny, a poster PMed me just this morning asking about you. Were your ears burning?
GoCubsGo PM'd me, and the forum sent an email notification.

Sorry; it's been really busy here. And the further I get behind on the board, the longer it takes to get caught up.

(And then last night after I made the above post and went to catch up, I tried to put on some music. The server appliance with all my music and ebooks had drive failure. Luckily it has mirrored drives, and another offsite backup is in progress.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:51 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 pm
GoCubsGo PM'd me, and the forum sent an email notification.

Bet he didn't tell me that it was my idea to PM you, though it didn't occur to me that you have email notifications turned on. I just wondered if you might lurk. Instead, he's letting me credit him for awesome mojo in making you appear within 18 hours just by thinking of you. :oII :lol:

Sorry; it's been really busy here. And the further I get behind on the board, the longer it takes to get caught up.

POSPOTUS sucks, the Dems are lame, sexual abuse is bad, the planet is dying, cops kill and get away with it, Mr.B/homerfobe is an asshole. There, you're caught up. :D

(And then last night after I made the above post and went to catch up, I tried to put on some music. The server appliance with all my music and ebooks had drive failure. Luckily it has mirrored drives, and another offsite backup is in progress.)

You're an anal retentive geek. There, we're caught up. :P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:56 am
Complaint: Airport bomb suspect wanted 'to fight a war on US soil'

It doesn't say what kind of "war" Michael Christopher Estes wanted, but I feel pretty comfortable adding him to my list, reposted here for your debates with Islamophobes and reichwingers.

Here's an incomplete list of white, male (often Christian) con domestic terrorism (the majority of attacks we've had) since the early 1990s: ...
Update:

Man pleads guilty to bringing explosives to Asheville airport

“FOR GOD & COUNTRY”
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:56 am
Complaint: Airport bomb suspect wanted 'to fight a war on US soil'

It doesn't say what kind of "war" Michael Christopher Estes wanted, but I feel pretty comfortable adding him to my list, reposted here for your debates with Islamophobes and reichwingers.

Here's an incomplete list of white, male (often Christian) con domestic terrorism (the majority of attacks we've had) since the early 1990s: ...
Update:

Man pleads guilty to bringing explosives to Asheville airport

“FOR GOD & COUNTRY”

Is the maximum 5 year sentence for a terrorist setting a bomb in a airport a for whites only penalty?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 am
Is the maximum 5 year sentence for a terrorist setting a bomb in a airport a for whites only penalty?
I wonder about that, too.

"The maximum penalty for unlawful possession of explosive material at an airport is five years in prison and a $250,000 fine."

That would fit a forgetful self-loader that has packaged black powder without a detonator. I would have thought that there are applicable laws with the words 'bomb', 'terror' or 'terrorism' in them.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

The gun nuts have truly won. They've beaten everybody down in numbness until a school shooting such as the one in Paducah (15th so far just in 2018), is reported about the same as a traffic accident or garden variety crime. Any event that occurs so frequently can't possibly sustain a high level of outrage or energy necessary to force changes. We're doomed.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 am
The gun nuts have truly won. They've beaten everybody down in numbness until a school shooting such as the one in Paducah (15th so far just in 2018), is reported about the same as a traffic accident or garden variety crime.
That's just the marginally sane gun nuts. The rest tell eveyrone that the shooting never happened; that it was a false flag incident created by the Democrats. Then both groups declare that the Democrats are going to use it to take eveyrone's guns away. And they get a spike in gun sales.

O Really
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:38 am

That's just the marginally sane gun nuts. The rest tell eveyrone that the shooting never happened; that it was a false flag incident created by the Democrats. Then both groups declare that the Democrats are going to use it to take eveyrone's guns away. And they get a spike in gun sales.
Sadly, that's no longer even an exaggeration.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sons of Confederate Veterans want to raise flags in every NC county along I-40

Pathetic, but at least the slackers are raising their participation trophies on private land.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So if your great-granddad was a daily delivery train driver to Auschwitz, you could fly the Nazi flag and say with a straight face that your flying the flag was only to honor your heritage and had nothing to do with anti-semitism. And that you thought it was a good idea to honor the "heritage" of a guy who drove thousands to their deaths. Right. That's the ticket.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

As I wrote before....
rstrong wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:25 am
The British in India were faced with the practice of "suttee" - the tradition of burning widows on the funeral pyres of their husbands.

Gen. Sir Charles Napier was impeccably multicultural: "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: When men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks, and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

Anyone who makes the "heritage" argument for keeping Confederate monuments should be reminded that American heritage includes war against Confederates and Nazis. "You can celebrate your heritage by building monuments to Confederate generals in public places. And then we will celebrate ours by destroying them."