Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Guns, race, religion, terror, wingnut thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:11 pm
[
If you're sure that it helps the cause of defeating them in the long term and making us a better society, I'm good with that. Eyes on the prize.
Certainly no guarantees, but it would be a better society without them. It is a better world without the German Nazis, and they waited too long to take them out. It would be a better world without ISIS. Speaking of which, why can you get jailed for 'supporting" ISIS and get a free pass to be a Nazi? Who is more dangerous to the US, really?

O Really
Admiral

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mad ... e191393a4a

Charlottesville showed that liberalism can’t defeat white supremacy. Only direct action can.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Oh please let trump find out.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Pay Pal involvement with domestic terrorism?

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... rce=EOACLK

Even help out my bud, August Invictus who as candidate for senate for the Florida republican Party is best known for his botched slaughter of a goat and subsequently drinking its blood.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm not sure if Charlottesville already has a plan, but it would be fitting if it replaced the Lee statue with one of murdered Heather Heyer.

Tell traditional corporate media outlets, including the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS and NBC:

“Stop sanitizing and normalizing white supremacists and Nazis. Stop using the term 'alt-right.'”
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I've tried to stay out of this, but the consequence of bestowing victimhood may be a cure worse than the problem.

These statues are mostly from the race problems with Nazis and kkk and Jim crow and John birch and John Kellogg and eugenics and ... from more than 50 years after the war. They are monuments to intimidation, not monuments to the individuals depicted.

Create larger truthful historical monuments side by side to each and every one explaining why they were built and belittling the assholes who put them there.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am
... Create larger truthful historical monuments side by side to each and every one explaining why they were built and belittling the assholes who put them there.
Abe Lincoln and/or MLK, Jr. statues stomping on them?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:24 am
Oh dear God no:

Juggalos Will March on Washington in September
There are already plans for an Antijugga counter demonstration made up mostly of Lawrence Welk fans. They're old and slow, but they're miltant and don't give a damn. Grey Lives Matter!
Last edited by Vrede too on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

We've been having problems up here with the militant wing of the Salvation Army.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I don't mind the bell ringing, but it sucks when they hit you with them.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

rstrong wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:06 pm
We've been having problems up here with the militant wing of the Salvation Army.

They constantly impead my access to stores in the fall. Is it okay to run them down in North Carolina?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

AntiSAs unite!

No Bells
No Kettles
No SA USA! (or Canada)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:02 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am
... Create larger truthful historical monuments side by side to each and every one explaining why they were built and belittling the assholes who put them there.
Abe Lincoln and/or MLK, Jr. statues stomping on them?

Works for me, but still not as good as some real history about slavery throughout our country and maybe even some celebration of the men who were so conflicted about honor and loyalty more than politics and idealogy.

But most importantly that the when and why these monuments were erected in the 1930s had little or nothing to do with the generals or the war and everything to do with with racists and kkk types demanding that blacks keep their place as 2nd class servants. The kkk marching through the streets of DC, NYC and other large cities during this time is proof.

Daddy can show his kid the statue of the general, but he can't stop the kid from reading the history if it is right there, unless we hide it in museums and history books and let daddy give the kid a one click stormfront link.

Oh, and didn't General Lee immediately free the slaves he inherited, while General Grant or Sherman kept his on? Nothing is ever black and white.

If we admit that humanity progresses with time, we cannot judge those before us by our standards. Hitler was an evil puke during his time. I can't say I feel the same way about Washington, Madison and Jefferson. They were of their time, as was Robert E. Lee of his.

I've always seen Lee as admirable. He even lobbied against Confederate monuments after the war. Too bad we didn't have his counsel in the 1930s.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I make the distinctions between which ones were traitors that fought to preserve slavery rather than personal attributes.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:36 pm
I make the distinctions between which ones were traitors that fought to preserve slavery rather than personal attributes.
Makes it tough to admire too much real history and the complexities of the past we grew out of.

Cartoons of history fit to easily on the bumper sticker slogans of idiots like Reagan and fox scrolls and alerts. I prefer the truth.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:44 pm
I prefer the truth.
They say that a lie can travel half-way around the world before the truth can get it's pants on. Why did the truth have its pants off?

O Really
Admiral

I think Lee mostly looked good in the uniform and on a fine horse.
He wasn't really qualified to be a General (not that there were stringent qualifications in the Confederate Army), and wasn't particularly good at it. If he hadn't had the totally incompetent McClelland on the other side, he'd have been totally done at Antietam. He was a poor strategist, surprise victory at Chancellorsville notwithstanding. He had no particular compelling reason to fight on the slaver side, considering that almost half of the army officers from Virginia opted to remain with the Union, and including some of his own family. His leadership got a lot of people killed unnecessarily. But legends have grown to giant proportions from less, I guess.