Trump

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Trump

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
rstrong wrote:Good thing I didn't vote for Hillary.
I did, in the general. I don't recall you saying who you would have voted for in the primaries if you could have.
I would have voted Bernie in the primaries. Though Hillary was certainly experienced and competent and wouldn't have been a bad alternative.

I could have even have voted for a Republican, had they had someone experienced and competent. (OK, Jeb! was experienced and competent. But we don't find the skeletons in his closet only because of all the skeletons piled up in front of the door. He's disqualified several times over.)

In the election, voting for Hillary over Trump was a no-brainer.
Vrede too wrote:I do understand that you may have had to go with homeboy Ted Cruz. :P
Ugh. I’d wiped that from my memory. Time to do so again. (Grabs icepick)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ted Cruz Canada :lol: - Too many excellent pics to choose just one.

The no-brainers voted for Trump.
rstrong wrote:... wouldn't have been a bad alternative....
That phrase has taken on a whole new meaning since 1/20/17.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Speaking of phrases. The orange shithead has coined a new phrase for us to use. Seems that he is the originator of the brand new phrase no one has ever used before "prime the pump"

Who knew?

http://www.economist.com/Trumptranscript

But beyond that it’s OK if the tax plan increases the deficit?
It is OK, because it won’t increase it for long. You may have two years where you’ll…you understand the expression “prime the pump”?
Yes.
We have to prime the pump.
It’s very Keynesian.
We’re the highest-taxed nation in the world. Have you heard that expression before, for this particular type of an event?
Priming the pump?
Yeah, have you heard it?
Yes.
Have you heard that expression used before? Because I haven’t heard it. I mean, I just…I came up with it a couple of days ago and I thought it was good. It’s what you have to do.
It’s…
Yeah, what you have to do is you have to put something in before you can get something out."

Is there anything he won't lie about?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"I came up with it a couple of days ago" - :roll: :lol:

It's extremely likely that silver spoon Trump has never primed a real pump in his life, and his often proven failure 'trickle down' policies won't do so now. Want an actual model for economic success and fiscal responsibility - ask Bill and Barack.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:"I came up with it a couple of days ago" - :roll: :lol:

It's extremely likely that silver spoon Trump has never primed a real pump in his life, and his often proven failure 'trickle down' policies won't do so now. Want an actual model for economic success and fiscal responsibility - ask Bill and Barack.

Ask FDR

or Bernie
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/stat ... 51039.html
Merriam-Webster‏ Verified account
@MerriamWebster 6h

The phrase 'priming the pump' dates to the early 19th century.

'Pump priming' has been used to refer to government investment expenditures since at least 1933.

Not sure where a word or phrase comes from? Look it up.
What is the word for someone who takes credit for inventing a phrase that already existed? Asking for a friend :P
Liar is one. Plagiarist is another.
When you're close to despair, it's cheering to reflect that a dictionary is among those championing the republic.
Those old pumps aren't made anymore. These are special new pumps. They're amazing. Just amazing. Believe me when I tell you, they're great.
:lol:
I love that @MerriamWebster keeps schooling trump on words and phrases. Making the dictionary great again! :lol:
Who are you going to believe? A Dictionary (that sounds like dictator anyway) or Trump? I mean Trump sounds like triumph so obvs Trump.
I love you, Merriam-Webster.
we laugh, but anyone else says this and the answer is, "sure grandpa, now go sit in the corner and drink your juice."
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I thought lil bush explaining everyday common expressions as he used them showed that he wasn't familiar with the phrase and had to have the expression explained to him.
"We have to work 24/7, that's 24 hours a day 7 days a week", or any of the other times he explained his phrases, but never once did he ever take credit for originating the common phrases.
He did originate many variations of common phrases.

Trump is an idiot, but he does sincerely believe that he is the smartest person in the world - and super healthy too.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

rstrong wrote:
O Really wrote:Even his Republican toadies don't really have much if anything to gain from him and surely would rather have Pence or any other standard right-winger.
I disagree. Trump is useful to them. They can gut healthcare, gut environmental protections, gut education, end taxes for the rich.... and blame it all on Trump. They wrote Bush II and his legacy out of history in 2008 and 2012. And if someone else mentioned him, well, "Bush wasn't really a Republican."

Trump lets them avoid the political consequences of anything they do.
In one theory, maybe, but the House isn't doing very well on getting much done, and aren't really being helped along that way by Trump. Trump may "let them do it" and he might even "support" it, but he screws up everything he touches. Now if Lyndon Johnson was a Republican and had the current Congress, he'd have them whipped into submission and walking like ducks in a line. Trump is a divider, not a leader, not a consensus builder, not even a good martinet. So when you've got the ridiculously named "Freedom Caucaus" eating up 40 Republican votes, further efforts to divide won't help. I think the story line that "we (Republicans) got rid of Trump while Democrats got him into office" is not viable, even when presented to stupid Republican voters, because a lot of those stupid Republican voters will still be saying Trump was ambushed by the WaPo and SNL.

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

The problem with learning something via Colbert, I never know whether it's real or a bit. Comedy writes itself these days.

As a kid, I used to sing this all the time. Mom was a Kingston Trio fan.
You've got to prime the pump, you must have faith and believe
You've got to give of yourself ‘fore you're worthy to receive
Drink all the water you can hold, wash your face, cool your feet
Leave the bottle full for others, thank you kindly, desert Pete
Se Non Ora, Quando?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

k9nanny wrote:The problem with learning something via Colbert, I never know whether it's real or a bit. Comedy writes itself these days.

As a kid, I used to sing this all the time. Mom was a Kingston Trio fan.
You've got to prime the pump, you must have faith and believe
You've got to give of yourself ‘fore you're worthy to receive
Drink all the water you can hold, wash your face, cool your feet
Leave the bottle full for others, thank you kindly, desert Pete

The stole dunald's original phrase

He should sue

shirley

O Really
Admiral

Occasionally, I have had instances when I would think up something and then find out that others had thought of it too. All that meant was that my thought was not unique, but was still original. Giving him the most stretch of benefit of doubt, Trump could have heard the expression long ago, never used it, and it popped into his mind and he thought he created it. Not likely, though, because the "prime the pump" concept isn't something he would have run into. He's too young and too rich to have ever had a water pump, of had to deal with a fuel pump. A person who's never seen a pre-vinyl record might still understand and use the term "broken record" but s/he's not going to think it was original or claim it so. It's just more standard Trump - believing he invented the world all that it revolves around him. :roll:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... Giving him the most stretch of benefit of doubt, Trump could have heard the expression long ago, never used it, and it popped into his mind and he thought he created it....
One of the articles I saw detailed how he has used the expression over the years including not that long ago. That boy ain't right.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
O Really wrote:... Giving him the most stretch of benefit of doubt, Trump could have heard the expression long ago, never used it, and it popped into his mind and he thought he created it....
One of the articles I saw detailed how he has used the expression over the years including not that long ago. That boy ain't right.
From the comments you posted

we laugh, but anyone else says this and the answer is, "sure grandpa, now go sit in the corner and drink your juice."

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not only is his claim of authorship stupid, but he also has no idea what the phrase means in economic terms.
Vrede too wrote:https://twitter.com/MerriamWebster/stat ... 51039.html
Merriam-Webster‏ Verified account
@MerriamWebster 6h

... 'Pump priming' has been used to refer to government investment expenditures since at least 1933....
FDR spent big money on jobs-rich programs to aid the poor and middle class.

Tax cuts for corporations and the rich, the context in which he mentioned it, is 'trickle down' economics (a proven failure), not "pump priming".
His proposed spending cuts for environmental and human needs programs are pump dampening.
He's only proposed spending increases for the military, the least efficient way to create jobs and spur the economy.
His infrastructure spending would be "pump priming", but he hasn't actually proposed any legislation and we all know that the GOP won't fund it.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:12 pm
I predicted earlier that President* Trump will be gone by the end of October. I am now changing my mind....he'll be gone by the end of July.
Probably not, but he is going into full meltdown mode.

Trump, in angry Twitter spree, declares ‘the complete power to pardon’
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Maybe a difference is that while those of us who remember the formerly great nation known as the "United States" may hold out some hope that not all Republican Senators/Representatives are spineless slime, Trump knows better.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

True, but I'm holding out some hope for eventually enough Republican Senators/Representatives caring about their political self-preservation, for the 25th Amendment and, perhaps most likely, for a Palinesque frustrated, cowardly and childish resignation. Then, there's 2019.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I'm just hoping for a strong turn-out of the Dems/Independents who are left allowed to vote. If everybody who stayed home, sat out mad, whatever does so again, the crazies will ride their gerrymanders back to victory again.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

We'll see. We, collectively, have not given much reason to have faith in our "democratic" institutions. However, anger is a powerful motivator.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Last election was a really good example of why the poster formerly known as Vox was wrong. S/he claimed never to vote because one vote doesn't matter, and certainly you can make a case for that point particularly in a place with an overwhelming majority of one party. But that way of thinking leads to lots of people thinking they don't count. That whoever is elected will be the same. That all politicians suck anyway. Or they insist on voting only for somebody who fits their preferences closely, or are one-issue people. Result being we got Trump and a drooling Republican majority in both houses of Congress and most states. To think that happens in states where Dems outnumber Republicans in registration is ridiculous.