Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Awwwww

John Mahoney, who played cranky dad on 'Frasier,' dies at 77

http://abcnews.go.com/amp/Entertainment ... 7-52859783
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Current XKCD:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:10 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:38 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:23 pm
Well, there's "The Bachelor"
I'll sometimes flip to it during ads, but I think that the premise is creepy and am embarrassed for the participants.
Yeah, the first time I saw any of the show, I was aghast. I had not seen most of the episode, and didn't really know the context of the show. So here's these women lined up in a row and a guy picking them off one by one, sending them away sobbing. I couldn't believe anybody would be in that lineup, and I thought any guy doing that would have to be a major jerk. Several years and episodes later, though, I find it pretty entertaining. I look at it like dwarf-tossing - sure, it's humiliating in a way, but if the participants know what they're in for and want to do it, who am I to refuse to laugh at them.
I am sorry for your loss. :P
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Minn. lawmaker drafts bill banning 'The Bachelor' star from entering state after he dumps local woman

:lol: :---P

Having watched none of this season, I would say that Lauren is an idiot if she answers his calls or opens the door for him. Of course, he may have hedged his bets by checking in with her before dumping Becca.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

The main four channels in my area

2 Sinclair
1 Fox
and one sort of normal channel

The two Sinclair channels are speaking truth to local power and corruption, or so they say.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2018/3/8 ... omfortable
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:10 am

2 Sinclair
1 Fox

The two Sinclair channels are speaking truth to local power and corruption, or so they say.

I feel you, brother. Asheville only has an ABC affiliate and it's Sinclair. Our other local stations are all SC, and I'm not sure if they're Sinclair owned or not.

Do you get this asshole's editorials?
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2434
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:37 pm
Ah, I think this is the guy we're discussing and it is WLOS:

Mark E. Hyman

I feel better knowing that he's not local, something I don't think he states in his editorials :roll: , but is instead the Baltimore-based Vice President for Corporate Relations for right-leaning Sinclair Broadcast Group, "the largest television station operator in the United States".
O Really wrote:... Might as well be Faux.
:thumbup:
Every few months when he pisses me off I send the locals a note like this:
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 am
Subject: Mark Hyman
Date: Wed, August 9, 2017 12:10 am
To: comments@wlos.com
Cc: comments@sbgi.net (corporate)

Hi,

Y'all must cringe every time the carpetbagging, corporate, hateful dolt Mark Hyman represents your station. This time he's defending the honoring of slavers and traitors, comparing his ilk to Taliban victims, and dishonestly whining that the statues are getting destroyed. I feel bad for you, hang in there.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:

Bachelor Finale Cold Open - SNL (3/10/18)

:lol: :clap:

Ricky Martin's "Footloose" vs. Kate Upton's "...Baby One More Time" | Lip Sync Battle

The commenters say that Ricky Martin won, but I would have voted for Kate Upton. :shock: ;)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:23 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:10 am

2 Sinclair
1 Fox

I feel you, brother. Asheville only has an ABC affiliate and it's Sinclair. Our other local stations are all SC, and I'm not sure if they're Sinclair owned or not.

Do you get this asshole's editorials?
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2434
Vrede too wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:37 pm
Ah, I think this is the guy we're discussing and it is WLOS:

Mark E. Hyman

I feel better knowing that he's not local, something I don't think he states in his editorials :roll: , but is instead the Baltimore-based Vice President for Corporate Relations for right-leaning Sinclair Broadcast Group, "the largest television station operator in the United States".
O Really wrote:... Might as well be Faux.
:thumbup:
Every few months when he pisses me off I send the locals a note like this:
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:44 am
Subject: Mark Hyman
Date: Wed, August 9, 2017 12:10 am
To: comments@wlos.com
Cc: comments@sbgi.net (corporate)

Hi,

Y'all must cringe every time the carpetbagging, corporate, hateful dolt Mark Hyman represents your station. This time he's defending the honoring of slavers and traitors, comparing his ilk to Taliban victims, and dishonestly whining that the statues are getting destroyed. I feel bad for you, hang in there.
I quit watching my only local channel about 20+ years ago because of hyman.

Then he just looked like another rich shithead's dumbass kid. I'm sure he's still the same shit now that he was then.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:04 pm

Then he just looked like another rich shithead's dumbass kid. I'm sure he's still the same shit now that he was then.
He's not just con, he literally is an idiot. At most I catch 1/2 hour of the local channel's 2 and 1/2 hours plus the mornings of daily news, and I don't know how often his op-eds are on. So, it's pretty rare that I see him.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:11 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:04 pm

He's not just con, he literally is an idiot. At most I catch 1/2 hour of the local channel's 2 and 1/2 hours plus the mornings of daily news, and I don't know how often his op-eds are on. So, it's pretty rare that I see him.
He use to do a one minute editorial at the each broadcast - sort of a wannabe Cronkite for dumbasses.

I quit watching then, but now the NBC Mobile channel is pushing all this local government conspiracy shit and preaching about speaking truth to power along with their trump praise.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:24 pm
He use to do a one minute editorial at the each broadcast - sort of a wannabe Cronkite for dumbasses.

I quit watching then, but now the NBC Mobile channel is pushing all this local government conspiracy shit and preaching about speaking truth to power along with their trump praise.
It's less than every day here, but I don't know how much less, nor have I paid attention to which half hour of the day so that I can shun it.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Arrrrrgh! So "Jesus Christ Superstar" is on live on NBC. Been wanting to see this for decades, never have. Great music, great cast. And then several minutes of fucking commercials every 10 minutes or so! Too late to Tivo, Tivo is down anyway. Arrrrrgh!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:35 pm
Arrrrrgh! So "Jesus Christ Superstar" is on live on NBC. Been wanting to see this for decades, never have. Great music, great cast. And then several minutes of fucking commercials every 10 minutes or so! Too late to Tivo, Tivo is down anyway. Arrrrrgh!
Bummer. I caught bits of it during Star Wars: The Force Awakens commercials. Looked good.

I saw it in the early 70s in a MD dinner theater. Then, I was in the chorus of it in the late 80s. I was also an understudy apostle, but never an apostle in the show. Big, big production, 125? cast including 40? kids, tiered stage so that we could all appear and disappear in seconds, 350 seat theater, 10 shows including 2 on Easter Sunday. Great experience. I'd long been an atheist, but was still moved to tears each crucifixion.

We had an alcoholic Herod. He was brilliant and wickedly funny, but we were never completely sure that he'd show up and be able to perform. I even went to collect him for one rehearsal. It was kinda perfect.

Steven Bochco, creator of ‘Hill Street Blues,’ dies at 74

I was living without a TV at the time but still had a weekly date to watch Hill Street Blues at a freind's house. RIP.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:35 pm
Chrissy Teigen didn't let Bill O'Reilly get away with his 'Jesus Christ Superstar' comment
Bill O'Reilly
‏Verified account @BillOReilly

Watching JC Superstar on NBC. Who knew Jesus of Nazareth ran a tattoo parlor? Geez.
Chrissy Teigen, Queen of Internet Clapbacks, whose husband John Legend was playing the titular Jesus Christ, had something to say about O'Reilly's comment.
christine teigen
‏Verified account @chrissyteigen

Yes the shop specializes in coverups that aren’t 32 million dollars
:lol: :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:20 pm
Then, I was in the chorus of it in the late 80s. I was also an understudy apostle, but never an apostle in the show.
Your experience in musical performance is similar to mine. I bought the album, and sang Herod's part in the shower. ;)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:45 am
Your experience in musical performance is similar to mine. I bought the album, and sang Herod's part in the shower. ;)
Good choice, but maybe a step up from that. I was onstage in the chorus for all 10 shows and the chorus was up there for a lot of scenes.

I had no prior musical experience and even went to the director early on saying I should quit because I just wasn't getting the harmonizing. He encouraged me to stay and it was a shocker to me that it went well enough to later be made an understudy apostle. This was all in nursing school, I never pursued it further once I was working in a new city.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Do "understudy" apostles still get to "write the gospels and we'll all be remembered when [they] die"? Or Do they drift into oblivion like all the first string apostles not named Matthew Mark Luke, John or James?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:45 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:20 pm
Then, I was in the chorus of it in the late 80s. I was also an understudy apostle, but never an apostle in the show.

My wife can sing ever word to every song.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:24 am
Do "understudy" apostles still get to "write the gospels and we'll all be remembered when [they] die"? Or Do they drift into oblivion like all the first string apostles not named Matthew Mark Luke, John or James?
We pray that the first string stays healthy. ;) I guess there is a god.

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:34 am
That's kinda hot that your wife can sing like a hooker. :P
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:42 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:24 am
We pray that the first string stays healthy. ;) I guess there is a god.

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:34 am
That's kinda hot that your wife can sing like a hooker. :P
I should have added, since she was 12.