Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:42 pm
I don't recognize what show Candyman, above, was in ...
Is "Candyman" a nickname for Sammy Davis Jr.?
Ah, never mind - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Candy ... r._version

I don't know that the pic is from a TV show, though he appeared in many. He was just one of the 1960s pop culture blacks that I thought of.
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:58 pm
The Cisco Kid was early 50s. Wasn't it the 80s before we found out about Rock?
You guys sometimes take my stupid jokes too seriously. We didn't know about Sulu, either.
O Really wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:05 pm
rstrong wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:55 pm
I Love Lucy was similar.
Yeah, Ricky was domineering, but I don't recall his being actually violent. No clenched fist and "you're going to the moon, Lucy." Gleason did end most episodes with "you're the greatest" but to a large degree that just highlighted behaviour typical of abusers.
Maybe rstrong means the emotional abuse by Lucy that had Ricky tearing his own hair out almost every episode. Then, we can only guess what went on behind the Mertz's closed doors. :D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:23 pm
Well, there's "The Bachelor"
Heard on one entertainment show that only 1 of 20 Bachelors has actually gotten married and only 3 of 13 Bachelorettes. They made the comment that people do it so they can get famous and get laid by other folks more. Funny that they maintain the marriage illusion, but maybe viewers know it ain't real.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Well, look - it's a "reality show" with much of the emphasis on "show." But IMNVHO they're barking up the wrong tree to make a big deal over the numbers of actual marriages. Compare instead to the marriages or relatively long relationships resulting from meeting on that show to those resulting from meeting elsewhere (online, parties, work, yada). The show purports to provide an opportunity to "find romance" and "true love" and all that, but doesn't claim to provide any foundation for permanency. I'd say the best comparison would be with vacay or summer-type romances. Sometimes they work out, but usually they die at the end of the circumstance creating them.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's not like it actually bugs me and they didn't make a big deal out of the stats. I just think that the tally is funny given that each show ends with a marriage proposal. We can compare it to other relationships which are indeed as iffy as you say, but also to how many real world accepted proposals don't end in marriage. I'll bet that lots more than 12% of the latter end up married in the real world.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Agreed, and the "proposal" is probably the hokiest part of the whole show.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:00 am
Agreed, and the "proposal" is probably the hokiest part of the whole show.
That's saying a lot. ;)

I suppose going down on one knee and asking, "Will you screw me a bunch until the checks clear and we get sick of each other?" wouldn't go over as well.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It's called a "reality show" not an "honesty show."

O Really
Admiral

Interesting "Bachelor" trivia here...
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... elor.html/?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 am
Interesting "Bachelor" trivia here...
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... elor.html/?
I'm grateful that we don't have to listen to rstrong's Canadian accent. It's just so foreign.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just watched Shamy's wedding, good episode.

Heard this story on Mysteries at the Museum:
A Knight with the Widow Benton
Did the Robin Hood-bandit save a widow’s home?

Many have claimed that Jesse James, America’s most notorious bandit, was a Robin Hood who took from the rich and gave to the poor. Others have refuted the claim. But how did this debate begin, and is there any proof that Jesse was a Robin Hood? ...

The story goes like this: Jesse and his gang stop at the farmhouse of a widow and ask for a meal. Frequently she is described as the wife of a former Confederate soldier and has several children living at home. There is little food in the house, but the widow feeds the visitors as best she can. When Jesse notices tears on the widow’s cheeks, she tells him that the mortgage on her home is to be foreclosed that afternoon by the banker from a nearby town. The woman has no money. Moved by her plight, Jesse provides the widow with the funds she needs and then departs. A few hours later the banker arrives, receives the money and has no choice but to release the mortgage. A mile or so from the widow’s farm, Jesse robs the banker of the mortgage payment.

This story was also repeated by Judge James R. Ross, the great-grandson of Jesse, in his book I, Jesse James. Ross claimed that Jesse stopped at the widow’s house in the “hills of Tennessee” while on his way to Kentucky to visit kin. Ross stated that the widow’s name was Benton, and he said her husband had been a Confederate soldier and she had five children. Ross related the story to author Ted Yeatman in a 1993 letter, writing, “According to my grandfather [Jesse, Jr.], Uncle Ben [a family name for Frank James] always referred to her as the widow Benton when referring to her in front of the family, it being one of his favorite stories. My grandfather also received a letter sometime in the 1930s from a child of the widow Benton confirming the incidents and location. Unfortunately. . . this is lost, but I personally saw and read the letter.”

It must have made a good bedtime tale in the James household, and Frank James was known to spin a yarn. There may, however, be a veneer of fact in the story. The 1880 census for Sumner County, Tennessee, lists a widow named Nancy Benton, the wife of Richard Benton.

Richard “Dick” Benton of Tennessee married Nancy H. Binkley on January 20, 1853. Around 1860 Richard moved to Humphreys County (Jesse James lived near there in 1877-78). Richard apparently never enlisted in the Confederate Army but may have fought with local guerrillas. At some point he moved back to Robertson County, settling in New Chapel. He is thought to have died about 1877, leaving Nancy to raise their eight children. After Richard’s death, Nancy moved to White House in Sumner County.

The Benton family maintains that Jesse and his men stopped at Nancy’s home, ate a meal, and left a large sum of money. Whether Jesse helped her with the mortgage is unknown since the widow Benton was always reticent to talk about the matter....
Mysteries at the Museum added the detail that Jesse told the widow to get a receipt from the banker, which she then used to prove that the payment had been made. No telling if it's all true, but good story.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:55 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssb-4ostzwg
In an exclusive, unaired clip from The Big Bang Theory Season 11 finale, the happy couple gets one last wedding present from the late theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking.

:( :clap:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:30 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:55 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssb-4ostzwg
In an exclusive, unaired clip from The Big Bang Theory Season 11 finale, the happy couple gets one last wedding present from the late theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking.

:( :clap:
Good stuff.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Funny as hell in so many ways

Roseanne done gone and done her own self in

I think the show should go on without her with her absence explained as prison time for a hate crime

or for her singing the national anthem
Last edited by billy.pilgrim on Tue May 29, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:37 pm
Funny as hell in so many ways

Roseanne done gone and done her own self in
Great minds . . .

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... nne#p85320
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It's pretty bad when somebody who's offensive for a living is so offensive that her whole (well-rated) show gets axed. Not that I have much to be optimistic about, but maybe ABC has established a bar, (or Barr), even a low one, that will inspire others not to put up with the constantly escalating hate speech.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Wow, always knew she was nuts but i didn't know she was a full fledged Qanon nutjob (from her Twitter feed).
Bye Felicia.

O Really
Admiral

I enjoyed her early comedy - the "domestic goddess" stuff for example, and somewhat defended her rendition or the national anthem on the grounds that they knew who she was and if they had wanted a serious singer, they should have hired a singer. I thought the first version of "Roseanne" was good for a couple of years, but I lost interest. Sometime in the past decade, though, she's apparently gone totally off the rails. Bet John Goodman, et. al. aren't so happy with her now, either.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 6:14 pm
... Bet John Goodman, et. al. aren't so happy with her now, either.
Plus all of the nonwealthy actors and crew that Roseanne Barr just put on the unemployment line.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/cast-roseann ... 00453.html
https://www.yahoo.com/news/roseanne-sta ... 36574.html
Not just the folks associated with the current show:
http://tvline.com/2018/05/29/roseanne-c ... twork-cmt/

So, who directly cancelled the show?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/people-prais ... 30735.html

:lol: Karma is a bitch.
1312. ETTD.