Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:A bunch of those aren't predictions, but based on then-current and past events.
Did you read the descriptions? The article admits tenouous connections, coincidence and wingnuttery.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
rstrong wrote:A bunch of those aren't predictions, but based on then-current and past events.
Did you read the descriptions? The article admits tenouous connections, coincidence and wingnuttery.
I just looked at the list in your post and lost interest.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

You expected intellectual depth from an article about The Simpsons posted in an Idiot box thread? :P
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:You expected intellectual depth from an article about The Simpsons posted in an Idiot box thread? :P
Well c'mon; I've expected intellectual depth from Mr.B in the religion thread...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

So, the problem is yours. ;)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Sometimes I hate being correct.
Not only about the polls at the end, but also for 2 years about what a mistake it was to nominate a candidate as tainted, conservative and uninspiring as Hillary.
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... mes#p67138
Vrede too wrote:11 times The Simpsons predicted the future with eerie precision

President Trump - Predicted in 2000 ...
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... I thought (was afraid that) the "little person" would be a novelty like dwarf-tossing, but she's actually pretty good. Particularly considering her awkward conformation and the fact she had a baby back around the first of August.
Good eye, Terra went out in 5th. Finals now. They're all so good! I don't think Calvin will win, but I could be wrong.

Trio Salsa: Calvin, Lindsay, and Witney - Dancing with the Stars

Pure fun. I wanted to get up and dance with them rather than just watch.
Erin Andrews: "Calvin and the Doublemint twins."

Among the other 3, not sure how people will vote and the judges are mostly giving out 10s. I still think Laurie should win, though. When I'm watching the others I'm impressed at how great they are for rookies. When I'm watching her it's like watching a professional dance.

Laurie Hernandez and Val's Foxtrot - DWTS Season 23 Week 10 (Semifinals)

Use full screen. Dance starts at 3:30, but the set-up beforehand is touching. I didn't like her, Maks & Val's Trio Samba as much as some of the others, but only because the choreography had more serial pairs dancing in place of real trio dancing. They got all 10s, though.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

3 couples' freestyles were amazing! Use full screen.

Laurie Hernandez and Val's Freestyle - DWTS Season 23 Finals (Week 11). Skip to 2:20 for the dance. All 10s.

Calvin Johnson and Lindsay's Freestyle - DWTS Season 23 Finals. Skip to 1:50 for the dance. All 10s.

So fun. He probably had to work the hardest to become so good.

James Hinchcliffe and Sharna's Freestyle - DWTS Season 23 Finals. Skip to 2:05 for the dance. All 10s.

Not bad for a guy who sits on his butt for a living.

Then, there was:

Laurie Hernandez and Val's Redemption Paso Doble - DWTS Season 23 Finals (Week 11). Skip to 2:15 for the dance.

Whoa, where did wicked Laurie come from? Best "Redemption" dance of the night.

It's harsh that one couple has to learn, practice and dance when DWTS already knows that they're going home based on the previous week. I would have guessed it would be Calvin, but it was Jana Kramer and Gleb. Works for me, I thought they were the weakest last night.

A Latino, a black and a Canadian. Trump will fix that next year.

Does it help Laurie that she's the only woman left? She's a judges' point ahead of James, but I could see any of them getting tons of votes. I'd be okay with whichever winner. We'll see tonight.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I was sorry to see Jana go, but somebody had to. I'm still for Laurie, but James is really excellent - hard to tell from the male pros. Calvin, IMNVHO, is a click down from the other two. But wasn't that a great toss he made backwards over the top of his head?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... Calvin, IMNVHO, is a click down from the other two. But wasn't that a great toss he made backwards over the top of his head?
Perfection.

Looking at the whole season and last night's "Redemption" dances I'd definitely go Laurie > James > Calvin. Looking at their relative starting places - huge advantage for Laurie - and just last night's "Free Style" dances makes it tougher to pick. You never know with American voters, as we've just seen.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I know a lot of people prefer the ones who never danced and made great progress, but if they let in the ones who have some starting advantage, they shouldn't hold that against them later. Sure, Laurie looks like a natural, but not all gymnasts could do it. And not all athletes have been able to convert their game skills to the dance floor as well as others. I think Terra did the most with what she had - she was surprisingly graceful and athletic - but eventually she just wasn't the best left.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's entertainment, not "pure" dance judging. Otherwise, it would be all pro dancers and expert dance judges without the popular vote. Thus, people will consciously or unconsciously consider growth during the season, personality, judges' statements and votes, backstories - hence football injury, car wreck and Grandma - and who knows what else (race, gender, age, partner?) when choosing. Level of organized voting probably has an impact, too. I'm just glad that they all did well enough in the last dance that I won't be devastated if Laurie doesn't win.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Sure, and there have been good dancers dumped because of insufficient fan base, and some fan bases have kept a dancer in long past his/her pull date (right, Bristol?). But I just thing that having what appears to be a starting advantage doesn't always work out to be a deciding factor.

O Really
Admiral

It's Laurie! :clap: :clap:
But I wouldn't' have been disappointed if James had won. Too bad they can't give a tie.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I suppose they could have a tie after adding the audience and judges' scores, but they might have a tiebreakers like:
The judges decide unless they break 2-2.
The audience decides. An exact tie after millions of votes would be nearly impossible.
The producers decide because the selection is rigged, anyhow.

Sweet 16 was a pretty good year.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

My wife watches The Voice religiously, therefore I watch some.

Sundance Head won and I picked him the first time he sang because of his voice, but didn't give him a chance in hell because of his looks. Damn what a voice and it seems that a fat guy with a long scraggly beard can make it if his voice is good enough.

https://youtu.be/aOMLJ09KsIs

The 15 year old girl was super impressive. I bet her performance just got her into a top school and a future on Broadway
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I liked Billy Gilman, too, glad he made it all the way to 2nd, as well as 17 year old Wé McDonald making it all the way to the finals. But, I didn't watch enough to have favorites.

Season 9 winner:

Apparently, looks aren't that important. It might even be that "different" is an advantage.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:I liked Billy Gilman, too, glad he made it all the way to 2nd, as well as 17 year old Wé McDonald making it all the way to the finals. But, I didn't watch enough to have favorites.

Season 9 winner:

Apparently, looks aren't that important. It might even be that "different" is an advantage.

That's a good thing on the skinny side of what is fast becoming a lopsided list of the American people's ability to see substance over superficial
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

That, or a growing acceptance of obesity.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Just watched the premier:

‘The Mick’ Preview: Star Kaitlin Olson Is a ‘Force of Nature’

I'm not a big sitcom fan, but :lol: :!:
1312. ETTD.