Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

6 out of the 11 acts in last night semis were singing acts. My favorite of the singers:

Mandy Harvey: The Miracle DEAF Singer Will Touch ALL Your Emotions! America's Got Talent 2017

If other singing acts go through, I'd pick:

Kechi: The Plane Crash Survivor HEARTFELT Song To Her Mom!! America's Got Talent 2017

Or:

Angelica Hale: Brings The House Down With Semifinal Performance! America's Got Talent 2017

Though it's kinda crude of them to time baby sister's birth for the semis. ;)

The Pompeyo Family Dogs fell apart, many missed tricks and general chaos. That's what happens when you work with bitches. They had needed a judge rescue to get this far, I doubt they'll advance.

This "mentalist" is good:

Colin Cloud: Mind Reader Predicts Your Tweets - America's Got Talent 2017

I don't think he'll win it all, but he might make the finals. My favorites from last night, even though video probably doesn't do them justice (use full screen):

Light Balance Special Hi Tech Dancing -Intro &Judges Comments Semi Finals America's Got Talent 2017

Diavolo: A Human Body SPECTACULAR Like You've Never Seen! America's Got Talent 2017
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:40 am
6 out of the 11 acts in last night semis were singing acts. My favorite of the singers:

Mandy Harvey: The Miracle DEAF Singer Will Touch ALL Your Emotions! America's Got Talent 2017

Advanced :clap:

If other singing acts go through, I'd pick:

Kechi: The Plane Crash Survivor HEARTFELT Song To Her Mom!! America's Got Talent 2017

Won Audience Choice

Or:

Angelica Hale: Brings The House Down With Semifinal Performance! America's Got Talent 2017

Though it's kinda crude of them to time baby sister's birth for the semis. ;) Advanced

The Pompeyo Family Dogs fell apart, many missed tricks and general chaos. That's what happens when you work with bitches. They had needed a judge rescue to get this far, I doubt they'll advance. Eliminated

This "mentalist" is good:

Colin Cloud: Mind Reader Predicts Your Tweets - America's Got Talent 2017

I don't think he'll win it all, but he might make the finals. Lost Judges' Choice

My favorites from last night, even though video probably doesn't do them justice (use full screen):

Light Balance Special Hi Tech Dancing -Intro &Judges Comments Semi Finals America's Got Talent 2017

Advanced :clap:

Diavolo: A Human Body SPECTACULAR Like You've Never Seen! America's Got Talent 2017

Won Judges' Choice :clap:
5-1, sort of. Only 5 could go through. :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Excellent finals, the best I remember. Worth watching the whole thing if you get a chance. 10 acts, only 4 that I wouldn't want to win. 5 or 6, depending on how you count the ventriloquist, were singing acts. Too many for my tastes, but wow what singing!

I tried figuring our how I would rank my 2nd through 6th choices and just gave up. Here they are:

Mandy Harvey: This Deaf Singer/Songwriter is The Most Thing EVER! | America's Got Talent 2017

What a unique voice.

Kechi: Simon Cowell says "This Act DEFINES America's Got Talent!!"

Lovely. Simon also said, "That was an anthem." I agree.

Full screen:

Light Balance: This Light-Dance Group Hit It OUT OF THE PARK!! America's Got Talent 2017

Wow, I'll bet it's even wilder in person. My favorite of their performances.

Full screen:

Diavolo: Most Amazing Display of Team-work and Athleticism on America's Got Talent 2017

Wow, I'll bet it's even wilder in person. I like that they brought back my favorite set piece from their audition.

Evie Clair: This Finale Tribute To Her Dad Will MELT AMERICA'S HEART!! America's Got Talent 2017

Oh man, her dad died of cancer between the semis and tonight. :( Perfect song, perfect interpretation of it.

My favorite:

Darci Lynne Brings Together Her Puppet Friends For A GRAND FINALE ACT!!! America's Got Talent 2017

:clap: :clap: :clap: :-|| But, I'll be thrilled for any of the other 5 if they win.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This was cool:

Angelica Hale, Kechi and Kelly Clarkson NAIL IT TOGETHER on America´s Got Talent 2017!

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 11:34 pm
Darci Lynne: 12-Year-Old Singing Ventriloquist Gets Golden Buzzer - America's Got Talent 2017

:o :clap: :clap: :clap: I think she would have advanced if she just sang normally. Prediction: duet with Terry Fator before the season's over.
Am I good or what?

Darci Lynne and Terry Fator Deliver An Unbelievable Performance - America's Got Talent 2017

Terry Fator still has a Vegas show 10 years later. They said some outfit just voted him Best Show in Vegas.

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 am
Darci Lynne's New Singing Puppet Has a Romantic CRUSH on Mel B | America's Got Talent 2017

Good joke, well delivered. Wow, each new note blew me away. And, completely different from the first show, in a mouse voice! ... She could win it all.
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:41 am
Excellent finals, the best I remember. Worth watching the whole thing if you get a chance. 10 acts, only 4 that I wouldn't want to win. 5 or 6, depending on how you count the ventriloquist, were singing acts. Too many for my tastes, but wow what singing!

I tried figuring our how I would rank my 2nd through 6th choices and just gave up.

2 of my bottom 4 tied for 6th, one took 5th, one was in the final 2.

Here they are:

Mandy Harvey: This Deaf Singer/Songwriter is The Most Thing EVER! | America's Got Talent 2017

What a unique voice. 4th.

Kechi: Simon Cowell says "This Act DEFINES America's Got Talent!!"

Lovely. Simon also said, "That was an anthem." I agree. Tied for 6th.

Full screen:

Light Balance: This Light-Dance Group Hit It OUT OF THE PARK!! America's Got Talent 2017

Wow, I'll bet it's even wilder in person. My favorite of their performances. 3rd.

Full screen:

Diavolo: Most Amazing Display of Team-work and Athleticism on America's Got Talent 2017

Wow, I'll bet it's even wilder in person. I like that they brought back my favorite set piece from their audition. Tied for 6th.

Evie Clair: This Finale Tribute To Her Dad Will MELT AMERICA'S HEART!! America's Got Talent 2017

Oh man, her dad died of cancer between the semis and tonight. :( Perfect song, perfect interpretation of it. Tied for 6th.

It was a tween final. Last year 12-year-old singer-songwriter and ukulele player, Grace Vanderwaal won. In the final 2, not one of my picks but she is good:

Angelica Hale: 10-Year-Old Vocalist Stuns With "Symphony" - America's Got Talent 2017

My favorite:

Darci Lynne Brings Together Her Puppet Friends For A GRAND FINALE ACT!!! America's Got Talent 2017

:clap: :clap: :clap: :-|| But, I'll be thrilled for any of the other 5 if they win.

AND THE WINNER IS... | The Finale | America´s Got Talent 2017

Excellent.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Waiting for "Florida's Got Talent"...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:59 pm
Because a Canadian will win?
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:09 pm
rstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:59 pm
Because a Canadian will win?
It's SO hard to compete with TV from the rest of the US...

This Day in History - 1967: "My Mother, The Car" exported to France

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

... the first TV show to star a talking automobile.... it only survived for one season (1965–66) in the United States. In 2002, TV Guide named “My Mother, The Car” the second-worst television show of all time. (First on the list was The Jerry Springer Show.)
We sure didn't need "two versions of the show 'Knight Rider.'” Not sure if France or Canada did.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:05 am
We sure didn't need "two versions of the show 'Knight Rider.'”
Two...?

- Knight Rider (1982–1986 series)
- Code of Vengeance (1985 spin-off series and TV movies)
- Knight Rider 2000 (1991 TV movie)
- Knight Rider 2010 (1994 TV movie)
- Team Knight Rider (1997–1998 series)
- Knight Rider (2008–2009 series)
- Knight Rider (2017 series)

Plus many novels, comics, video games, etc.

America needed a lot more Knight Rider.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 am
Two...? ...
Hey, I just quoted your link. I never watched any of them, but I appreciate that a dedicated fan like you has now set the record straight. :P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'Dick Van Dyke Show' actress Rose Marie has died at 94

Funny woman, RIP.

Of the The Dick Van Dyke Show's major characters the only ones still alive now are Dick Van Dyke, Carl Reiner and Larry Mathews (Richie Petrie).
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Friends,

I happened upon an important discovery I thought I'd share with all of you, because it truly is life altering.

For my entire life, I've absolutely abhorred doing dishes. I'd oftentimes let them pile up so that at the end of the week I'd have a huge mess of dirty dishes to take care of. I HATED everything about doing dishes. Even with a dishwasher, you still have to go through the trouble of loading/unloading dishes. It's terrible.

Well, the other day I got to thinking.

What if when I finished eating, I washed my bowl and spoon and pot right then and there?

Something amazing happened.

I no longer have piles of dirty dishes mocking me and my laziness.

The whole process takes about 2 minutes, and the next day I can even use the same bowl, spoon, pot, and pan.

It's life altering, and I highly recommend you all try this.

Peace.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Our habit with a dishwasher is to put stuff into the dishwasher until it is reasonably filled, and then run it.
Our habit in the coach, however, is to wash up after each meal. That way is indeed easier, makes it possible to live just as comfortably with lots fewer dishes, never need something only to find it's in the dishwasher, and seems to take up less total time.

Funny you mention hating doing dishes. When I was a kid, my dad generally did the dishes, and I was required to help. I was bitching about it one night, and said, "Pop, don't you just hate doing dishes?" He said, "I never really thought about it. When you don't have a choice about something, it doesn't matter whether you like it or not. What's the point of making yourself miserable?" Wise words I've remembered and found useful.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

JTA wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm
At least it's a GFCI.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not positive but I think Sam Rockwell just (accidentally?) said, "You can't be that fucking stupid," in an SNL skit. If so, controversy to follow.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Times are changing. This week the courts ordered the Trademark Office to allow F-bombs in trademarks. The F-bomb gold rush begins.

Besides, it was religious right lobby groups that were sanctimoniously policing the airwaves. If Trump were to swear - and he has - it becomes acceptable behavior. They probably have a host of biblical quotes to justify it, just like they did with Roy Moore's behavior*.

Facts and journalism are the new perversion.

* You can say what you like about Roy Moore, but at least he drives slow through school zones.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 pm
Not positive but I think Sam Rockwell just (accidentally?) said, "You can't be that fucking stupid," in an SNL skit. If so, controversy to follow.

F bomb confirmed, not an accident though. Plus Weekend Update dropped a couple of shitholes.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 am
F bomb confirmed, not an accident though.

Thanks. No point in closing the door once the horses are out of the shithole barn.

Plus Weekend Update dropped a couple of shitholes.
How Many Times Can Wolf Blitzer Avoid Saying ‘Shithole’?
Watch the CNN anchor struggle to avoid using the word on live TV.

:D
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

It's only a matter of time until "Security Cameras of Wal-Mart" become a hit reality show.