Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Ambien just released a statement saying that although Ambien does have some side effects, racism is not one of them.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:55 am
Ambien just released a statement saying that although Ambien does have some side effects, racism is not one of them.
:lol: :---P

Ambien manufacturer responds to Roseanne: 'Racism is not a known side effect'

Comments:
"it was memorial day too" I am still trying to figure out how it being Memorial Day has to do with it?
"I'm not giving excuses for what I did, but here's my excuse."
If your racism lasts more than 4 hours, call a doctor.
Typical wussy Trumpette - always blaming others for her own failings.

Roseanne Barr Attacks Cast Members on Twitter Following Cancellation: ‘You Threw Me Under the Bus’

Comment:
They threw you under the bus????? You, dearie, are the POS racist here, not them. You ruined their show, not the other way around.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:35 pm
Arrrrrgh! So "Jesus Christ Superstar" is on live on NBC. Been wanting to see this for decades, never have. Great music, great cast. And then several minutes of fucking commercials every 10 minutes or so! Too late to Tivo, Tivo is down anyway. Arrrrrgh!
John Legend is nominated for an Emmy for LEAD ACTOR IN A LIMITED SERIES OR MOVIE.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/emmys-2018-n ... 30587.html

Also:
"SWEET JESUS | With 13 total nods, NBC’s Jesus Christ Superstar Live in Concert stands as the most-nominated live musical event of the past five years (easily besting previous title holder Grease Live!‘s nine)."
https://tvline.com/2018/07/12/2018-emmy ... mily-snub/
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Joe Arpaio Gives Wild Explanation For Trainwreck Sacha Baron Cohen Interview

... Arpaio “couldn’t understand” Baron Cohen’s questions because of his feigned accent, the former sheriff told the Washington Examiner....
Yeah riiiight, Joe. Everyone else asks for a question to be repeated. So far, only Bernie! dealt with Cohen competently. What is with modern cons - Arapaio, POSPOTUS, Trumpettes - that they just can't admit when they've screwed up? Have they all had their testes removed?

The Arizona Senate Republican Primary is August 28th, 2018. Arpaio is down by 14%, in 3rd place behind 2 women.
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6235.html

RCP is calling the race a tossup even though the GOP primary hasn't happened yet. It's also moved Ted Cruz to "Leans GOP".
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... e_map.html
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I surfed to the 2018 MTV VMAs during commercials. Like much of the country I was appalled that Madonna's "tribute" to Aretha Franklin was all about . . . Madonna. I didn't catch it last night, but this is better:

Logic ft. Ryan Tedder Performs 'One Day' | 2018 Video Music Awards

:clap: The National Domestic Workers Alliance says they're all immigrant kids and parents, probably true. I love the "reuniting" imagery.

There's that "ft." again. Is it FaceTime and what am I not getting about using it this way?
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:14 pm
I surfed to the 2018 MTV VMAs during commercials. Like much of the country I was appalled that Madonna's "tribute" to Aretha Franklin was all about . . . Madonna....
Only heard one TV report and don't care enough to research further, but in fairness Madonna is saying that she was asked on short notice to relate an anecdote, NOT present a tribute. Sounds reasonable, but I still think I would have chosen differently if I was her.

If I was Madonna - I crack myself up sometimes. :wave:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'The Conners' killing off Roseanne sets Twitter ablaze with praise and anger

Opioid overdose

Should have been an Ambien OD, in order to highlight the rightwing's addiction to excuse making.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

New shows:

Whiskey Cavalier
Really stupid. For example: "It's a through and through wound," followed instantly by kitchen table surgery with a butcher knife to remove the bullet to "prevent infection". I won't watch again.

The Enemy Within
Not a bad premier at all, sort of a Blacklist premise.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I've seen 2 episodes, still not sure:

Proven Innocent

"A legal team takes on cases involving wrongful convictions."

I mostly like the premise - corrupt prosecutors, lazy or bigoted cops, damaged former victim of the same fighting for truth and justice, and winning. It is a 'white savior' theme, though not all of the saved are POC.
The acting is fine, though I'm still getting used to Kelsey Grammer as an evil bastard.

Idk about the writing - a little preachy, a little pollyanna in the good guys' victories. We'll see.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

It's not really an idiot box, but incredibly you can buy an HD projector for a little over $100. Damn, I remember when computer projectors first came out you had to carry them around on a little pull cart and they cost like $7K. Then the next generation was smaller and could be carried without a cart, but still cost over $3K.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07174LM85/ref ... uage=en_CA

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Extensive Sinclair/Mark E. Hyman discussion on page 11:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2077&p=83601&hilit= ... ark#p83601
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:04 pm
I quit watching my only local channel about 20+ years ago because of hyman.

Then he just looked like another rich shithead's dumbass kid. I'm sure he's still the same shit now that he was then.
I haven't seen Hyman in a while. Now WLOS, WNC's only station, runs regular commentaries from this shithead dumbass:
Sinclair increases 'must-run' Boris Epshteyn segments

Updated 07/11/2017

Even while under fire for requiring its outlets to run conservative content, Sinclair Broadcast Group is increasing the "must-run" segments across its affiliates featuring former Trump White House official Boris Epshteyn to nine times a week, the company confirmed on Monday....

Epshteyn was hired by Sinclair as chief political analyst in April after a short ride in the White House overseeing the choice of Trump surrogates for TV appearances.

Now, on Sinclair, he is offering his own political commentary....

Epshteyn’s segments are “must runs,” so all the Sinclair stations across the country will air them along with their other “must-run” segments including conservative commentary from Mark Hyman and the Terrorism Alert Desk segments. Epshteyn reliably parrots the White House's point of view on most issues. For example, he claimed last month that former FBI Director James Comey's testimony on Capitol Hill was more damaging to Hillary Clinton and former Attorney General Loretta Lynch than to the president....

The Smith family, which has owned the Maryland-based Sinclair since its founding in 1971, is known for its conservative views.

Last month, POLITICO reported that Frederick G. Smith, vice president and director of Sinclair Broadcasting, sent a contribution to Montana's Republican representative Greg Gianforte on the day after Gianforte was charged with assault for putting a "body slam" on a reporter for The Guardian.
Boris Alexandrovich Epshteyn was born in Moscow, Soviet Union. :D
... In September 2016, Epshteyn responded to a question from MSNBC's Hallie Jackson by offering a new explanation for why a portrait of Trump – paid for by the Donald J. Trump Foundation – wound up on display at Trump National Doral Miami, a Trump-owned for-profit golf resort in Florida. Epshteyn said, "There are IRS rules which specifically state that when a foundation has an item, an individual can store those items – on behalf of the foundation – in order to help it with storage costs... And that's absolutely proper." Epshteyn's explanation was, in effect, that Trump hadn't used his foundation to buy some art for his resort, which would be self-dealing. Instead, Trump's resort was helping the foundation – which has no employees or office space of its own – to store one of its possessions.

In September 2016, the media watchdog organization Media Matters for America criticized CNN, Fox News, and PBS for failing to disclose Epshteyn's "financial ties to the former Soviet Union, which include consulting through Strategy International LLC for 'entities doing business in Eastern Europe' and moderating a Russian-sponsored conference on 'investment opportunities in Moscow.'" ...
Sometimes, Epshteyn is balanced with a commentary from a young, liberal, black woman. Not sure whether she's local or also corporate.
Subject: Boris Alexandrovich Epshteyn
Date: Sat, April 6, 2019
To: comments@wlos.com
Cc: comments@sbgi.net (corporate)

Hi,

Y'all must cringe every time the carpetbagging, corporate, hateful, lying dolt Boris Alexandrovich Epshteyn represents your station and your otherwise quality journalism. I feel bad for you, hang in there.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

This Sinclair outfit owns the local stations here in NE TN as well. They seem to be pseudo Nazis as far as I can tell. It's a shame, really. I can remember gas stations named Sinclair and they had a dinosaur on their signs. Leave it to Nazis to fuck up dinosaurs and gasoline and local tv. Fuck them as much as possible.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'm not a huge fan, nor am I that into pop culture, but this is still impressive to me. Who is this?

:wtf:
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

looks good to me
Last edited by neoplacebo on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:36 pm
Oooohhh, I like ________ but think she's better as a brunette.
Spoiler.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:36 pm
Oooohhh, I like
couldn't help myself...sorry, I should have just said she's better as a brunette.
Last edited by neoplacebo on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:54 pm
couldn't help myself...sorry, I should have just said she's better as a brunette.
I should not have quoted you, doh. Fixed now.

Could you tell who it is before opening my "Spoiler" box?
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:56 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:54 pm
I should not have quoted you, doh. Fixed now.

Could you tell who it is before opening my "Spoiler" box?
no. I couldn't; would have not had any idea. I actually just came back to delete my post to not spoil for others but am too late now. I changed it but am still a dubmass

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The Big Bang Theory

Good series finale!
Spoiler:
Leonard slapped Sheldon ...
Spoiler:
... and it was okay.
Spoiler:
"They fixed the elevator."
Spoiler:
Buffy!
1312. ETTD.