2020 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:44 pm
. Anyone think he could win the nomination?
No.
(Says the same guy who said repeatedly that Trump had no chance.)

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-campaign

Up from 518 presidential votes in 2012, the party against all things bad received 5,617 votes in 2016. For unknown reasons they are expecting 25,000+ in 2020.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:01 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... n-campaign

Up from 518 presidential votes in 2012, the party against all things bad received 5,617 votes in 2016. For unknown reasons they are expecting 25,000+ in 2020.
I'll drink to their success.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Only 14 hours until the 2020 elections season starts. I'm so excited I could spit.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Want to beat Trump in 2020? Look at Sherrod Brown's latest big win in Ohio

Glowing article. Idk a lot about him, but I've had a good impression. I went to Wiki looking for knocks on him, found this:
Controversial remarks

In March 2011, Brown came under scrutiny for a Senate floor speech in which he cited the names of Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin while he criticized Republican efforts in Ohio and Wisconsin to mitigate the power of public employee unions to negotiate with taxpayers. In his speech he said "some of the worst governments that we've ever had, do you know one of the first things they did? They went after unions. Hitler didn't want unions, Stalin didn't want unions, Mubarak didn't want independent unions". In his speech, Brown said "I'm not comparing what's happened to the workers in Madison or in Columbus to Hitler and Stalin." He later apologized for his speech.
My only problem with that is the apology.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

People keep wanting to believe that because someone is an American, then they must by definition be less evil than a Stalin or Hitler. They aren't. It is true that American politicians don't (as far as we know) have people killed en masse, but that's more to the credit of the system than to the individual.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ex-Clinton aide: Hillary will run again in 2020

I think I remember rstrong saying in 2014 or 15 that Hillary was a fake candidate meant to draw heat from the other Dems. Is that what's going on this time? I hope she isn't really thinking of running, even for her own sake.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:23 am
Ex-Clinton aide: Hillary will run again in 2020

I think I remember rstrong saying in 2014 or 15 that Hillary was a fake candidate meant to draw heat from the other Dems. Is that what's going on this time? I hope she isn't really thinking of running, even for her own sake.
Aintgonnahappen.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Another thing that aintgonnahappen:

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Wants to Replace Columbus Day With Holiday for Election Day

But it's a really good idea.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

‘If no one else is going to do it, I am going to do it’: Billionaire Tom Steyer on a possible presidential run

His politics MIGHT be okay, but we've seen that a fat cat with zero political experience does a crappy job. No thanks.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

A smart rich person with no political experience could do a good job if s/he really did surround him/herself with top advisors, appointed cabinet heads who actually knew something about what they're responsible for, and focused on being the "decider" and building coalitions in Congress. But it's not going to really happen because most of those guys have too much personal ego for that and - like Trump but probably not as bad - want to run everything themselves. Getting things done in politics is way different from getting things done in a corporation but it's a trainable skill. The guy who sees himself as "self-made" or "runs his own show" or whatever isn't usually trainable.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A lot of that comes naturally to a person that has survived politics long enough to become a POTUS candidate. The WH is not for on the job training.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:40 pm
A lot of that comes naturally to a person that has survived politics long enough to become a POTUS candidate. The WH is not for on the job training.
Agreed, as I've said often. But of course surviving politics in qualifying positions doesn't always turn out so well, either if the guy's a crook.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:18 pm
Agreed, as I've said often. But of course surviving politics in qualifying positions doesn't always turn out so well, either if the guy's a crook.
Agreed, the skills you listed are necessary, but not sufficient, and ethical behavior is a red line for me.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unfortunately, Trump has set the bar so low there that anybody without more than two convictions for molestation will look good. Well, OK, maybe only one child rape conviction could get you tossed. But I think the lines on corruption have been blurred significantly and will take a long time - if ever - to return to what we might consider an acceptable standard. They're making a film about Gary Hart - brought down by a "scandal" that today probably wouldn't even cost him more than a few thousand votes, and that was likely a set-up. We've got members of Congress under indictment still winning. We've got the Roy Moores staying in the race and almost winning. We've got acknowledged and concerted efforts to suppress voting. People keep comparing Trump's shenanigans to Watergate. As if. Nixon's dirty tricksters couldn't even get a job with Trump, and current standards aren't going to go away quickly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

'
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:31 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:18 pm
Agreed, the skills you listed are necessary, but not sufficient, and ethical behavior is a red line for me.
Well, if ethical behavior is a red line for you, that must mean that unethical behavior is what you're more comfortable with. I myself happened to stumble across a significant pile of "dark money" recently but the goddamn stuff was so dark you couldn't even read the denominations so I just left it there.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 pm
Well, if ethical behavior is a red line for you, that must mean that unethical behavior is what you're more comfortable with....
It is unethical of you to misconstrue my intent that way. You have lost my vote. :P
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:54 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:31 pm
Well, if ethical behavior is a red line for you, that must mean that unethical behavior is what you're more comfortable with....
It is unethical of you to misconstrue my intent that way. You have lost my vote. :P
Don't be so superstitious....I am famous for misconstruing things as well as stomping to a savage beat just this side of the ethical behavior line. :thumbup:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... spartanntp

are any other commercials needed.

start at 2:09

"Yes, if we don't get what we want one way or the other, whether through you, the military, through anything you want to call it, I'll shut down the government, I am proud, I am proud to shut down the government"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”