2020 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 am
Tom Steyer for president? There's a web domain for that.

I'm still seeing the ads on other networks. Love them, don't need another billionaire with zero political experience as POTUS.
Didn't need the first one - even if it had been somebody other than Trump.
Oprah 'actively thinking' of running for the White House

Nope.

Sean Spicer Dismisses Oprah Winfrey Presidential Run Because Of Inexperience

Sean Spicer either has a short memory or a very long nose, based on comments he made Monday morning regarding Oprah Winfrey....

“She doesn’t have the political infrastructure,” Spicer said. “And we’ve seen this before in our history — where people who have tried to pop in who are not in politics and have had a difficult time adjusting.”

The show’s host, Piers Morgan — also a former “Celebrity Apprentice” winner — seemed like he couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“Sean, Sean, Sean!” he said in response. “The current president of the United States had no political experience! Sean! You were his press secretary! Have you forgotten Donald Trump?!” ...
:lol:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Was it really the Obama-haters that got us in this mess? How did it happen that a person with no political experience at all (never mind who's an asshole) gets elected President*? There were other candidates in the clown car that should have been satisfactory to the drooling class. Remember when Reagan was trashed over having been "an actor"? Well, sure - but he was also previously President of SAG and twice Governor of Cali - hardly a total lightweight even if you don't like his policies or found him less than the sharpest knife. You have to go all the way back to Eisenhower to find a President with no political experience - if in fact you can say that a 5-star General and Army Chief of Staff has no political experience. And Trump is definitely no Eisenhower.

So now are we going to elect celebrities as President? I've got nothing against Oprah, and I suppose the idea of an Oprah Presidency is sort of fun, but only in a trivial way. Or maybe that's why we were Trumped - all the people who though being rude and crude and rich are good presidential characteristics so as to stick it to the libs couldn't get past the "trivial" part because they have no clue what a real President should do.

Besides, if you want a rude crude rich guy who can't get along with anybody, they had Cruz, who at least was a Senator.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:03 am
O Really wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:56 am
Tom Steyer for president? There's a web domain for that.

I'm still seeing the ads on other networks. Love them, don't need another billionaire with zero political experience as POTUS.
Didn't need the first one - even if it had been somebody other than Trump.
Oprah 'actively thinking' of running for the White House

Nope.

Sean Spicer Dismisses Oprah Winfrey Presidential Run Because Of Inexperience

Sean Spicer either has a short memory or a very long nose, based on comments he made Monday morning regarding Oprah Winfrey....

“She doesn’t have the political infrastructure,” Spicer said. “And we’ve seen this before in our history — where people who have tried to pop in who are not in politics and have had a difficult time adjusting.”

The show’s host, Piers Morgan — also a former “Celebrity Apprentice” winner — seemed like he couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“Sean, Sean, Sean!” he said in response. “The current president of the United States had no political experience! Sean! You were his press secretary! Have you forgotten Donald Trump?!” ...
:lol:

In the age of celebrity, you may have to.

How many non politicians have been president? Are there more than Washington?

Answer this
Dems voted for the governator and a rasslin guy for governor. That meets the bar claimed for Ronnie's qualifications for president- as claimed in this thread.

Unlike trump, the woman has managed a successful business and is an actual billionaire. She didn't get there by not listening, not being involved, and watching TV in bed with McDonalds.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 am
Was it really the Obama-haters that got us in this mess? How did it happen that a person with no political experience at all (never mind who's an asshole) gets elected President*? There were other candidates in the clown car that should have been satisfactory to the drooling class. Remember when Reagan was trashed over having been "an actor"? Well, sure - but he was also previously President of SAG and twice Governor of Cali - hardly a total lightweight even if you don't like his policies or found him less than the sharpest knife. You have to go all the way back to Eisenhower to find a President with no political experience - if in fact you can say that a 5-star General and Army Chief of Staff has no political experience. And Trump is definitely no Eisenhower.

So now are we going to elect celebrities as President? I've got nothing against Oprah, and I suppose the idea of an Oprah Presidency is sort of fun, but only in a trivial way. Or maybe that's why we were Trumped - all the people who though being rude and crude and rich are good presidential characteristics so as to stick it to the libs couldn't get past the "trivial" part because they have no clue what a real President should do.

Besides, if you want a rude crude rich guy who can't get along with anybody, they had Cruz, who at least was a Senator.

Just as bush was the main recruiter for alqueada, so was Obama for the get out the racist vote.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:52 am
... Answer this
Dems voted for the governator and a rasslin guy for governor. That meets the bar claimed for Ronnie's qualifications for president- as claimed in this thread.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was a bit of a unique case. Weird stuff happens in special recall elections, that one to oust an unpopular Dem. Then, Schwarzenegger had 3 years experience when he was reelected.
I'm not saying he was necessarily qualified, but we've probably had a lot of Governors that didn't have any more executive experience than being mayor for four years, and many that had less.

Unlike trump, the woman has managed a successful business and is an actual billionaire. She didn't get there by not listening, not being involved, and watching TV in bed with McDonalds.

I think Oprah is great and you describe some important qualifications. I just don't think they're sufficient for the job.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Arnold would have won if he could have e run. What was his experience - I don't think he even played a politician.

A good level headed Senator would have the most experience, but I have no idea how being a governor prepares you for president any more than running any big company.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:07 am

I think Oprah is great and you describe some important qualifications. I just don't think they're sufficient for the job.
[/quote]

Pretty much describes Kris Jenner, too, except maybe the billionaire part.

Point being, success in governing takes skills that aren't always necessary in business and other endeavors. Some people can have those skills no matter what field they're in, but realistically, most big-time business people do not. When you've spent your life being successful by giving orders and having toadies jump, it's not easy to adjust to having to deal with city councils, state legislatures, or Congress. When your goals are defined by profits and keeping investors happy, it's a different world to try to bring services to a large and diverse population.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

I couldn't quote you

My main point is
You can't go back
The box is open
This is where we are

Washington and Ike both came from command type positions. Maybe Jackson too.
If course two of the above really sucked.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:18 am
Arnold would have won if he could have e run. What was his experience - I don't think he even played a politician.

Not much. He had name recognition, the association with the Kennedy, Reagan and Shrub clans, and skipped the whole primary process the first time.

A good level headed Senator would have the most experience, but I have no idea how being a governor prepares you for president any more than running any big company.

People argue that executive experience is more important for the job than federal legislative experience. From JFK until Obama we chose executive experience - former governors, former or sitting VPs and a former CIA director.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
...I have no idea how being a governor prepares you for president any more than running any big company.
Depends on the state. Some governors have a lot of executive authority, and in a big state with big budgets and a lot of conflicting priorities, the job can be as good a training ground as you're going to get. In other states (yes, you, Sarah, et. al.), not so much. Arkansas certainly wouldn't have counted as top tier experience, except that in Clinton's case, he'd been working toward being President most of his life.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Doesn't Oprah have executive experience?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:49 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Not much. He had name recognition, the association with the Kennedy, Reagan and Shrub clans, and skipped the whole primary process the first time.

People argue that executive experience is more important for the job than federal legislative experience. From JFK until Obama we chose executive experience - former governors, former or sitting VPs and a former CIA director.
Enough voted for his movie character to put him over the top

Same with trump. They voted for the fictional character who would Fire incompetence. They had no idea that as close as he will ever come to firing anyone, is by passive/aggressive memo.

We are in a new age.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 am
Yes, and she'll play that up like POSPOTUS did if she runs. However, it's the dictatorial type that O Really describes above, not the cooperative/compromising type that is needed in politics.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Yes, and she'll play that up like POSPOTUS did if she runs. However, it's the dictatorial type that O Really describes above, not the cooperative/compromising type that is needed in politics.

washington?
Jackson?
Ike?
Grant?

could have been more

there is no experience level for this job
and
these are our times

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

from wiki
Winfrey was named "Orpah" on her birth certificate after the biblical figure in the Book of Ruth, but people mispronounced it regularly and "Oprah" stuck
Winfrey was born in Kosciusko, Mississippi, to an unmarried teenage mother

fter Winfrey's birth, her mother traveled north and Winfrey spent her first six years living in rural poverty with her maternal grandmother, Hattie Mae (Presley) Lee (April 15, 1900 – February 27, 1963), who was so poor that Winfrey often wore dresses made of potato sacks, for which the local children made fun of her.[30][31] Her grandmother taught her to read before the age of three and took her to the local church, where she was nicknamed "The Preacher" for her ability to recite Bible verses. When Winfrey was a child, her grandmother would hit her with a stick when she did not do chores or if she misbehaved in any way.[32]
At age six, Winfrey moved to an inner-city neighborhood in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, with her mother Vernita Lee, who was less supportive and encouraging than her grandmother had been,

makes apretty good story

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:11 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
washington? Everyone lacked US governmental experience.
Jackson? So-so POTUS, #18, crappy IMO.
Ike? He couldn't dictate to the British, French and Russians . . . or Patton. :D
Grant? So-so POTUS, #22.

I didn't vote for any of them. :P

could have been more

there is no experience level for this job

True, but we all think that some type and level of experience is important. I don't like it when someone runs for the US House without ever having been elected to something else.

and
these are our times

Agreed. I don't think she will run or that she will get elected, but she could and there are worse possibilities.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Warren Buffet says (about hiring), look for intelligence, experience, and integrity, but if you don't have #3, the other two don't matter.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Anyone have an opinion on Cory Booker?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:25 pm
Anyone have an opinion on Cory Booker?
Not really, but we've discussed him some here:

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ker#p69703

http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ker#p80551
Other than on education, I like his Political positions. He has a helluva resume.
1312. ETTD.